53 replies to this topic

#31 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

Bostons goalie won the conn smythe trophy.

If you look at the shots on goal in the series, the Bruins had no real advantage.

Again, if the shots are virtually the same , and the one goalie wins the MVP, stands to reason it aint the scorers.

Captain obvious says .............Luongo was good in 3 games......................Thomas was good in 7 games.
Posted Image

#32 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

Bostons goalie won the conn smythe trophy.

Captain obvious says .............Luongo was good in 3 games......................Thomas was good in 7 games.

Thomas was really unbeatable that series, even the games he lost he was great. And Lou did play great in 3 games....

#33 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

Thomas was really unbeatable that series, even the games he lost he was great. And Lou did play great in 3 games....

Like I've said before, we only scored 8 goals because that's all Thomas would allow. Our team was outgoalied in that series big time.

#34 beer&meat

beer&meat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

Like I've said before, we only scored 8 goals because that's all Thomas would allow. Our team was outgoalied in that series big time.

Thats where your logic is flawed, a big fat ZERO will not win you games.
1 goal or 8 goals, a loss is a loss. Even if Boston only scored 1 goal, the Canucks scored ZERO! which is still a loss.
Like I said before, Thomas only let in 1 less goal in the Tampa series than Luongo did in the Boston series, difference is....wait for it....HIS TEAM SCORED TOO!!
The problem with you is that when the team plays bad you expect Luongo to bail them out, but when Luongo plays bad you dump on him instead of putting the shoe on the other foot and expecting the rest of the team to bail him out.
The scoring was not there, neither was the defence, Luongo cannot be expected to steal every game in a 7 game series, except for people like you who have been spoiled and have unrealistic expectations.

Edited by beer&meat, 14 November 2012 - 07:38 PM.

I don't ride with the band, I roll with the team.

I've been a Canuck fan since 2004-05 when the team was going through a huge transition phase, missed the playoffs

#35 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

Thats where your logic is flawed, a big fat ZERO will not win you games.
1 goal or 8 goals, a loss is a loss. Even if Boston only scored 1 goal, the Canucks scored ZERO! which is still a loss.
Like I said before, Thomas only let in 1 less goal in the Tampa series than Luongo did in the Boston series, difference is....wait for it....HIS TEAM SCORED TOO!!
The problem with you is that when the team plays bad you expect Luongo to bail them out, but when Luongo plays bad you dump on him instead of putting the shoe on the other foot and expecting the rest of the team to bail him out.
The scoring was not there, neither was the defence, Luongo cannot be expected to steal every game in a 7 game series, except for people like you who have been spoiled and have unrealistic expectations.

That is true, a loss is a loss. On the other hand, there is losing and there is getting embarrassed, the latter happened to the Canucks. I would understand that if Dan Cloutier was in our goal but not Luongo and the Boston series wasn't the first time that happened.
Yes we scored ZERO goals because Thomas would not allow more than that, we were outgoalied plain and simple.
Is it unrealistic for fans to expect their "elite" goaltender not to get ventilated regularly in playoff games? Like I already said, losing is one thing, I can accept that, getting annihilated is another which I do not accept. It is Luongo's job to make sure that doesn't happen and he hasn't done that consistently enough.

#36 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

Well game three the offense would have to score nine goals to win... not going to happen. Game 4 he lets in 4 goals in 4 minutes ends up with .800 save percentage, not going to win with stats like that either. Game 6 he lets in 3 goals on 12 shots for a blistering .750 save percentage... again, not going to win against Thomas. Game 7 they should have won... but Luongo kept letting in goal after goal and Thomas played great. Yes the team lost... but Luongo played horrible in the losses and Thomas played like a Vezina winner does.

If they could have gone into the third periods in those games trailing by a goal each game, they would have had a fighting chance.

#37 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

Well game three the offense would have to score nine goals to win... not going to happen. Game 4 he lets in 4 goals in 4 minutes ends up with .800 save percentage, not going to win with stats like that either. Game 6 he lets in 3 goals on 12 shots for a blistering .750 save percentage... again, not going to win against Thomas. Game 7 they should have won... but Luongo kept letting in goal after goal and Thomas played great. Yes the team lost... but Luongo played horrible in the losses and Thomas played like a Vezina winner does.

If they could have gone into the third periods in those games trailing by a goal each game, they would have had a fighting chance.

Right on.
A fighting chance in those games and maybe we have a Stanley Cup right now, if we ended up losing the games by a goal or two it would've also been a bit easier to live with as well.

