#211 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

Posted Image

Dark green/grey areas are Iranian Arab areas. I have a friend who is Iranian Arab, but you clearly want to take some semantic point from what I was saying and distort it. I was saying frankly that the Canadian government should consider those in the region who may have immigrated here, be that Iranian or Arab, the bottom line is we have a sizeable population of both which would rather not see their home country decimated.

Well, there are also some Christian Iranians who don't like their country to be destroyed.

Of course there are Arabs in Iran but how does that change anything? Arab nations don't like Iran and Iran doesn't like them.

Posted Image

#212 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:11 PM

Well, there are also some Christian Iranians who don't like their country to be destroyed.

Of course there are Arabs in Iran but how does that change anything? Arab nations don't like Iran and Iran doesn't like them.

You mean how does it change the initial argument you were distorting? I never assumed Iran was all Arab, nor did I make the argument that Iranians are feuding with Arabs, that was your discourse and feel free to continue arguing with yourself.

Once again, I was pointing out that the sizeable representation of Iranians and Arabs within Canada should be considered before warring in the region. For a country which prides itself on multiculturalism and has liberal immigration policy, one has to assume it goes without saying.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#213 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

Dude, there is bias on both sides. You think your side of story is free of any bias? get real.

Which important aspect of my story is lacking, that would lead you to think I'm bias? Please explain.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#214 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

In all honesty this war would be more 'legitimate' in terms of rogue state status and actually having nuclear capability. I could definitely see the US getting involved if these Gaza attacks continue. As far as I'm concerned this is the match of the proverbial powdered keg. Time will tell, I hope I'm wrong.

I don't believe the Americans get involved unless its last resort. They absolutely don't want to get involved 'officially'. The way I see it... Iran and Libya beefed up Hamas with new weapons and Hamas got big heads. After seeing the results including Israel's 'iron dome' and impending invasion Hamas got cold feet. If Hamas actually challenges Israel on a ground invasion I will be shocked. And hope that everything is done to get civilians out of Gaza before its levelled.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

#215 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:35 AM

Wasn't the founding of their state authorized by the UN? If so are there not countless other similar apologies to make? And how simple do you believe to remove the already well established state of Israel and all it's people? Where shall they go? What about the crimes and attacks committed against israel by their neighbours as well? Bombing tourist buses. Assassinating Olympic team. Random rocket fire. I guess it's just accepted to not get any apologies there right?

Since Israel must cede land back to the so called 'natives' after being well established. I would argue it's only fair to follow suit and cede land to all natives around the world. Where will you move out of Australia to? Where will north and South Americans go? Is there even room enough to return to Europe? We can always just all return to the ocean and drown ourselves lol Many people were force off their land. Welcome to planet earth.

I am glad you brought up the united nations Ed ,

UN Resolutions Israel Has Defied

The next time you hear an Israeli complain about Hezbollah or Hamas not following a particular UN Resolution, take a look at Israels corrupt reputation first,

Resolution 106: "...‘condemns’ Israel for Gaza raid"
Resolution 111: "...‘condemns’ Israel for raid on Syria that killed fifty-six people"
Resolution 127: "...‘recommends’ Israel suspend its ‘no-man’s zone’ in Jerusalem"
Resolution 162: "...‘urges’ Israel to comply with UN decisions"
Resolution 171: "...determines flagrant violations’ by Israel in its attack on Syria"
Resolution 228: "...‘censures’ Israel for its attack on Samu in the West Bank, then under Jordanian control"
Resolution 237: "...‘urges’ Israel to allow return of new 1967 Palestinian refugees"
Resolution 248: "...‘condemns’ Israel for its massive attack on Karameh in Jordan"
Resolution 250: "...‘calls’ on Israel to refrain from holding military parade in Jerusalem"
Resolution 251: "...‘deeply deplores’ Israeli military parade in Jerusalem in defiance of Resolution 250"
Resolution 252: "...‘declares invalid’ Israel’s acts to unify Jerusalem as Jewish capital"
Resolution 256: "...‘condemns’ Israeli raids on Jordan as ‘flagrant violation"
Resolution 259: "...‘deplores’ Israel’s refusal to accept UN mission to probe occupation"
Resolution 262: "...‘condemns’ Israel for attack on Beirut airport"
Resolution 265: "...‘condemns’ Israel for air attacks for Salt in Jordan"
Resolution 267: "...‘censures’ Israel for administrative acts to change the status of Jerusalem"
Resolution 270: "...‘condemns’ Israel for air attacks on villages in southern Lebanon"
Resolution 271: "...‘condemns’ Israel’s failure to obey UN resolutions on Jerusalem"
Resolution 279: "...‘demands’ withdrawal of Israeli forces from Lebanon"
Resolution 280: "....‘condemns’ Israeli’s attacks against Lebanon"
Resolution 285: "...‘demands’ immediate Israeli withdrawal form Lebanon"
Resolution 298: "...‘deplores’ Israel’s changing of the status of Jerusalem"
Resolution 313: "...‘demands’ that Israel stop attacks against Lebanon"
Resolution 316: "...‘condemns’ Israel for repeated attacks on Lebanon"
Resolution 317: "...‘deplores’ Israel’s refusal to release Arabs abducted in Lebanon"
Resolution 332: "...‘condemns’ Israel’s repeated attacks against Lebanon"
Resolution 337: "...‘condemns’ Israel for violating Lebanon’s sovereignty"
Resolution 347: "...‘condemns’ Israeli attacks on Lebanon"
Resolution 425: "...‘calls’ on Israel to withdraw its forces from Lebanon"
Resolution 427: "...‘calls’ on Israel to complete its withdrawal from Lebanon’
Resolution 444: "...‘deplores’ Israel’s lack of cooperation with UN peacekeeping forces"
Resolution 446: "...‘determines’ that Israeli settlements are a ‘serious obstruction’ to peace and calls on Israel to abide by the Fourth Geneva Convention"
Resolution 450: "...‘calls’ on Israel to stop attacking Lebanon"
Resolution 452: "...‘calls’ on Israel to cease building settlements in occupied territories"
Resolution 465: "...‘deplores’ Israel’s settlements and asks all member states not to assist Israel’s settlements program"
Resolution 467: "...‘strongly deplores’ Israel’s military intervention in Lebanon"
Resolution 468: "...‘calls’ on Israel to rescind illegal expulsions of two Palestinian mayors and a judge and to facilitate their return"
Resolution 469: "...‘strongly deplores’ Israel’s failure to observe the council’s order not to deport Palestinians"
Resolution 471: "...‘expresses deep concern’ at Israel’s failure to abide by the Fourth Geneva Convention"
Resolution 476: "...‘reiterates’ that Israel’s claims to Jerusalem are ‘null and void’
Resolution 478: "...‘censures (Israel) in the strongest terms’ for its claim to Jerusalem in its ‘Basic Law’
Resolution 484: "...‘declares it imperative’ that Israel re-admit two deported Palestinian mayors"
Resolution 487: "...‘strongly condemns’ Israel for its attack on Iraq’s nuclear facility"
Resolution 497: "...‘decides’ that Israel’s annexation of Syria’s Golan Heights is ‘null and void’ and demands that Israel rescind its decision forthwith"
Resolution 498: "...‘calls’ on Israel to withdraw from Lebanon"
Resolution 501: "...‘calls’ on Israel to stop attacks against Lebanon and withdraw its troops"
Resolution 509: "...‘demands’ that Israel withdraw its forces forthwith and unconditionally from Lebanon"
Resolution 515: "...‘demands’ that Israel lift its siege of Beirut and allow food supplies to be brought in"
Resolution 517: "...‘censures’ Israel for failing to obey UN resolutions and demands that Israel withdraw its forces from Lebanon"
Resolution 518: "...‘demands’ that Israel cooperate fully with UN forces in Lebanon"
Resolution 520: "...‘condemns’ Israel’s attack into West Beirut"
Resolution 573: "...‘condemns’ Israel ‘vigorously’ for bombing Tunisia in attack on PLO headquarters
Resolution 587: "...‘takes note’ of previous calls on Israel to withdraw its forces from Lebanon and urges all parties to withdraw"
Resolution 592: "...‘strongly deplores’ the killing of Palestinian students at Bir Zeit University by Israeli troops"
Resolution 605: "...‘strongly deplores’ Israel’s policies and practices denying the human rights of Palestinians
Resolution 607: "...‘calls’ on Israel not to deport Palestinians and strongly requests it to abide by the Fourth Geneva Convention
Resolution 608: "...‘deeply regrets’ that Israel has defied the United Nations and deported Palestinian civilians"
Resolution 636: "...‘deeply regrets’ Israeli deportation of Palestinian civilians
Resolution 641: "...‘deplores’ Israel’s continuing deportation of Palestinians
Resolution 672: "...‘condemns’ Israel for violence against Palestinians at the Haram al-Sharif/Temple Mount
Resolution 673: "...‘deplores’ Israel’s refusal to cooperate with the United Nations
Resolution 681: "...‘deplores’ Israel’s resumption of the deportation of Palestinians
Resolution 694: "...‘deplores’ Israel’s deportation of Palestinians and calls on it to ensure their safe and immediate return
Resolution 726: "...‘strongly condemns’ Israel’s deportation of Palestinians
Resolution 799: "...‘strongly condemns’ Israel’s deportation of 413 Palestinians and calls for their immediate return.

