The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) What could Calgary get for Jarome Iginla?

Pears

Depends which teams want him. I could see Washington, Nashville, Pittsburgh, and St.Louis as teams that might have some interest, although this is just my speculation. Here's some ideas for each, there might be issues since I just came up with it quickly, but these could be a bases to a deal.

To Pit: Jarome Iginla

To Cgy: Simon Despres, 1st

To Stl: Patrik Berglund, Brett Sonne

To Cgy: Jarome Iginla

To Wsh: Jarome Iginla

To Cgy: Dimitri Orlov, 2nd

To Nsh: Jarome Iginla

To Cgy: Colin Wilson or Craig Smith, 3rd

Calgary shouldn't even consider moving him, I mean he is to the Flames what Linden was/is to the Canucks, a terrific guy on and off the ice who you just can't replace. No matter what the offer was, I don't see Iginla moving, he is probably the only reason the team hasn't been last in the league but instead being in the middle (close to the playoffs a few times as well) in the last few years.

I think a reasonable comparison could be drawn between Jarome and Keith Tkachuk when he was about to enter UFA status as well (though Iggy should get a bit more still). When the Blues traded Tkachuk to the Thrashers he was also 35 and scored at 0.73 p.p.g. (Jarome was at 0.82 last season), but he's not as much of an offensive catalyst for the Blues as Jarome is for the Flames (he's been and will be their go-to guy for offense probably until he retires or gets traded, whichever one comes first) and his streak of eleven NHL seasons without less than thirty goals is pretty impressive and it shows just how lethal and important he is to the team's success.

I think if he was dealt at the deadline the return would be a bit more than a roster player, 1st round pick and a couple more picks/ decent prospects (Keith got Metropolit, 1st and 3rd then a 2nd the year after); I wouldn't be surprised though if someone like Philly really paid through their teeth and gave him a return similar to what was paid for Rick Nash (sure Rick's younger, but Jarome's better, even at age 35, and when the Flames GM finally realizes he has to rebuild he'd want to have the team off to a running start so I'd say one or even two roster players, a prospect and a first wouldn't be out of the question if he really got his way)

I'm not sure there's ever been an easier example of what a 35 year old pending UFA could fetch in a trade than Iginla. Considering he got to the Flames via a trade with Dallas for Joe Nieuwendyk (Corey Millen was included with Iginla coming back to the Flames) you could reasonable assume a similar return for Iginla now. Both were pending UFAs who had been quite successfull to that point, so the only significant difference is that Nieuwendyk (29) was younger at the time of the trade, so Iginla as a 35 year old should not be able to garner a future star of Iginila's calibre.

Archived