#38 beer&meat

beer&meat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

Right on.
A fighting chance in those games and maybe we have a Stanley Cup right now, if we ended up losing the games by a goal or two it would've also been a bit easier to live with as well.

There was no fight from puck drop in game #1, the series was over before it even started.
Hating on someone based on some maybes is pretty immature IMO.

I've been a Canuck fan since 2004-05 when the team was going through a huge transition phase, missed the playoffs

#39 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

There was no fight from puck drop in game #1, the series was over before it even started.
Hating on someone based on some maybes is pretty immature IMO.

Have it your way. It was everyone's fault but Luongo's, happy?

#40 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,485 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

How about just...it was everyones fault...and leave it at that.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#41 beer&meat

beer&meat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

I never once said Luongo was without fault.
My arguement is that Luongo is far above the level you put him at.

Could Luongo have played better in the SC run? - Yes
Is he the reason the Canucks lost? - No
Is Luongo a bad goalie? - No

#42 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

I never once said Luongo was without fault.
My arguement is that Luongo is far above the level you put him at.

Could Luongo have played better in the SC run? - Yes
Is he the reason the Canucks lost? - No
Is Luongo a bad goalie? - No

You could also do it this way...

Did Luongo suck in all 4 losses - yes
Has a goalie ever had a worse performance than Luongo's four losses - No
Is it time to realize his days are over- yes

#43 JensenFan2011

JensenFan2011

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

I'm sorry, Luongo will never be mentioned in the same breath as Roy or Brodeur. Those guys have multiple Stanley Cups, Vezinas, Jennings, All-star appearances, Hall of Fame inductions (Roy now, Brodeur later), and are 1-2 in wins regular season and playoffs.
As for Fleury and Niemi winning cups and Luongo not, those guys were clutch when they needed to be for as long as it took to win their respective cups. Luongo never has been and with his track record of melting down might never will be. He is going on 34 years old so he has very few years to get his sh*t together.

Luongo out played brodeur to win canada the gold medal... wait thats a sentence :o

#44 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:32 AM

Luongo out played brodeur to win canada the gold medal... wait thats a sentence :o

Yeah and Team Universe in front of him had nothing to do with it...
Brodeur had already accomplished everything a goalie could, Luongo has not so who cares.

#45 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

one would hope a 30 year old Luongo should be able to outperform a 37 year old Brodeur at that time.
Funny how that age thing GENERALLY works. Almost all goalies start to decline in their mid 30s, and Lu will be 34 come playoff time if their is a 2012-13 season,

#46 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,485 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

Yeah and Team Universe in front of him had nothing to do with it...
Brodeur had already accomplished everything a goalie could, Luongo has not so who cares.

So team universe couldn't help Marty ******* Brodeur?

I know you are not capable of giving Luongo any credit for anything but seriously put a little thought into things you say first.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#47 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

So team universe couldn't help Marty ******* Brodeur?

I know you are not capable of giving Luongo any credit for anything but seriously put a little thought into things you say first.

I give Luongo credit for winning the Gold Medal, but to more or less say that he did it himself is ridiculous.
Marty Brodeur was very nearly 38 years old at the time, it was impressive that he was and still is playing NHL hockey, nevermind Olympic hockey.

#48 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,727 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:38 AM

Lol at people saying Thomas played like a god. He looked like a sieve against Tampa. Rinne almost got spanked the series before too.

Every year in the playoffs, every goalie the Canucks play look like a god. The ONLY time we've been scoring in recent history was when we ate SJ's crapty D alive. Every other goalie, even Crawford, would look like a god randomly. Even though they were exposed and exploited even in prior series. Not sure how Nashville can give up so many goals then look like they have a goalie god the very next series, or how Tampa can all but bend over Boston offensively, yet we come in and look incompetent at scoring.

The current Canucks team sucks at playoff offense, and we are extremely susceptible to injury and crappy defense on top of that. It was amazing how Keith and Seabrook can clear rebounds in front of mediocre goalies, yet we had 6-7 guys rotating in and they can't even defend a rush randomly.

Could Luongo have pulled a Hasek and carried the Canucks? Sure, but you show me an 'elite' goalie and I'll point out a team that either traps, or has amazing defenders. Luongo did what Thomas, Rinne, and Quick did on a florida team that blew.

People use to want to trade Luongo for Mason on CBJ. And people on CDC always use to whack off to Leclaire too. News flash, when their massively defensive coach left, both of those goalies sucked.