Percentage of U.N. Commission on Human Rights resolutions condemning Israel for human rights violations: 26

Percentage of U.N. Commission on Human Rights resolutions condemning an Arab country for human rights violations: 0

Number of U.N. Security Council resolutions on the Middle East between 1948 and 1991: 175
Number of these resolutions against Israel: 97
Number of these resolutions against an Arab state: 4
....let me guess...the United Nations is anti-Semitic

Ed i am also glad that you that you brought up australi's treatment of our aborigine's , i have felt a great deal of shame about this .
But you know what we are taking steps to redress some of the wrongs that were committed , and you know what that first step is Ed , that first step is to apologise ,
Prime Minister Kevin Rudd says sorry to Indigenous Australians

Wed, 2008-02-13 22:17 — admin

Sumane Liyanaarachchi , Sydney Australia
Canberra, 13 February, (Asiantribune.com): There were emotional tears, sadness and joys across Australia as thousands of people, including some of those forcibly taken from their families, watched the historic, formal apology delivered by Prime Minister Kevin Rudd at the Australian National Parliament this morning.
In Canberra hundreds of people packed in the National Parliament, as Prime Minister Kevin Rudd formally apologised for the “ laws and policies of successive parliaments and governments that have inflicted profound grief, suffering and loss” on the stolen generation.
Posted ImageMembers of the Stolen Generations listen as Prime Minister Kevin Rudd apologises in federal Parliament. (Wednesday February 13, 12:55 PM)
Many people across Australia wept as Rudd deliver his formal apology speech which was supported by the Australian Federal Opposition. People cheered, applauded, hugged and cried.
Federal Parliament applauded the speech given by opposition Leader Dr Brendan Nelson but the hundreds of people who were gathered in the Great Hall and thousands outside of the Parliament House gave him a hostile reception.

Many in the Great Hall began by booing and jeering, and then turned their backs on the big screens carrying Dr Nelson’s speech. Some walked out in protest during the speech of the Opposition Leader.
Prime Minister Kevin Rudd today promised to halve Aboriginal infant mortality rate by 2018 as part of a new reconciliation plan. As part of this plan, it is expected to close the 17-year life expectancy gap between Aboriginals and other Australians within a generation. He also promised to halve the gap in Aboriginal literacy, mathematic skills and employment opportunities within a decade.

Kevin Rudd announced expanded services to help stolen generation to find their families and a plan to provide housing to remote communities within five years.
“Most old approaches are not working, we need a new beginning.” Prime Minister further added in his speech.
Most of former Prime Ministers, all territory leaders and Aboriginal Leaders participated at this emotional but historic event in the Australian National Parliament

By apologising you are admitting to yourself and others that you have fracked up , and that is the start of the healing process , as many aboriginal elders have stated

That is something the israeli's seem reluctant to do Ed .

There is no history of aboriginal attachment to the land where i live Ed , this has been fully researched.

The Wurundjeri Tribe Land and Compensation Cultural Heritage Council was established in 1985 by descendants of the Wurundjeri people who are the traditional owners of the country around Melbourne. There are three family groups in the council: the Nevins, Terricks and Wandins with 30 elders and about 60 members.[1]
The members of the Council are all descendants of a Woiwurrung / Wurundjeri man named Bebejan, through his daughter Annie Borate (Boorat), and in turn, her son Robert Wandin (Wandoon). Bebejan was a Ngurungaeta of the Wurundjeri people and was present at John Batman’s ‘treaty’ signing in 1835

The Wurundjeri, also known as the Yarra Yarra tribe, was one of the three tribes that shared the Upper Yarra and Healesville areas. As Melbourne's traditional custodians of the land and of local Aboriginal culture, the Wurundjeri roamed throughout an area from Healesville to Lake Eildon, towards Westernport Bay and as far as Wonthaggi. Their Nurrungetta, or king, Bebejern was one of the seven tribal leaders who signed the 1835 Treaty with John Batman, which resulted in the establishment of Melbourne.
Posted Image

Another Wurundjeri notable, William Barak, born in 1923 on the Yarra River Flats, became a comparatively young Tribal Elder and progressive leader of the Wurundjeri. He was held in great respect by Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal alike. When Aboriginal communities were gathered together on stations, he became the communal caretaker of Coranderrk Station, the largest and most important Aboriginal station in Victoria.

Posted Image

Murrundindi is directly descended from these two great Wurundjeri leaders via his mother, Gumbri, who has taught him to esteem and honour his Aboriginal heritage. However, the early years of Murrundindi's life saw him suffer deeply from the racist taunts and comments and he had to work hard to overcome the devastation of this earlier discrimination. In his words: "From these childhood experiences I resolved to work towards creating harmony. The children of today are our future. If I can make them understand that we are all brothers and sisters then hopefully one day no child will have to suffer with or experience racism."

