The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Blue Jays megatrade

Gerg

I would assume you mean Laroche through FA.

In a trade I'd love to try and get Morneau. The Twins don't need a catcher with Mauer so I don't know what that would take. However, if the money is there, he'd be a great insert at #4 in the order.

IMHO the Jays aren't quite done although I think the heavy lifting is done. I'd be very surprised if Buck and Arencibia start the season on the same team. D'Arnaud isn't far behind but, with the injury he suffered last year, I don't see him starting the year in the bigs and, personally, I'd rather them not trade Arencibia until they know D'Arnaud will be able to catch on a regular basis. Looks like the guy is going to rake though. Taking that all into account, I hope Buck is the one that gets traded for a bag of baseballs and one of those baseline chalking machines then, once D'Arnaud is ready, he or Arencibia can replace Lind while the other catches. Best case scenario would be D'Arnaud being ready to come up by late May.

I honestly don't think the Jays need another starter. Happ is a more than capable 5th starter. Adding Marcum may be a case of too many chef's in the kitchen. Which is tough for me to say because I think Marcum is a great teammate. I guess they could trade a starter and sign him. I know with Johnson and Morrow in the same rotation there is the concern for injury but there is depth in the system that can provides spot starts, or, worse case scenario, be used to bring a pitcher in mid-season in a trade to replace for a more serious injury.

The bullpen is pretty much complete. Once again, AA may tinker to get a little bit more of a veteran presence in a non-closer role but it's not something he has to do. I have plently of faith in Janssen, Santos, Loup, Lincoln, Delabar, Rogers and hopefully Oliver.

As for the batting line-up. Those are more fluid than hockey lines. Let's see what Spring Training brings and put the better of Lawrie or Cabrera into that 2-hole.

Looks like it'll be an exciting season!

Getting someone like Konerko and some kids to restock the cupboards a bit would be a nice move. Him and EE can split time at 1st and DH and it gives you another legit power bat behind JoeyBats and EE.

Lind Arencibia for Konerko and a prospect or 2.

Even as they stand now tho...

Reyes

Cabrera

Bautista

Encarnacion

Rasmus

Lawrie

Lind

Arencibia

Izturis

Thats a deep and very talented line up. Tho more reliable pop out of the #5 spot would be the area to address. But Lawrie Rasmus and Lind all have more than enough talent to provide that its just a question of consistency.

I know alot of people have Bonifacio at 2nd and in the #2, but he's not nearly good enough in the field to be an everyday player. And doesnt hit for enough avg or have the OB% to play the #2 spot. Him and Rajai Davis will bring alot of flash off the bench late in games tho and can spot start. There is an absurb amount of speed on the roster now too.

Would like to see one more starter added as well, bringing Marcum back would be a nice pick up. Dont think there will be anymore big name additions lol.

Johnson

Romero

Morrow

Buehrle

Marcum

Thats a pretty sick rotation. Keeps the lefties split up so teams dont see them in back to back games.

I know what you mean by a player like Konerko but it won't be Konerno for several reasons. First off, he's a RH batter and the Jays need is a LH batter and secondly he's probably a Chisox for life.

The reason I think Morneau would be a good fit, and I'm not even talking about his nationality, is that he is a solid all around hitter from the left side when healthy with a sizable contract on a small market team. If Minny would be willing to take Lind ++ back for him in a cost cutting move I think it could work both ways. I'd even be happy to move Bonaficio since he isn't a good defensive back-up off of the bench. The Jays really need a guy like that and that might be the type of target, with a prospect or two, in an Arencibia trade.

Having both Romero and Buerlhe in the rotation means that Happ probably doesn't a shot there unless he destroys at camp. I can't remember the last time a team with 3 LHP in the rotation was a WS contender. It's a suddenly strange situation for the Jays to find themselves in.

Ok, I'm going to get all crazy with the cheese whiz here.

Trade 1:

Lind, Bonaficio, Sierra for Morneau and Jamey Caroll - Minny saves some cash and gets some decent younger assets for one high priced star and very old back-up IF.

Trade 2: 3 way deal

To Tor: Halladay

To Phil: Romero, Soriano, prospect from the Cubs

To Cubs: Arencibia, prospects from the Jays

SS - Reyes (SH)

LF - Carbrera (SH)

RF- Bautista (RH)

1B - Morneau (LH)

DH - Encarnacion (RH)

CF - Rasmus (LH)

3B - Lawrie (RH)

C - Buck/D'Arnaud (RH)

2B - Izturis (SH)

Bench: Davis, Cooper, Carroll, Buck/D'Arnaud

Halladay

Johnson

Buerlhe

Morrow

Happ

People are forgetting Bonafacio is a very competent 2B wouldn't be surprised if the starters are:

1B- Edwin Encarnation

2B- Emilio Bonafacio

SS- Jose Reyes

3B- Brett Lawrie

LF- Melky Cabrera

CF- Colby Rasmus

RF- Jose Bautista

DH- Adam Lind

C= JP Arencibia

Bench: Gose, Cooper, Izturis, Davis, Sierra

Then for Pitchers: Johnson, Buehrle, Morrow, Romero, Happ/Hutchinson

Pretty dirty lineup if you ask me!

^^^^Awesome! That looks great.

Ok, after reading a bunch of internet rumours, as unlikely as they are knowing how closely AA holds his cards to his chest, I'm going to change my guess what the Jays may actually do.

1) JP Arencibia to Texas for Alexei Ogando

2) Romero, Lind, cash for Justin Morneau

3) Sign Shawn Marcum to 3 years $15 million

Archived