And I'm just seriously sorry, but our defense is just not on par with anyone Luongo gets compared with these days. In 06 Canucks played the trap and Luongo looked like the second coming of christ. After that year, Canucks tried to play all in offensively from the back, and I'm not sure why, because our defense just isn't good at doing that stuff. They're slow, and make a lot of bad decisions. Boston is one of the better defensive teams and has a superstar logging big minutes. Nashville is extremely tight defensively and had two stars. Honestly, Luongo and Lundqvist have been the most consistent goalies on mediocre or sketchy D teams in the last decade. NYR trapped but they still kinda blew. Vancouver has a good team but they don't really play a conservative style. Our D like to pinch and fail and give up loads of oddman rushes and breaks.

#49 bjh

bjh

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:04 AM

People all think Schneids is the next Quick or something... I think everyone is gonna regret and miss trading Lu, he's a star through and through and no matter what haters or doubters say, he will go down as one of the best. Maybe not quite as good as Roy or Brodeur, but definitely just under and around that same calibre. I mean if Fleury and Niemi can win cups, I know Lu can do it too.

Forget seeing him on some crappy team like Toronto that in all likelihood won't even come close to winning a cup in the next 10 years or a Florida team that won't either.. I'd like to see him playing on a team like Philly as you stated, or Detroit or even Chicago. I wish him all the best no matter how it turns out in any case-- Schneids will do good, don't sweat it. :blink:

All that aside, I hope we see a new CBA so we can start watching hockey by Dec 1st, what a great birthday present that would be! :P

I agree.

Schneider is still very much unproven and I'm definitely nervous rolling into future seasons. I'm fairly confident but it could turn out to be a bust.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#50 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

Would bet you anything that Lu will retire not in the top 10 in playoff wins because he has to more than double his current total and then some to do that.
If you think it is fair to compare Lu to Brodeur and Roy then you are beyond stupid.
Lu has about the 1/5 of playoff wins as Roy,,,1/3 of Brodeur.
Roy and Broduer combined for 7 stanley cups and 7 vezinas,,,Lu has ZERO.
Lu came to a Canucks team that average 99 points for the 3 seasons prior to being traded here. A team that had the Sedins, Burrows, Kesler ready to become good/stars in this league and in Lu's 6 years here has 32 playoff wins for an average of 5.33 or 1 million dollars salary for an ungodly length of time per playoff win.

Of course the Sedins, Burrows and Kesler were on the way to become stars in the league. Because Luongo would save their a$$ night after night, giving them time to develop slowly without having the media writing cr*p about them because Luongo's stellar performances took away all the attention.

Do you really think the Sedins would have stayed in Vancouver if Luongo wasn't here? I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't want to be on an average team, and make over $1 million less than what Toronto was offering....

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#51 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

Of course the Sedins, Burrows and Kesler were on the way to become stars in the league. Because Luongo would save their a$$ night after night, giving them time to develop slowly without having the media writing cr*p about them because Luongo's stellar performances took away all the attention.

Do you really think the Sedins would have stayed in Vancouver if Luongo wasn't here? I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't want to be on an average team, and make over $1 million less than what Toronto was offering....

So things that the media writes in the newspaper or whatever will effect a hockey player's on ice performance?

The Canucks were only really average in 07/08 but aside from 10/11 and 11/12, their regular seasons were good but nothing to get super excited about.

#52 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

Can we please get back on topic?

By the way,I still haven't forgiven Luongo for costing the nucks the Cup.

Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#53 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

Why is it everyone who defends Luongo's performance in the finals against Boston always seem to AVOID the fact Thomas won the Conn Smythe

Why is it they also AVOID the shots on goal in that series? The bruins did not outshoot the canucks. The canucks offense did not SHUT DOWN..

Tim Thomas was noticably better than Roberto Luongo was. Why is that so hard to admit?

The shots and scoring chances were actually in the canucks favor slightly.
Posted Image

#54 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

Why is it everyone who defends Luongo's performance in the finals against Boston always seem to AVOID the fact Thomas won the Conn Smythe

Why is it they also AVOID the shots on goal in that series? The bruins did not outshoot the canucks. The canucks offense did not SHUT DOWN..

Tim Thomas was noticably better than Roberto Luongo was. Why is that so hard to admit?

The shots and scoring chances were actually in the canucks favor slightly.

Everybody also brings up how we only scored 8 goals and somehow that makes it ok for Luongo to have a meltdown.
We only scored 8 because that's how good Thomas was and Luongo couldn't come close to matching him. We were outgoalied.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.