His teachings are simple; respect ourselves and respect each other. He says, "We must learn to live and understand ourselves as well as acknowledge and accept each other's differences. We are all from one race, we just have different coloured skin. We must also respect our Mother Earth who gives us life. If we do not respect her, we will soon not have a home to live in, food to eat, air to breathe or water to drink."

My partner and have these words and a picture of him on our wall.

THESE ARE WORDS THAT THE WHOLE WORLD SHOULD TAKE TO HEART .

Edited by The Ratiocinator, 19 November 2012 - 12:38 AM.

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#216 Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:31 AM

I don't believe the Americans get involved unless its last resort. They absolutely don't want to get involved 'officially'. The way I see it... Iran and Libya beefed up Hamas with new weapons and Hamas got big heads. After seeing the results including Israel's 'iron dome' and impending invasion Hamas got cold feet. If Hamas actually challenges Israel on a ground invasion I will be shocked. And hope that everything is done to get civilians out of Gaza before its levelled.

Given that all the major intelligence agencies in the world are reporting year after year that after 2003 there are no signs suggesting Iran is trying to get nuclear weapons, I don't see a war happening anytime soon.
Posted Image

#217 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:53 AM

The next time you hear an Israeli complain about Hezbollah or Hamas not following a particular UN Resolution, take a look at Israels corrupt reputation first,

[font=Times New Roman]Resolution 106: "...‘condemns’ Israel for Gaza raid"
Resolution 111: "...‘condemns’ Israel for raid on Syria that killed fifty-six people"
Resolution 127: "...‘recommends’ Israel suspend its ‘no-man’s zone’ in Jerusalem"
Resolution 171: "...determines flagrant violations’ by Israel in its attack on Syria"
Resolution 228: "...‘censures’ Israel for its attack on Samu in the West Bank, then under Jordanian control"
Resolution 237: "...‘urges’ Israel to allow return of new 1967 Palestinian refugees"
Resolution 248: "...‘condemns’ Israel for its massive attack on Karameh in Jordan"
Resolution 250: "...‘calls’ on Israel to refrain from holding military parade in Jerusalem"
Resolution 251: "...‘deeply deplores’ Israeli military parade in Jerusalem in defiance of Resolution 250"
Resolution 252: "...‘declares invalid’ Israel’s acts to unify Jerusalem as Jewish capital"
Resolution 259: "...‘deplores’ Israel’s refusal to accept UN mission to probe occupation"
Resolution 267: "...‘censures’ Israel for administrative acts to change the status of Jerusalem"
Resolution 270: "...‘condemns’ Israel for air attacks on villages in southern Lebanon"
Resolution 271: "...‘condemns’ Israel’s failure to obey UN resolutions on Jerusalem"
Resolution 317: "...‘deplores’ Israel’s refusal to release Arabs abducted in Lebanon"
Resolution 444: "...‘deplores’ Israel’s lack of cooperation with UN peacekeeping forces"
Resolution 446: "...‘determines’ that Israeli settlements are a ‘serious obstruction’ to peace and calls on Israel to abide by the Fourth Geneva Convention"
Resolution 452: "...‘calls’ on Israel to cease building settlements in occupied territories"
Resolution 465: "...‘deplores’ Israel’s settlements and asks all member states not to assist Israel’s settlements program"
Resolution 467: "...‘strongly deplores’ Israel’s military intervention in Lebanon"
Resolution 468: "...‘calls’ on Israel to rescind illegal expulsions of two Palestinian mayors and a judge and to facilitate their return"
Resolution 469: "...‘strongly deplores’ Israel’s failure to observe the council’s order not to deport Palestinians"
Resolution 471: "...‘expresses deep concern’ at Israel’s failure to abide by the Fourth Geneva Convention"
Resolution 476: "...‘reiterates’ that Israel’s claims to Jerusalem are ‘null and void’
Resolution 478: "...‘censures (Israel) in the strongest terms’ for its claim to Jerusalem in its ‘Basic Law’
Resolution 484: "...‘declares it imperative’ that Israel re-admit two deported Palestinian mayors"
Resolution 487: "...‘strongly condemns’ Israel for its attack on Iraq’s nuclear facility"
Resolution 497: "...‘decides’ that Israel’s annexation of Syria’s Golan Heights is ‘null and void’ and demands that Israel rescind its decision forthwith"
Resolution 501: "...‘calls’ on Israel to stop attacks against Lebanon and withdraw its troops"
Resolution 509: "...‘demands’ that Israel withdraw its forces forthwith and unconditionally from Lebanon"
Resolution 515: "...‘demands’ that Israel lift its siege of Beirut and allow food supplies to be brought in"
Resolution 517: "...‘censures’ Israel for failing to obey UN resolutions and demands that Israel withdraw its forces from Lebanon"
Resolution 518: "...‘demands’ that Israel cooperate fully with UN forces in Lebanon"
Resolution 573: "...‘condemns’ Israel ‘vigorously’ for bombing Tunisia in attack on PLO headquarters
Resolution 587: "...‘takes note’ of previous calls on Israel to withdraw its forces from Lebanon and urges all parties to withdraw"
Resolution 592: "...‘strongly deplores’ the killing of Palestinian students at Bir Zeit University by Israeli troops"
Resolution 605: "...‘strongly deplores’ Israel’s policies and practices denying the human rights of Palestinians
Resolution 607: "...‘calls’ on Israel not to deport Palestinians and strongly requests it to abide by the Fourth Geneva Convention
Resolution 608: "...‘deeply regrets’ that Israel has defied the United Nations and deported Palestinian civilians"
Resolution 636: "...‘deeply regrets’ Israeli deportation of Palestinian civilians
Resolution 672: "...‘condemns’ Israel for violence against Palestinians at the Haram al-Sharif/Temple Mount
Resolution 673: "...‘deplores’ Israel’s refusal to cooperate with the United Nations
Resolution 681: "...‘deplores’ Israel’s resumption of the deportation of Palestinians
Resolution 694: "...‘deplores’ Israel’s deportation of Palestinians and calls on it to ensure their safe and immediate return
Resolution 799: "...‘strongly condemns’ Israel’s deportation of 413 Palestinians and calls for their immediate return.

Excellent information and I will review this at once. At first glance I notice the list looks to be a few of 'similar violations' where the previous violations were taken into consideration. That list dates all the way back to 1956. Once a thoughtful and clear review is conducted I can present my opinion of those UN violations.

#218 Coda

Coda

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:06 AM

Resolution 106: "...‘condemns’ Israel for Gaza raid"

Percentage of U.N. Commission on Human Rights resolutions condemning Israel for human rights violations: 26

Percentage of U.N. Commission on Human Rights resolutions condemning an Arab country for human rights violations: 0

Number of U.N. Security Council resolutions on the Middle East between 1948 and 1991: 175
Number of these resolutions against Israel: 97
Number of these resolutions against an Arab state: 4
....let me guess...the United Nations is anti-Semitic

Relevant video from last year's Durban conference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Mupoo1At8

#219 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:07 AM

Spoiler

The problems with those UN resolutions are that many decision are made for political/economic reasons. Many of them are just saying, "Hey Israel, we don't agree with your actions", not like they're declaring to dismantle the country or anything. Simple pink slips, nothing more.

