The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Blue Jays megatrade

Gerg

for those non-basball fans who don't understand why this is such a great trade for the Jays...

It's the equivalent of this in the hockey world:

To Van:

Doan (Buerlhe)

Yandle (Johnson)

Vrbata (Reyes)

Chipchura (Bonaficio)

Bissonette (Buck)

To Pho:

Ballard (Escobar)

Raymond (Alvarez)

Weise (Mathis)

Schroeder (Hechavaria)

Connauton (Nicolino)

Corrado (Marinsick)

Mallet (DeSclafani)

for those non-basball fans who don't understand why this is such a great trade for the Jays...

To Van:

Doan (Buerlhe)

Yandle (Johnson)

Vrbata (Reyes)

Chipchura (Bonaficio)

Bissonette (Buck)

To Pho:

Ballard (Escobar)

Raymond (Alvarez)

Weise (Mathis)

Schroeder (Hechavaria)

Connauton (Nicolino)

Corrado (Marinsick)

Mallet (DeSclafani)

I'm not sure that is true, at least to start the year. They need to give D'Arnaud some time to heal and get his game back IMHO. You could be correct though as they now have Wilson and Buck on the bench.

I do think the Jays are looking for a couple of more pieces, probably a SP and a LH bat. I wouldn't be shocked if they actually sign a pitcher and move Buerlhe for a bat.

Further to my post, I do think the Jays should go after Melky Cabrera and Shaun Marcum.

Cabrera is a great defensive switch hitter who would be perfect for the 2 spot behind Reyes. I don't have that much concern about the steroid issue as I think he can hit .290 with 55 extra base hits and 20 SB. This would give the Jays the ability to keep one or both of Gose and Sierra in AAA for the bulk of the season.

Marcum has shown interest in returning apparently and is a fairly dependable #4 or better.

If they can get both of these guys I'd certainly be more open to trading Romero for a 1B. If the team budget allows for all three players then all the better. Cabrera and Marcum might both be cheaper than expected.

To Van:

Doan (Buerlhe)

Yandle (Johnson)

Vrbata (Reyes)

Chipchura (Bonaficio)

Bissonette (Buck)

To Pho:

Ballard (Escobar)

Raymond (Alvarez)

Weise (Mathis)

Schroeder (Hechavaria)

Connauton (Nicolino)

Corrado (Marinsick)

Mallet (DeSclafani)

There shouldn't be a case for revoking this deal IMO, they let the Boston - Dodgers trade go through (also three star-caliber players in Beckett, Adrian Gonzalez and Carl Crawford, plus a utility guy in Punto for Loney and four prospects) so on what basis could they possibly accept that firesale and reject this one? If anything that one was even more one-sided since the Sox got ONE, count it ONE average player (Loney ~ Escobar?) for three stars (granted, Crawford was injured and Beckett was slumping but A-Gon alone could've probably gotten a decent return) while the rest of the guys were prospects, whereas in this one the Marlins got two roster players in Alvarez and Hechavarria, plus three prospects.

This is what the Blue Jays lineup will probably look like, if the signing of Cabrera is finalized.

SS Jose Reyes

3B Brett Lawrie

LF Melky Cabrera

RF Jose Bautista

DH Edwin Encarnacion

1B Adam Lind

CF Colby Rasmus

C J.P. Arencibia

2B Maicer Izturis

SP Mark Buehrle

SP Josh Johnson

SP Brandon Morrow

SP Ricky Romero

SP J.A. Happ

CL Casey Janssen/Sergio Santos

This is what the Blue Jays lineup will probably look like, if the signing of Cabrera is finalized.

SS Jose Reyes

3B Brett Lawrie

LF Melky Cabrera

RF Jose Bautista

DH Edwin Encarnacion

1B Adam Lind

CF Colby Rasmus

C J.P. Arencibia

2B Maicer Izturis

SP Mark Buehrle

SP Josh Johnson

SP Brandon Morrow

SP Ricky Romero

SP J.A. Happ

CL Casey Janssen/Sergio Santos

Further to my post, I do think the Jays should go after Melky Cabrera and Shaun Marcum.

Cabrera is a great defensive switch hitter who would be perfect for the 2 spot behind Reyes. I don't have that much concern about the steroid issue as I think he can hit .290 with 55 extra base hits and 20 SB. This would give the Jays the ability to keep one or both of Gose and Sierra in AAA for the bulk of the season.

Marcum has shown interest in returning apparently and is a fairly dependable #4 or better.

If they can get both of these guys I'd certainly be more open to trading Romero for a 1B. If the team budget allows for all three players then all the better. Cabrera and Marcum might both be cheaper than expected.

SS Jose Reyes

3B Brett Lawrie

LF Melky Cabrera

RF Jose Bautista

DH Edwin Encarnacion

1B Adam Lind

CF Colby Rasmus

C J.P. Arencibia

2B Maicer Izturis

SP Mark Buehrle

SP Josh Johnson

SP Brandon Morrow