The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Questions regarding Lou and the amnesty clause....Answers please

nuck luck

1) Regardless of the new clauses the NHL wants to attach to the negotiations to penalize teams for circumventing the previous contract agreements, won't the amnesty clause give the teams an option to circumvent this?

If we used the amnesty clause on Lou... doesn't that mean we won't be held responsible for his cap when he retires?

2) If a team uses this amnesty clause on any given player, will it make that player a RFA or still property of the team?

3) If we use this amnesty clause on Lou...I'm assuming he will get paid out in full or a significant portion of his contract. If he does become a RFA... he could literally double his income without playing a single game this year! guess this isn't a question....

4) The way Bryz has been playing recently.... I'm pretty sure that Philly won't hesitate to use the amnesty clause on him. I wonder if Lou would accept a trade there and who we could get or want from them? (providing it doesn't make Lou a RFA)

What other teams would use this amnesty clause on their keepers? This should drive up Lou's return ten-fold....depending on the number of teams who would use the amnesty clause on their keepers. The only thing, supposedly, holding everyone back is the length of Lou's contract...if that wasn't part of the equation.... MG would be considered a genius for not trading Lou prior to the lockout :)

5) I wonder if this would make one of the Panthers prospects available or the Oilers? .... the untouchable ones?

6) I keep going back and forth.... I wanted Lou traded, but I'm a little worried about Schneids on his first stint. I think Schneids can handle it, but there's definitely thoughts that creep back in. I thought Lou had a problem keeping his mouth shut at certain times....than he turns things around during the lockout and I love everything he's saying. I think we won't get much for trading him, but the longer this runs and if the clause (above) comes into effect.....I think we can maximize our returns.

Regardless, I have HUGE respect for Lou for not screwing us around and demanding a trade or anything of the sort (I wouldn't have been surprised if he did)...he's letting MG hold the cards to try and get as much value as possible. If Lou acted otherwise, we'd be forced to trade him at a discount like Columbus and Nash.... (I guess this one isn't much of a question too)

I am excited to see Schneids at #1, but I'll be sad to see Lou go :( Love him or hate him....he is doing what he said from the beginning, he's doing everything he can to help bring Lord Stanley to Van (unfortunately, it may be via trading him).

At this point, the amnesty clause is just pure rumour / speculation, so it is impossible to answer any of your questions without guessing. Until the new CBA is agreed upon and ratified, nobody knows for sure.

Having said that though, based on what has been speculated...

1 - Yes, it essentially gives the team the option of walking away from the cap hit of one contract. Not certain yet if it gives them the ability to walk away from the dollars promised though.

2 - It would make them UFA.

3 - You're right, it's not a question.

4 - I don't see him wanting to go there. Stranger things have happened though.

5 - If a Panther prospect isn't available now, I don't see one coming available due to any amnesty clause. If Lu was bought out and released, he would be UFA and they could just sign him themselves.

6 - Again, not a question, but I basically agree with you.

if the nhl approved these deals as they circumvented the cap, i can't see how they can turn around and impose new rules on them now. i can see those contracts being grandfathered in.

why would the aquillini's payout 10 years of lu's contract?...the nhl approved the giant signings and contracts of nash, suter and parise. do they force these teams to renegotiate these deals and pay 10 mil each year for 5 yrs and then re-sign them for another 5 years...same with nashville?.....what about kovalchuk's contract?...

the league made a big mistake, leaving loop holes in the contract...the new cba needs to close those holes...from happening again.

People all think Schneids is the next Quick or something... I think everyone is gonna regret and miss trading Lu, he's a star through and through and no matter what haters or doubters say, he will go down as one of the best. Maybe not quite as good as Roy or Brodeur, but definitely just under and around that same calibre. I mean if Fleury and Niemi can win cups, I know Lu can do it too.

Forget seeing him on some crappy team like Toronto that in all likelihood won't even come close to winning a cup in the next 10 years or a Florida team that won't either.. I'd like to see him playing on a team like Philly as you stated, or Detroit or even Chicago. I wish him all the best no matter how it turns out in any case-- Schneids will do good, don't sweat it. :blink:

All that aside, I hope we see a new CBA so we can start watching hockey by Dec 1st, what a great birthday present that would be! :P

I can't imagine MG using the amnesty clause on Luongo. It's usually for the likes of Wade Redden or Yashin contract, or the infamous RDP deal.

Luongo is still wanted by some teams; and if it was Lu's contract that made other teams hesitate, the availability of this amnesty provision would only strengthen his demand b/c other teams could now just buy him out at the end of his contract without taking a cap hit.