We also know that a huge percentage of the UN seats are filled by Muslim nations, 3rd world countries, tin-pot dictators, etc.... most who are not fans of Israel. Heck, most would probably "condemn" the United States too, except they know the US can just veto any motion and that the United States would crush them economically if such a move occurred.

As for the UN Human Rights Council, it's one of the the biggest jokes out there. When some of the representatives are from China, Syria, Sudan, Saudi Arabia are in it and even a guy like Muammar Gaddafi was to be award the UN Human Rights Award (or something like that)... something is very wrong, and it ain't Israel.

#220 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:08 AM

DAAAMN Ratio, that was some good research.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#221 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:30 AM

Excellent information and I will review this at once. At first glance I notice the list looks to be a few of 'similar violations' where the previous violations were taken into consideration. That list dates all the way back to 1956. Once a thoughtful and clear review is conducted I can present my opinion of those UN violations.

Are you an Israeli or a Jew? Am just wondering because you seem to go to great lengths in defending Israel.

Posted Image

#222 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:32 AM

The problems with those UN resolutions are that many decision are made for political/economic reasons. Many of them are just saying, "Hey Israel, we don't agree with your actions", not like they're declaring to dismantle the country or anything. Simple pink slips, nothing more.

We also know that a huge percentage of the UN seats are filled by Muslim nations, 3rd world countries, tin-pot dictators, etc.... most who are not fans of Israel. Heck, most would probably "condemn" the United States too, except they know the US can just veto any motion and that the United States would crush them economically if such a move occurred.

As for the UN Human Rights Council, it's one of the the biggest jokes out there. When some of the representatives are from China, Syria, Sudan, Saudi Arabia are in it and even a guy like Muammar Gaddafi was to be award the UN Human Rights Award (or something like that)... something is very wrong, and it ain't Israel.

Politics plays a massive part in who get a naughty boy sticker from the UN.

One big human rights issue that gets little air time are the biddoon (بدون - arabic for without) stateless people located in various countries in the middle east.

Nary a whisper or should i say whimper from the UN.

Not to mention severely restrictive laws that affect reporting of abuses.

Israel in that respect is much more open and its much more publicized.
Sent from my iPhone Canucks App

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

#223 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:34 AM

Are you an Israeli or a Jew? Am just wondering because you seem to go to great lengths in defending Israel.

Which would be the equivalent of asking if someone is a palestinian or muslim because they defend hamas.
Sent from my iPhone Canucks App

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

#224 Coda

Coda

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:53 AM

Turning for a moment from the recent developments in the middle east, I want to mention an interesting phenomenon I've noticed that I've always found odd.

It seems whenever the Israeli/Palestinian comes up, it is usually "liberal" and "leftist" people (to use two popular terms) who form most of the extreme support for the Palestinians. I'm talking about the hardline group that generally condemns Israeli actions as tyrannical and praises the efforts of extremist Islamic Palestinian groups like Hamas using terms like "resistance" and "freedom fighting".

These are the same people who in debating United States domestic policy would condemn any mention of religion in connection with politics, think the Tea Party was radical, support science and generally think of themselves as "progressive".

I find this a little ironic given how secular and progressive the country of Israeli is and how oppressive and backwards the extreme Islamic factions they support are. In 64 years Israel has done more for science than the Palestinians and all the surrounding countries combined...heck, add all the majority Islamic countries together and Israel has still done more than all of them combined in the fields of science and technology.

Is this some kind of leftover from the cold war years when the Soviet block took the side of the Arab nations in the conflict while the United States & Co. took Israel's side? I'm interested in your thoughts.

Edited by Coda, 19 November 2012 - 02:56 AM.

#225 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:03 AM

Relevant video from last year's Durban conference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Mupoo1At8

I am so glad that i was born , and live in a country that when we frack up , we have the courage to admit it to ourselves and the people that we fracked with that we made a mistake and we are sorry .

No matter what information is presented , you will always try to find a way to discredit it .

The rest of the world is wrong and anti-semite , and israel is the only one that is in the right :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by The Ratiocinator, 19 November 2012 - 03:17 AM.

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#226 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:07 AM

My 86 year old mum who is a white caucaisan , catholic australian , also believes that the jewish people are gods chosen people because so many of them are smart and talented :lol:

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#227 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:15 AM

Turning for a moment from the recent developments in the middle east, I want to mention an interesting phenomenon I've noticed that I've always found odd.

It seems whenever the Israeli/Palestinian comes up, it is usually "liberal" and "leftist" people (to use two popular terms) who form most of the extreme support for the Palestinians. I'm talking about the hardline group that generally condemns Israeli actions as tyrannical and praises the efforts of extremist Islamic Palestinian groups like Hamas using terms like "resistance" and "freedom fighting".

These are the same people who in debating United States domestic policy would condemn any mention of religion in connection with politics, think the Tea Party was radical, support science and generally think of themselves as "progressive".

I find this a little ironic given how secular and progressive the country of Israeli is and how oppressive and backwards the extreme Islamic factions they support are. In 64 years Israel has done more for science than the Palestinians and all the surrounding countries combined...heck, add all the majority Islamic countries together and Israel has still done more than all of them combined in the fields of science and technology.

Is this some kind of leftover from the cold war years when the Soviet block took the side of the Arab nations in the conflict while the United States & Co. took Israel's side? I'm interested in your thoughts.

Jewish ‘modesty patrols’ sow fear in Israel
Some terrified that mere perception of impropriety could ruin their lives

Posted ImageSebastian Scheiner / AP
An ultra-Orthodox man walks past a sign calling on women to dress modestly in a religious neighborhood in Jerusalem.

Posted Image
updated 10/4/2008 9:05:50 PM ET2008-10-05T01:05:50

JERUSALEM — In Israel's ultra-Orthodox Jewish community, where the rule of law sometimes takes a back seat to the rule of God, zealots are on a campaign to stamp out behavior they consider unchaste. They hurl stones at women for such "sins" as wearing a red blouse and attack stores selling devices that can access the Internet.
In recent weeks, self-styled "modesty patrols" have been accused of breaking into the apartment of a Jerusalem woman and beating her for allegedly consorting with men. They have torched a store that sells MP4 players, fearing devout Jews would use them to download pornography.
"These breaches of purity and modesty endanger our community," said 38-year-old Elchanan Blau, defending the bearded, black-robed zealots. "If it takes fire to get them to stop, then so be it."
Many ultra-Orthodox Jews are dismayed by the violence, but the enforcers often enjoy quiet approval from rabbis eager to protect their own reputations as guardians of the faith, community members say. And while some welcome anything that keeps secular culture out of their cloistered world, others feel terrorized, knowing that the mere perception of impropriety could ruin their lives.
"There are eyes and ears all over the place, very similar to what you hear about in countries like Iran," says Israeli-American novelist Naomi Ragen, an observant Jew who has chronicled the troubles that confront some women living in the ultra-Orthodox world.
The violence has already deepened the antagonism between the 600,000 haredim, or God-fearing, and the secular majority, which resents having religious rules dictated to them.
Religious vigilantes operate in a society that has granted their community influence well beyond its numbers — partly out of a commitment to revive the great centers of Jewish scholarship destroyed in the Holocaust, but also because the Orthodox are perennial king-makers in Israeli coalition politics.

