The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Winter Tires

Armada

So as some of you know I'm a skier and I love to hit the mountain. Now normally last year I'd go up only on days when it wasn't snowing cause I only had all season tires but since my all season tires are starting to wear, I'm planning on just buying winter tires this season. (Then new all seasons in spring)

I found this Craigslist ad for 4 winter tires with alloys for $650

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/pts/3384927342.html

Now I drive a 97 Mazda MX6 with 15 inch rims so my tire size is P205/55R15 and the craigslist ad says the winter tires are 205/55/R16. So I believe that's a 16 inch rim. Would I still be able to get those wheels if they're on a bigger rim? The Wheel bolt pattern matches with 114.3 and they've been driven for 5000km's so I'm guessing they probably still have 75%-80% trim.

Or does anyone else suggest another place for winter tires, they're fairly expensive for my wheel size. Midas said around $1000 for tires, wheels and labor.

1 inch maybe will fit on your car, but can damage if you encouter obstacles at high speeds.

pay 1000 bucks for a set that you will use for one season seems a waste of money (unless you are a professional skier going everyday to the mouintain, or you are Kimi Raikkonen of Formula-1), $650 sounds more suitable...

if your tire is still on 75/80% you can use normally, just be carefull if you encouter a very sliperry asphalt or heavy snow. sometimes you may use chains to compesate the 5000kms use...

you can also use the "engine brake", it will increase your fuel use but it really works...

OR you can retrofit your tire, it´s like a repair but they add rubber on the missing points and re-shape your tire. on 90% it will make your tire like new but you can´t do this (retrofit) again...

As was previously mentioned, these tires will have a larger circumference than your stock tires - which will result in your speedo being off (low) by about 4%. It may seem like a small amount, but it really matters. The engineers designed the car as a complete package, and significantly changing one aspect of it can dramatically alter handling and performance.

Also, the bolt size & pattern are the least of your 'fit' issues. I would be more concerned with the backspace or offset of the wheels and clearance around brake calipers. The wheel bolt set that goes with the tires/wheels would be of absolutely no value for you, since Mazda uses a standard stud & nut system.

I would consider something like the Nokian WRG2. It's an all-season tire (100,000km tread wear warranty) but is rated for winter use. They're a good all-round tire, very capable in the dry and wet, and respectably decent on ice & snow - no, they're not as good as a dedicated, studded winter tire, but they're just fine if you're a reasonably competent winter driver. They're not cheap, but you'll save some money over time not having to change tires twice a year.

My $0.02

So 1 inch can potentially rub then? But I always see cars with stock 16inch rims that have been upgraded to 18-20 inch rims and it works fine?

I'm not so concerned with a change in the speedometer but will it mess with the computer long term when I switch back to the 15 inch all seasons?

How much are winter tires normally? Midas said about $1100 with labor and tires,

https://shop.kaltire.../brandsearch/1/

These are the tires I just bought for my 2005 Acura EL, as I'm living in Kelowna but I needed something that isn's strictly a winter tire and could deal with rain and hydroplaning driving home to Victoria (like all the rain vancouver had mid-october, the highways were brutal all the way to Merritt). I don't remember the exact cost, but I got 4 steel rims with the 4 tires obviously at 54.99 or something like that, so it came out to about 200 a tire.

Seems expensive, but I figure it's more of an investment as they'll last me for years.

Plus, if you buy them through Kal Tire and ever get a flat, they'll fix it for you for free.

Depending on your wheel wells, those tires may rub. It's best to follow the correct tire size.

https://shop.kaltire.../brandsearch/1/

These are the tires I just bought for my 2005 Acura EL, as I'm living in Kelowna but I needed something that isn's strictly a winter tire and could deal with rain and hydroplaning driving home to Victoria (like all the rain vancouver had mid-october, the highways were brutal all the way to Merritt). I don't remember the exact cost, but I got 4 steel rims with the 4 tires obviously at 54.99 or something like that, so it came out to about 200 a tire.

Seems expensive, but I figure it's more of an investment as they'll last me for years.

Plus, if you buy them through Kal Tire and ever get a flat, they'll fix it for you for free.

Depending on your wheel wells, those tires may rub. It's best to follow the correct tire size, even though it's highly unlikely that one inch will create rubbing.

So I'm passing on these wheels and tires.

I phoned a shop and they have tires that are a bit smaller but will work on my car. They're Nokian 195/55R15 for $510 after labor and tax.

The only issue is they'll be mounted on my current wheels so most likely i'll buy completely new rims in the spring.

$1000 for winter tires?? I would probably go down to the states and get them. I actually never have put winter tires on my car since I usually take transit if it snows badly and there might only be 1 week of snow in Vancouver throughout the whole year.

So I'm passing on these wheels and tires.

I phoned a shop and they have tires that are a bit smaller but will work on my car. They're Nokian 195/55R15 for $510 after labor and tax.

The only issue is they'll be mounted on my current wheels so most likely i'll buy completely new rims in the spring.

$1000 for winter tires?? I would probably go down to the states and get them. I actually never have put winter tires on my car since I usually take transit if it snows badly and there might only be 1 week of snow in Vancouver throughout the whole year.

Archived