If MG has held out this long bc he doesn't like the trade offers coming his way, I strongly doubt he'll just buy Luongo out for nothing.

As for Schneider, I think the team is pretty set on making him a starter. Yes, he's "unproven" as a goalie who can play 50-60 games. But no young goalie comes "proven" - to that end, it is an inevitable "gamble" but note that he's proven to be an elite goaltender on every level. The biggest attribute Schneids has over Luongo is his age. No one's guaranteeing Schneider will have Quick's numbers and win us a championship. But it's a smart investment considering his track record, money, salary cap, age, potential, etc. etc.

People all think Schneids is the next Quick or something... I think everyone is gonna regret and miss trading Lu, he's a star through and through and no matter what haters or doubters say, he will go down as one of the best. Maybe not quite as good as Roy or Brodeur, but definitely just under and around that same calibre. I mean if Fleury and Niemi can win cups, I know Lu can do it too.

Forget seeing him on some crappy team like Toronto that in all likelihood won't even come close to winning a cup in the next 10 years or a Florida team that won't either.. I'd like to see him playing on a team like Philly as you stated, or Detroit or even Chicago. I wish him all the best no matter how it turns out in any case-- Schneids will do good, don't sweat it. :blink:

All that aside, I hope we see a new CBA so we can start watching hockey by Dec 1st, what a great birthday present that would be! :P

I'm sorry, Luongo will never be mentioned in the same breath as Roy or Brodeur. Those guys have multiple Stanley Cups, Vezinas, Jennings, All-star appearances, Hall of Fame inductions (Roy now, Brodeur later), and are 1-2 in wins regular season and playoffs.

As for Fleury and Niemi winning cups and Luongo not, those guys were clutch when they needed to be for as long as it took to win their respective cups. Luongo never has been and with his track record of melting down might never will be. He is going on 34 years old so he has very few years to get his sh*t together.

Would bet you anything that Lu will retire not in the top 10 in playoff wins because he has to more than double his current total and then some to do that.

If you think it is fair to compare Lu to Brodeur and Roy then you are beyond stupid.

Lu has about the 1/5 of playoff wins as Roy,,,1/3 of Brodeur.

Roy and Broduer combined for 7 stanley cups and 7 vezinas,,,Lu has ZERO.

Lu came to a Canucks team that average 99 points for the 3 seasons prior to being traded here. A team that had the Sedins, Burrows, Kesler ready to become good/stars in this league and in Lu's 6 years here has 32 playoff wins for an average of 5.33 or 1 million dollars salary for an ungodly length of time per playoff win.

I never catogorized, I simply said he would finish top 10 in wins all time, that is NOT arguable.

The fact of the matter is Luongo was a major factor in putting the Canucks on the map. I never said it was fair to compare, obviously it was a different game back then, but the new NHL has to have superstar goalies aswell, and in this new NHL Luongo is one of the best in the game. You can spout off all you want about him not winning the SC but it's not an individual game it's a team sport.

Is there another prior Canucks goalie who has 32 playoff wins in 6 years?

Sounds to me like you another "fan" who thinks because you have a good goalie you automatically should win the SC, and if they don't then he is your scapegoat.

Stop being a fan of the Stanly Cup and start being a fan of the game, it really makes it much more enjoyable

Oh ya, you really shouldn't bring money into the equasion, because it's not your money so it shouldn't matter what he makes.

"I pay for tickets, merchandise so I do pay his wages" is not a valid arguement either. You pay F.A. and he pays the players, you have NO idea where your funds ended up.

Will Luongo's name be mentioned in the same breathe as Roy and Brodeur? absolutly.

Is it a fair comparison? tough to say as the game was too different when they played, still doesn't take away from Luongo and how great he's played in todays game.

So out of the two of us, I am the stupid one?

Like I already mentioned, Roy and Brodeur have won numerous major awards, are 1-2 in wins, are and will be Hall of Famers.

Luongo has a share of the Jennings trophy and very few years left to accomplish anything significant, especially since he will probably finish up in Florida or TO. You cannot mention Luongo alongside those other two guys.

You've got the stupid market cornered, F off.

He still needs 72 wins to make 10th, and if he is not dealt and is the Canucks back up and plays poorly to start the season Mr Luongo will make himself basically valueless and will remain with us until he is inevitably sent to the minors.

Almost 34 year old goalies who have 45 million remaining are really not that high in demand, and if there is no season period this year it is much more likely he will NOT make top 10 in wins.

Archived