Thus public transport is grounded for the Jewish Sabbath each Saturday, and the rabbis control all Jewish marriage and divorce in Israel.
In recent years, however, the haredim have eased up on their long campaign to impose their rules on secular areas, and nowadays many restaurants and suburban shopping centers are open on the Sabbath.
These days, most vigilante attacks take place in the zealots' own neighborhoods.
'They can burn in hell'
Israel police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said the modesty police are not an organized phenomenon, just rogue enforcers carrying out isolated attacks. But Israel's Justice Ministry used the term "modesty patrols" in an indictment against a man accused of assaulting the Jerusalem woman.

• Only on NBCNews.com
The unidentified, 31-year-old woman had left the ultra-Orthodox fold after getting divorced, according to the indictment filed by the Jerusalem district attorney's office. The indictment said her assailant tried to get her to leave her apartment in a haredi neighborhood in Jerusalem by gagging, beating and threatening to kill her. He was paid $2,000 for the attack, it said.
A 17-year-old who moved to Israel from New York five years ago said she was hospitalized after being attacked with pepper spray by a crowd of men outraged that she was walking down a Jerusalem street with boys.
"They can burn in hell," said the girl, who would identify herself only as Rivka.
She lives in Beit Shemesh, a town outside Jerusalem where the vigilantism has been particularly violent. Zealots there have thrown rocks and spat at women, and set fire to trash bins to protest impiety. Walls of the neighborhood are plastered with signs exhorting women to dress modestly — spelled out as closed-necked, long-sleeved blouses and long skirts.
'Stupid troublemakers'
The state, catering to religious sensitivities, subsidizes gender-segregated bus routes that service religious neighborhoods. Ragen and several other women challenged the practice in Israel's Supreme Court after an Orthodox Canadian woman in her 50s told police she was kicked, slapped, pushed to the floor and spat upon by men for refusing to move to the back of the bus.
Another Beit Shemesh girl, who asked to be identified only as Esther, said zealots threw rocks, cursed and spat at a friend for wearing a red blouse — taboo because the color attracts attention.
Yitzhak Polack, a 50-year-old Jerusalem teacher, is one of those who deplore such behavior.
"They are stupid troublemakers who are bringing shame and disgrace on this holy community," he said.

But the rabbis are afraid to condemn them, says Yehuda Meshi-Zahav, another community member.
"They can't come out against zealots who champion modesty. Here and there they write against violence, but the militants ultimately set the tone," he said.
Stores are targeted too.
'This store burns souls'
In August, a Jerusalem man was placed under house arrest on suspicion he set fire to a store in a haredi district of the city that sold MP4 players.
"It started about six months ago. They would come into the store, about 15 of them at a time, screaming, 'This store burns souls!' and they would throw merchandise on the floor and threaten customers," said 31-year-old Aaron Gold, a haredi worker at the Space electronic store.

Secular ?

Progressive ?

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#228 Coda

Coda

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:16 AM

I am so glad that i was born , and live in a country that when we frack up , we have the courage to admit it to ourselves and the people that we fracked with that we made a mistake and we are sorry .

No matter what information is presented , you will always try to find a way to discredit it .

The rest of the world is wrong and anti-semite , and israel is the only one is in the right :lol: :lol: :lol:

When information provided is wrong or misleading, it should be discredited. That's what happens in a debate.

Surely you've heard of the Durban Conference that the video I provided is protesting?

Controversy surrounded the attendance of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad at the conference due to his past statements on Israel and the Holocaust. On the first day of the conference, Ahmadinejad, the only head of state to attend, made a speech condemning Israel as "totally racist"[8] and accusing the West of using the Holocaust as a "pretext" for aggression against Palestinians.[9] The distributed English version of the speech referred to the Holocaust as an "ambiguous and dubious question". When Ahmadinejad began to speak about Israel, all the European Union delegates left the conference room, while a number of the remaining delegates applauded the Iranian President.[10] UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon expressed dismay at both the boycotts and the speech.[11]

Believe it or not, the U.N. is by and large not some warm and cuddly do-good society. When the anti-Israeli faction of the UN is lead by Ahmadinejad forgive me for not taking it without a grain of salt.

#229 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:23 AM

When information provided is wrong or misleading, it should be discredited. That's what happens in a debate.

Surely you've heard of the Durban Conference that the video I provided is protesting?

Believe it or not, the U.N. is by and large not some warm and cuddly do-good society. When the anti-Israeli faction of the UN is lead by Ahmadinejad forgive me for not taking it without a grain of salt.

So what about the incidents the resolutions are referring too , are you going to tell me they never happened ?

As i have said , when i screw up i admit it , you keep on believing that israel is right and EVERYONE ELSE is wrong .

EU 'regrets' Israeli settlement plan

By AFP
Posted Saturday, October 20 2012 at 04:59

In Summary
  • Catherine Ashton "deeply regrets" the Israeli interior ministry decision to back the expansion of the Gilo settlement by 797 units, said a statement from her office
  • Israel's interior ministry granted final approval for the plans on Thursday
  • The move will mean the westward expansion of Gilo, which is on the southern flanks of east Jerusalem, very close to the West Bank town of Bethlehem

SHARE THIS STORY

BRUSSELS

The European Union's foreign policy chief on Thursday criticised Israel's plan to build hundreds of homes in annexed east Jerusalem and called for it to hold fresh talks with the Palestinians.

Catherine Ashton "deeply regrets" the Israeli interior ministry decision to back the expansion of the Gilo settlement by 797 units, said a statement from her office.

"Settlements are illegal under international law and threaten to make a two-state solution impossible," said the statement, which repeated the EU's call for an end to settlements, both in the West Bank and in east Jerusalem.{C}{C}

Talks "continue to represent the best way forward in resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict," it added.{C}{C}

"Continuous expansion of settlements makes this all the more difficult."

Israel's interior ministry granted final approval for the plans on Thursday.

The move will mean the westward expansion of Gilo, which is on the southern flanks of east Jerusalem, very close to the West Bank town of Bethlehem.

"Israel's decision to build 800 housing units is part of an overall Israeli plan which aims to destroy the two-state solution," negotiator Saeb Erakat told AFP on Thursday.

The only answer was for the international community to back Palestinian plans to seek upgraded UN status, he added.

A resolution to that effect is to be put to the UN General Assembly in November.

Israel considers both west and east Jerusalem to be its "eternal, indivisible" capital, and does not view construction in the eastern sector as settlement activity.

The Palestinians, however, believe east Jerusalem should be the capital of their future state and are fiercely opposed to the extension of Israeli control over the sector

So tell me , what conspricay is running the EU

Edited by The Ratiocinator, 19 November 2012 - 03:32 AM.

