Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 5 votes

Burrows, jersey retired or Ring of Honour?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Poll: Burrows, jersey retired or Ring of Honour? (167 member(s) have cast votes)

Ring of Honour or Jersey retired?

1. Retire his jersey (9 votes [5.39%])

Percentage of vote: 5.39%

2. Ring of Honour (57 votes [34.13%])

Percentage of vote: 34.13%

3. Neither (28 votes [16.77%])

Percentage of vote: 16.77%

4. Too early to tell (73 votes [43.71%])

Percentage of vote: 43.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 numb3r 16

numb3r 16

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

lets put him in the ROH and i am a big fan

Posted Image

Edited by numb3r 16, 14 November 2012 - 07:34 PM.

#62 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

Let's wait until he plays out his career here, at which point we'll celebrate his accomplishments. Impossible to know at this point, as he's right in the thick of things and this party ain't over yet.

I say we elect him Prime Minister, put a large statue of him on the roof at GM Place and name every baby that is born after him. For a start....

Unfortunately Deb i think everyones party is over this year? Thus our core group dwindles away another year of their prime. :sadno:

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#63 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:07 AM

How about we just retire everybody's number. Then we can move on to letters.
Posted Image

#64 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

I think it's too early to tell. So far he's proven himself to be a Canuck through and through. He's really proven that the team comes first in his eyes. I think, if he gets dealt, it will be a management decision and no want of his own and I feel he will be really upset. Personally, I could see 14, 33 and 22 all being retired and put into the ring of honor. I think they have proven that they are the best line we've ever had and are loyal Canucks. If he stays a Canuck for the majority of his career, then I say absolutely.

#65 KelownaCanucksFan

KelownaCanucksFan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

I'm all for burrows being in the ring of honor, he is clutch and has scored very big goals for this team. That shorty against Carolina that turned that season around, game 7 ot. Etc
No to the jersey retirement, as it is only Linden and Bure deserve their jerseys in the rafters, unless burrows scores every game winner while bringing a cup to Vancouver then maybe

Posted Image
Thanks to GoaltenderInterference for the sig!

#66 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,406 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

How about we just retire everybody's number. Then we can move on to letters.

Haha I can see it now.

No Mr. Nilsson! You can't use your last name! We've already retired the letter 'n'!

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#67 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

As of today, definitely no to both.

But if he stays a Canuck, and continues to play well for us, he wouldn't be a bad choice for the ROH.

For jersey retirement, he would definitely need to put up at least point per game seasons for the rest of his career. Would need playoff numbers too. It's far fetched, but that's what I think it would take at this point.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#68 numb3r 16

numb3r 16

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

change of mind retire his jersey

#69 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

If he plays productively to the age of 50 then i say retire his number, anything short of that i say nothing!

#70 Thrill-House

Thrill-House

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:50 AM

That's what happens when we lower the standard by retiring Naslund.... he didn't bleed for this team like Smyl and Linden.

cause turning the franchise around in the 2000s deserves no recognition.
Posted Image

#71 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:03 AM

The problem with the Ring of Honours is that the requirements are just whoever are fan favourites who contributed to the Canucks organization.

Burrows fits both category, but there are also tons of other players who does as well.
Ronning, Ohlund, Morrison, Tanti, Odjick, Geoff Courtnall, Lumme, Greg Adams, Boudrias, Don Lever, etc..... eventually there will be no more rooms around the arena.

#72 Rhinocook

Rhinocook

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

I think either one is a bad call.... especially "if he were to retire today". Now hear me out. I have always really really like Burrows. I loved the way that he played with such intensity, came through with clutch goals and plays in ridiculous situations. He is a HUGE part of the Canucks last years of success. BUT, as a fan that spent years defending his antics to other NHL fans and Canucks haters, I have about had enough of his less than honorable antics. Don't get me wrong, I am still a fan of his, but when he kneels on a goalies groin, bites and pulls hair, it is a bit hard even as a Canucks fan to turn a blind eye. The diving and trying to draw calls gets embarrassing. None of the for-mentioned antics are honor worthy. The Ring on Honor and even more so having a jersey retired, are huge honors that showcase and hold on high, players that not only were highly skilled elite players, but that were also great ambassadors of the game and the games values. Those values that include honor, respect and integrity. It kills me to say this out loud, but Burrows is lacking in these areas. If the Canucks were to honor him it would only solidify the haters view that Vancouver is a breeding ground for whining cheap divers........

Now can Burrows change all this? Absolutely! And I for one really hope that he does. I love watching him play and love having him in our colours, but i am tired of having to defend his antics.
Sig is way too large, 500KB limit

#73 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,980 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

Burrows at this point in his career is a poor man's Greg Adams.

Adams was known for driving the net and consistent scoring.

Adams scored clutch playoff goals too. Triple OT in round 3 to knock off the Leafs. Double OT in game 1 of the 94 finals.

There is no chatter at all of retiring his number or ROH for Adams. This alone speaks volumes for Burr's chances.

It's funny because you think the majority of CDC knows who Greg Adams is.

Posted Image

Vintage Canuck's #1 Supporter

#74 Slegr

Slegr

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:31 AM

Aside from timely playoff goals, Adams and Burrows are nothing alike. Greg Adams was relatively slow, and a good size, Burrows is light and speedy. The closest former-Canuck comparison I have seen to Burrows is Martin Gelinas, although Burrows has much better hands and general hockey sense.
"I knew we had a great team. I told everyone if we play as a group, we can win it all. Everyone laughed. Now we're laughing."
-Jiri Slegr

#75 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

Aside from timely playoff goals, Adams and Burrows are nothing alike. Greg Adams was relatively slow, and a good size, Burrows is light and speedy. The closest former-Canuck comparison I have seen to Burrows is Martin Gelinas, although Burrows has much better hands and general hockey sense.

That is a bad comparison, Adams was a better player than Burrows.

#76 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,560 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

Ring of Honour.

307mg00.jpg

#77 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

I voted to wait and see.

Hes definitely ring of honor but lets see if he can add to his legend and make it to jersey retirement.
Posted Image

#78 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,345 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

There should not be any jerseys in the rafters unless a Stanley Cup has been won. No Linden, no Smyl, no Naslund, no Bure.

ROH is a great idea, fill it up with anyone noteworthy. But the fact that there are currently 3 jerseys hanging up in Rogers Arena, next to 0 Stanley Cup banners, is pretty laughable.

Riiiiight. Because no Cups means you can't have your jersey retired.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#79 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

It's funny because you think the majority of CDC knows who Greg Adams is.

Na, I get that a lot of the people here still have homework and zits. My comment was for those who don't.

#80 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

Na, I get that a lot of the people here still have homework and zits. My comment was for those who don't.

Greg Adams or Greg 'C' Adams?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.