The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) What could Calgary get for Jarome Iginla?

Pears

Depends which teams want him. I could see Washington, Nashville, Pittsburgh, and St.Louis as teams that might have some interest, although this is just my speculation. Here's some ideas for each, there might be issues since I just came up with it quickly, but these could be a bases to a deal.

To Pit: Jarome Iginla

To Cgy: Simon Despres, 1st

If Iginla makes it to free agency, I definitely wouldn't mind making a serious offer for a huge cup run next year. I doubt there will be a season at all, so no deadline deals here, but I wouldn't mind offering a high salary, short-term deal to give the Canucks (and Iginla) a shot at the Cup.

Just ditch Booth and Ballard somehow for cap space, re-sign Higgins.

Sedin - Sedin - Iginla

Burrows - Kesler - Jensen/Kassian

Higgins - _____ - Hansen

_____ - Lapierre - Weise

If Iginla makes it to free agency, I definitely wouldn't mind making a serious offer for a huge cup run next year. I doubt there will be a season at all, so no deadline deals here, but I wouldn't mind offering a high salary, short-term deal to give the Canucks (and Iginla) a shot at the Cup.

Just ditch Booth and Ballard somehow for cap space, re-sign Higgins.

Sedin - Sedin - Iginla

Burrows - Kesler - Jensen/Kassian

Higgins - _____ - Hansen

_____ - Lapierre - Weise

The only way Iginla gets traded is if he requests for it.

His value if traded at the beginning of the season would be determined by the new CBA. If the CBA has the proposed changes like a team being able to retain half of a players cap hit and or salary, Iginla would have more value but Calgary also isn't in a favorable cap position. They are right up there with the Canucks in terms of being close to the salary cap. In all likelihood, teams close to the cap now are going to have to make trades to get under the cap.

Because Iginla's ratio of cap hit to impact aren't that great, he has low trade value since the Flames can't really retain any of his hit and most teams that would be interested in Iginla are close to the cap. Since the return wouldn't be great for Iginla, there is no way Calgary trades him.

The only way Iginla gets traded is if he requests for it.

His value if traded at the beginning of the season would be determined by the new CBA. If the CBA has the proposed changes like a team being able to retain half of a players cap hit and or salary, Iginla would have more value but Calgary also isn't in a favorable cap position. They are right up there with the Canucks in terms of being close to the salary cap. In all likelihood, teams close to the cap now are going to have to make trades to get under the cap.

Because Iginla's ratio of cap hit to impact aren't that great, he has low trade value since the Flames can't really retain any of his hit and most teams that would be interested in Iginla are close to the cap. Since the return wouldn't be great for Iginla, there is no way Calgary trades him.

I shouldn't expect some wide eyed Canuck kid to know anything about NHL players not on the Canucks.

Here's a quick overview for ya. Iginla is on the decline. Yes has had several seasons of 30 or more goals but he doesn't push the play. When Iginla is on the ice for the Flames, the Flames generally get shot on more than they produce shots. Iginla is also a liability defensively and if you watch him closely, is pretty much a cherry picker.

Iginla isn't the player who scored 50 goals anymore. He's an aging veteran who lost a couple steps but still fancies himself as a goal scorer and not much else. Iginla is not good bang for buck value cap hit wise.

No. Iginla's on the decline in age, but absolutely not in points. Here's his last 10 season's:

2001-02: 52 goals, 44 assists, 96 points

2002-03: 35 goals, 32 assists, 67 points

2003-04: 41 goals, 32 assists, 73 points

2005-06: 35 goals, 32 assists, 67 points

2006-07: 39 goals, 55 assists, 94 points

2007-08: 50 goals, 48 assists, 98 points

2008-09: 35 goals, 54 assists, 89 points

2009-10: 32 goals, 37 assists, 69 points,

2010-11: 43 goals, 43 assists, 86 points

2011-12: 32 goals, 35 assists, 67 points

So again, what part of Iginla is on the decline? He's one of the best captain's and power forward's in the league. Again he is absolutely worth 7 million a season, not sure why you think he isn't.

Archived