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#230 Coda

Coda

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:34 AM

Jewish ‘modesty patrols’ sow fear in Israel
Some terrified that mere perception of impropriety could ruin their lives

Posted ImageSebastian Scheiner / AP
An ultra-Orthodox man walks past a sign calling on women to dress modestly in a religious neighborhood in Jerusalem.

Posted Image
updated 10/4/2008 9:05:50 PM ET2008-10-05T01:05:50

JERUSALEM — In Israel's ultra-Orthodox Jewish community, where the rule of law sometimes takes a back seat to the rule of God, zealots are on a campaign to stamp out behavior they consider unchaste. They hurl stones at women for such "sins" as wearing a red blouse and attack stores selling devices that can access the Internet.
In recent weeks, self-styled "modesty patrols" have been accused of breaking into the apartment of a Jerusalem woman and beating her for allegedly consorting with men. They have torched a store that sells MP4 players, fearing devout Jews would use them to download pornography.
"These breaches of purity and modesty endanger our community," said 38-year-old Elchanan Blau, defending the bearded, black-robed zealots. "If it takes fire to get them to stop, then so be it."
Many ultra-Orthodox Jews are dismayed by the violence, but the enforcers often enjoy quiet approval from rabbis eager to protect their own reputations as guardians of the faith, community members say. And while some welcome anything that keeps secular culture out of their cloistered world, others feel terrorized, knowing that the mere perception of impropriety could ruin their lives.
"There are eyes and ears all over the place, very similar to what you hear about in countries like Iran," says Israeli-American novelist Naomi Ragen, an observant Jew who has chronicled the troubles that confront some women living in the ultra-Orthodox world.
The violence has already deepened the antagonism between the 600,000 haredim, or God-fearing, and the secular majority, which resents having religious rules dictated to them.
Religious vigilantes operate in a society that has granted their community influence well beyond its numbers — partly out of a commitment to revive the great centers of Jewish scholarship destroyed in the Holocaust, but also because the Orthodox are perennial king-makers in Israeli coalition politics.

Thus public transport is grounded for the Jewish Sabbath each Saturday, and the rabbis control all Jewish marriage and divorce in Israel.
In recent years, however, the haredim have eased up on their long campaign to impose their rules on secular areas, and nowadays many restaurants and suburban shopping centers are open on the Sabbath.
These days, most vigilante attacks take place in the zealots' own neighborhoods.
'They can burn in hell'
Israel police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said the modesty police are not an organized phenomenon, just rogue enforcers carrying out isolated attacks. But Israel's Justice Ministry used the term "modesty patrols" in an indictment against a man accused of assaulting the Jerusalem woman.

• Only on NBCNews.com
The unidentified, 31-year-old woman had left the ultra-Orthodox fold after getting divorced, according to the indictment filed by the Jerusalem district attorney's office. The indictment said her assailant tried to get her to leave her apartment in a haredi neighborhood in Jerusalem by gagging, beating and threatening to kill her. He was paid $2,000 for the attack, it said.
A 17-year-old who moved to Israel from New York five years ago said she was hospitalized after being attacked with pepper spray by a crowd of men outraged that she was walking down a Jerusalem street with boys.
"They can burn in hell," said the girl, who would identify herself only as Rivka.
She lives in Beit Shemesh, a town outside Jerusalem where the vigilantism has been particularly violent. Zealots there have thrown rocks and spat at women, and set fire to trash bins to protest impiety. Walls of the neighborhood are plastered with signs exhorting women to dress modestly — spelled out as closed-necked, long-sleeved blouses and long skirts.
'Stupid troublemakers'
The state, catering to religious sensitivities, subsidizes gender-segregated bus routes that service religious neighborhoods. Ragen and several other women challenged the practice in Israel's Supreme Court after an Orthodox Canadian woman in her 50s told police she was kicked, slapped, pushed to the floor and spat upon by men for refusing to move to the back of the bus.
Another Beit Shemesh girl, who asked to be identified only as Esther, said zealots threw rocks, cursed and spat at a friend for wearing a red blouse — taboo because the color attracts attention.
Yitzhak Polack, a 50-year-old Jerusalem teacher, is one of those who deplore such behavior.
"They are stupid troublemakers who are bringing shame and disgrace on this holy community," he said.

But the rabbis are afraid to condemn them, says Yehuda Meshi-Zahav, another community member.
"They can't come out against zealots who champion modesty. Here and there they write against violence, but the militants ultimately set the tone," he said.
Stores are targeted too.
'This store burns souls'
In August, a Jerusalem man was placed under house arrest on suspicion he set fire to a store in a haredi district of the city that sold MP4 players.
"It started about six months ago. They would come into the store, about 15 of them at a time, screaming, 'This store burns souls!' and they would throw merchandise on the floor and threaten customers," said 31-year-old Aaron Gold, a haredi worker at the Space electronic store.

Secular ?

Progressive ?

? That's quite a small minority you know. Learn a bit about it:

Differences in the Jewish population

The Jewish population of Israel, can be divided, albeit imperfectly, into three groups: Orthodox, Traditional, and Secular. The largest group is the Secular Jews making up 41.4% of the population, followed by the Traditional Jews accounting for 38.5% of the population, with the remaining 20% populated by the orthodox and ultra-orthodox. In Israel there are rarely distinctions made such as Reform and Conservative Judaism, although this is a popular practice in much of the diaspora.
Secular

Secular Jews in Israel identify as being Jewish because they serve in the Israel Defense Forces (army), they celebrate Jewish holidays (usually not in strict conformity with Jewish Law), and speak Hebrew.[10] This part of the population makes up 41.4% of the Jewish population.[11] Secular Jews are largely supporters of the Israeli Labor Party and a Secular Zionist state.[12] Many secular Israelis identify with being Jewish however the religion is only one aspect of their identity. However, even many secular Jews practice certain aspects of the religion, such as having a Passover Seder or fasting during Yom Kippur. It would not be uncommon to see a secular family to light Shabbat candles, say the blessings over food and wine, have a Shabbat dinner together and then for the parents to get into their car and drive their children to the movies.[2]
Traditional

Masorti/Traditional Jews make up 38.5% of the Jewish population in Israel.[11] This is the second largest group. Many of these "traditional Jews" differ from the Orthodox only because they will drive their cars on the Sabbath, use electricity, watch television, or go to a soccer game or the beach, frequently after attending religious services in the morning and the evening before. Many of the men wrap tefillin every morning, others cover the spectrum of observance. What is critical is that all are committed to a major religious component in the definition of their Jewishness and the Jewishness of the Jewish state.[13] Traditional Jews make up most of the Likud political party.[14]
Orthodox

19.9% of the Jewish population identifies as Orthodox ("dati") or ultra-Orthodox.[11] Most of the Orthodox and some ultra-Orthodox, believe that secular Zionist nationalism and Judaism can successfully work and live together in Israel. Politically they align with National Religious Party, the Morasha Party and by the two state-appointed Chief Rabbis. Orthodox Jews are often seen wearing knitted yarmulkes.[14] The ultra-Orthodox (Charedi) are the smallest part of the population, representing only 8.2% of Jews living in Israel.[11] The Charedim tend to live in their own communities and live according to Jewish law by following moral and dress codes passed down from ancestors. This part of the population is often seen wearing black hats or yarmulkes and some Hasidic sects are related to Hasidic sects in the United States.

