The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Art

-DLC-

this one was also hanging the wrong way.

it was supposed to be a side by side fridge, so i finished the painting for him, and since the right was unfinished I completed the kitchen with a cat clock and a taxidermied chipmunk holding a cowboy hat riding a taxidermied rattlesnake.

2ugnhio.jpg

this one was also hanging the wrong way.

it was supposed to be a side by side fridge, so i finished the painting for him, and since the right was unfinished I completed the kitchen with a cat clock and a taxidermied chipmunk holding a cowboy hat riding a taxidermied rattlesnake.

2ugnhio.jpg

I'm glad some of you understand.

And I do get that people can admire this stuff for something deeper than what I'm seeing (or not) but i don’t understand entire collections of them. Or how they draw people in and command the $$ they do...personally, I’m bored after the first 15 seconds. Perhaps short sighted and close minded but honest feedback, that's all.

Anyhow, we’ll continue because I think we have something to contribute and are onto something here.

Another from this artist (no disrespect intended, just trying to help here) - I’m calling this one Crime Scene. Possibly OJ’s house, but missing the detail (where’s the glove?). I know, I know - that’s the point....we’re supposed to interpret this as we will and scratch deeper than the surface. The detail is whatever we make it in our minds. But I feel ripped off. Incomplete, I’m giving it $37.95 on the Shopping Network. Please, let's help this artist complete his work, as he obviously didn't have time and had to go pick up the kids from daycare.

1986-43-120.jpg

Close. He's dead, but he killed himself. Artist + suicide = $$$$$$

The dude's name is Rothko, and I won't pretend to like his work in the least bit, but like someone else says, one person's trash is another person's treasure. I'm sure we all like SOME piece of modern art or other. Rothko's school is some 'color field' expressionism, basically the entire thing is just using solid colours to try to tap into something else. i dunno.

I'm a big, big, big, big museum/gallery guy. If I go on vacation, I'm going to hit every single major gallery within city walls. I just love them. And as much as I hate so much modern art, I find modern art museums to be endlessly fascinating because of stuff like this. I don't always like it (rarely do), but I find it much more interesting than some rendition of an italian aristocrat or something.

I don't mind some modern art, LOVE art in general and I even have a bit of modern art in my office (which the company thankfully paid for). I'd have no problem paying a few hundred bucks or less for something I liked/felt complemented my decor. Maybe a bit more for the original but anything more than that is just silly for something I could do a decent rendition of myself or buy a print of.

People paying ludicrous sums for that stuff are in a whole other world though. I don't think us "regular folk" can even understand it. It's where an extreme love of art and conspicuous consumption meet.

Another from this artist (no disrespect intended, just trying to help here) - I’m calling this one Crime Scene. Possibly OJ’s house, but missing the detail (where’s the glove?). I know, I know - that’s the point....we’re supposed to interpret this as we will and scratch deeper than the surface. The detail is whatever we make it in our minds. But I feel ripped off. Incomplete, I’m giving it $37.95 on the Shopping Network. Please, let's help this artist complete his work, as he obviously didn't have time and had to go pick up the kids from daycare.

1986-43-120.jpg

Archived