#231 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:36 AM

Which would be the equivalent of asking if someone is a palestinian or muslim because they defend hamas.

No, just curious to know.

Posted Image

#232 Coda

Coda

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:39 AM

So what about the incidents the resolutions are referring too , are you going to tell me they never happened ?

As i have said , when i screw up i admit it , you keep on believing that israel is right and EVERYONE ELSE is wrong .

EU 'regrets' Israeli settlement plan

By AFP
Posted Saturday, October 20 2012 at 04:59

In Summary

• Catherine Ashton "deeply regrets" the Israeli interior ministry decision to back the expansion of the Gilo settlement by 797 units, said a statement from her office
  • Israel's interior ministry granted final approval for the plans on Thursday
  • The move will mean the westward expansion of Gilo, which is on the southern flanks of east Jerusalem, very close to the West Bank town of Bethlehem

SHARE THIS STORY

BRUSSELS

The European Union's foreign policy chief on Thursday criticised Israel's plan to build hundreds of homes in annexed east Jerusalem and called for it to hold fresh talks with the Palestinians.

Catherine Ashton "deeply regrets" the Israeli interior ministry decision to back the expansion of the Gilo settlement by 797 units, said a statement from her office.

"Settlements are illegal under international law and threaten to make a two-state solution impossible," said the statement, which repeated the EU's call for an end to settlements, both in the West Bank and in east Jerusalem.{C}{C}

Talks "continue to represent the best way forward in resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict," it added.{C}{C}

"Continuous expansion of settlements makes this all the more difficult."

Israel's interior ministry granted final approval for the plans on Thursday.

The move will mean the westward expansion of Gilo, which is on the southern flanks of east Jerusalem, very close to the West Bank town of Bethlehem.

"Israel's decision to build 800 housing units is part of an overall Israeli plan which aims to destroy the two-state solution," negotiator Saeb Erakat told AFP on Thursday.

The only answer was for the international community to back Palestinian plans to seek upgraded UN status, he added.

A resolution to that effect is to be put to the UN General Assembly in November.

Israel considers both west and east Jerusalem to be its "eternal, indivisible" capital, and does not view construction in the eastern sector as settlement activity.

The Palestinians, however, believe east Jerusalem should be the capital of their future state and are fiercely opposed to the extension of Israeli control over the sector

So tell me , what conspricay is running the EU

Tell me, why the random news story from a month ago regarding Israeli settlements? Apparently I am to believe that this article supports the view that Israel is the most tyrannical country in the world? Get a bit of perspective.

#233 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:48 AM

Tell me, why the random news story from a month ago regarding Israeli settlements? Apparently I am to believe that this article supports the view that Israel is the most tyrannical country in the world? Get a bit of perspective.

I am proving to you that the whole world thinks that the israeli's are wrong in their treatment of the palestinians .

I have all night , and a plethora of articles at my disposal :)

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#234 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:52 AM

? That's quite a small minority you know. Learn a bit about it:

I know A lot about it , and religious police , ARE religious police .

As you said , when the information someone provides is wrong , then it is my duty , and pleasure , to enlighten them ::D

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#235 Coda

Coda

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:58 AM

I am proving to you that the whole world thinks that the israeli's are wrong in their treatment of the palestinians .

I have all night , and a plethora of articles at my disposal :)

I have no doubt that the majority of the world has one-sided support for the Palestinians against Israel. However that argument is Argumentum ad populum which is a fallacy.

There are many reasons why people may hold such a one-sided view: anti-jewish sentiment and lack of education being just two.

As long as we're posting random articles somewhat unrelated to the topic at hand:

Look How Israel Treats Its Arab Minority (Part 4 – When the Pressure is Off)
Back in July, I published a series of blogs “Look how Israel treats the Palestinian Arabs” which can still be viewed here. This latest blog is about Israeli Arabs. In the first three parts I focused on work and medical issues. In this final part we see what happens when Israeli Arabs have time to relax and to speak freely.

Most Israelis enjoy sport. The Freddie Krivine Foundation has been a smash-hit for Arab-Israeli tennis players as it has built over a dozen tennis courts in Arab-Israeli cities like Nazareth. It has subsidized tennis lessons for about 6,000 young Israeli Arabs, including Bedouin Ruan Zubidate, who travels to tennis matches around the world representing Israel. And Israel’s tennis team at June’s Special Olympics in Greece was really special as there were two Israeli Arabs in the four-person team.

In soccer Beram Kayal, an Israeli Arab, regularly praises life for Arabs in Israel. Hethenscored Israel’s winning goal against Latvia in their World cup qualifier. Kayal has 14 caps for the Jewish State. He says ‘What the television shows about Israel is totally different to what happens. The life between the Jews and the Arabs is very good. I'm an Arab and my agent is Jewish but we're like family. The Jews and the Arabs live together in Haifa. The only difference is their religion, but there's no conflict.’ Another Arab player, Ja'ad Sarsur of Kfar Kassem, joined Beitar Ariel’s team, promoted the Samaria city and condemned any boycott.

Moving onto other sports, the 2010-2011 season saw four integrated Jewish-Arab teams participate in the prestigious Israeli National Basketball League. And peace really does have a fighting chance with a project that brings Israeli Arab and Jewish children together to fight for peace - literally. 400 children from 20 clubs learn the Budo martial art and respect for each other.

The music scene also brings together Israeli Arabs and Jews. Voices rose up into the night like a prayer at the Arab-Jewish Community Centre in Jaffa in September. The free concert included Israeli youth ensembles Bat Kol and the Voices of Peace Choir. Meanwhile, the bi-annual Abu Ghosh Music Festival features hundreds of musicians and brings thousands of music lovers from all over Israel to the Israeli-Arab town near Jerusalem.

Even the BBC couldn’t ignore Arab and Jewish Israelis performing together in the Rap group ‘System Ali’. They sing about unity and co-existence in four languages - Hebrew, Arabic, English and Russian. To me, though, it seemed like they were singing in all four languages simultaneously!

Israeli-Arabs already enjoy seven hours a day of Arabic programmes on Israel’s public channels. In May, this was boosted when Israel’s Communications Ministry granted a license to independent Arab broadcaster Hala TV to provide Israeli-Arabs with their own TV station. In July, Israel’s Prime Minister hired his first Arabic-speaking spokesman and unveiled a new Arabic-language website.

So let’s now hear from the Arabs themselves - what do they really want? Well East Jerusalem Arabs definitely prefer Israel to a Palestinian state!Polls of East Jerusalem Arabs, conducted by various organisations (including Palestinian Arab ones) in January, in May and in September came out against PA control of East Jerusalem. Many were prepared to move rather than accept PA citizenship. Large numbers of East Jerusalem Arabs with Permanent Resident status have been lining up to request Israeli citizenship. There has also been a six-fold increase in the number of Arab volunteers performing National Service in Israel over the past five years. Currently 1,473 Arabs are involved, of which 92% are young women.

You get a different perspective about Arab-Israeli relations when you read or listen to people who know what they are talking about. One of Prime Minister Netanyahu’s 26 standing ovations during his speech to Congress was when he stated “Only 0.5% of the 300 million Arabs in the Middle East are truly free – and they are all citizens of Israel”. Then in February a group representing Israeli minorities embarked on a US speaking tour. The group includes Arabs, Druse, Ethiopians and gays. I enjoyed reading David Harris’s article on why he is proud to defend Israel, especially the bit about an orthodox Jewish Israeli driving instructor teaching a devout Muslim woman to drive.
But I will leave the stage to Arabs themselves.

Firstly, please listen to this young Arab Israeli woman who states proudly on IBA news that Israel is NOT an apartheid state.

Next, Salim Mansur of the QMI agency wrote ‘The ease with which I moved — alone and without restrictions — from the inner sanctum of the Muslim sanctuary to Judaism’s holiest site, embracing both, is a testimony to the openness of Israel as a Jewish state and democracy.’ Then the Saudi writer Khalaf Al-Harbi opined that the secret to Israel's success lay in its democratic regime and its respect for the human rights of its citizens. (Translated by The Middle East Media Research Institute.)

But I want to give the final word to Egyptian journalist and political analyst Nabil Sharaf Eldin who urged fellow Arabs to visit Israel. “Failing to find a glimpse of hope across the greater Arab world, we must concede that Israel has become the only "safe haven" where one can be sure of his life and dignity.”

So there you have it.

http://blogs.jpost.c...

#236 Coda

Coda

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:05 AM

I know A lot about it , and religious police , ARE religious police .

As you said , when the information someone provides is wrong , then it is my duty , and pleasure , to enlighten them ::D

Evidently you didn't read the article very closely, as these were incidents involving vigilante ultra-orthodox jews. You seem to want to portray their actions as typical to Israelis...it would about as stupid as portraying crip/blood attacks in Los Angeles as being indicative of the character of the people and government of LA.

On the other hand Hamas is the elected government of the Palestinians of Gaza. Do you need me to educate you on their political and social stances?

#237 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:07 AM

I have no doubt that the majority of the world has one-sided support for the Palestinians against Israel. However that argument is Argumentum ad populum which is a fallacy.

There are many reasons why people may hold such a one-sided view: anti-jewish sentiment and lack of education being just two.

As long as we're posting random articles somewhat unrelated to the topic at hand:

http://blogs.jpost.c..."-when-pressure

You know Coda , you are a paradigm of why this circle of hatred will never end , you like the israeli's think they have done nothing wrong , and will do nothing to address the root issue's of this conflict .

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#238 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:10 AM

Evidently you didn't read the article very closely, as these were incidents involving vigilante ultra-orthodox jews. You seem to want to portray their actions as typical to Israelis...it would about as stupid as portraying crip/blood attacks in Los Angeles as being indicative of the character of the people and government of LA.

On the other hand Hamas is the elected government of the Palestinians of Gaza. Do you need me to educate you on their political and social stances?

Coda , i do not call a place that has religious police walking the streets , secular or progressive , no matter how many "police" there are .

And the day you can teach me , is the day pigs fly :lol:

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#239 Coda

Coda

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:19 AM

You know Coda , you are a paradigm of why this circle of hatred will never end , you like the israeli's think they have done nothing wrong , and will do nothing to address the root issue's of this conflict .

I've never said that the Israelis have done nothing wrong.

I would guess you don't understand the situation very well, especially if you think that the problem can be solved by the Israelis. Tell me, what would you have the Israelis do to solve the conflict?

#240 Coda

Coda

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:30 AM

Coda , i do not call a place that has religious police walking the streets , secular or progressive , no matter how many "police" there are .

And the day you can teach me , is the day pigs fly :lol:

You are just trying to argue for arguments sake here. Ultra-orthodox Jews make up 8% of the Jewish population. The vast majority of these do not engage in vigilante modesty policing.

You on the other hand are supporting a faction (Hamas) that as a government of Gaza supports similar measures:

Hamas’ Record on Women, a Mixed Bag

By Hanitizer ⋅ September 21, 2010 ⋅ Post a comment
Posted Image
When it comes to women rights, Hamas in Gaza continues to pass and enforce laws and regulations that are baffling to say the least. I have been watching their actions on women related matters, and most of the time I am surprised by how much time to dedicate to make life for women a bit more difficult. But then, when I went to Gaza and saw how things are, I started to see Hamas’s record as a mixed bag. While the majority of Hamas figures see home and family are the only place for women. Many Hamas supporters also engage in polygamy (but her husband is a Shaheed). Granted, there are things I see as a downside, some might seem them as an upside. For example, in their rallies, Hamas likes to enlist the help of women by promising them to get food stamps for showing up to their rallies. Here is a list of observations on Hamas’ record on women as the Hamas government continues to make waves.
The Downside:

• Last year, high school girls were obliged to stick to a new school uniform ,all black long sleeve, covered from head to toe (Jilbab). Needless to say many protested the law, but Hamas denied to have orchestrated it.
  • All female college students have to wear a head cover, even the few Christian female students still have to cover their hair. This came to my attention as college graduation season, number of students were denied entry to the graduation becasue they did not have a head cover (not a cap).
  • All Female attorneys have to wear Jilbab, and head cover while presenting a case to any court in Gaza. Men attorneys have their own code, but not sure why Hamas needed the law in the first place.
  • No female mingling with males at restaurants, cafes, campuses or any public place. On September 19, 2010 The Beach House Cafe and Restaurant, a popualr hang out place in Gaza was ordered to close for three days because of violation of parties and gender mixing gathering.
  • While in public, the Gaza women can forget about smoking hookah, September 2nd, this year Sama coffee shop was closed for three days because of women smoking hookah, an act Hamas banned earlier this past summer.
  • Late last year, Hamas banned women from riding on motorcycles, one of Gaza’s most affordable ways to get around the narrow and crowded streets. They said women on bikes are a distraction…did they not see the movie Top Gun?
  • In their effort to protect their important leaders/figures, Hamas security personnel invade the privacy of the homes of people living next door to those figures. I am aware of a number of incidents where the neighbors files complaints against those over-zealous guards.
  • Gaza is full of self-appointed vice and virtue volunteer who walk around and tell people to do the right thing. Last summer I saw a bearded Gaza cabdriver give a young women a tape about dressing more conservatively.
The Upside
  • Many women in Gaza now say they feel much safer in Gaza as very few males dare to harass them as they walk down the streets. In case one dares to, Hamas will send them somewhere where the sun never shines.
  • Markets and souks are now better organized to allow for more space as male predators who are hoping to get too close to women are now unable to come anywhere near female shoppers.
  • All government offices now has designated windows where women can get and file paperwork without having to push against men as they wait in line. I know this is great perk becasue when the guys line has 50 people, the females ones has only five.
  • Unlike many former security officers, the Hamas officers do not stalk/harass women of Gaza.
  • The beaches in Gaza are much friendlier to women as men now have to also cover up and avoid parading around in European trunks. Knew length shorts and an under shirt!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.