Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Political Science/Economics Degree

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#1 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,794 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:18 AM

I know a lot of these questions pop up on these boards but I'm just trying to get a rough idea of where my potential degree can lead me to in terms of a job.

I'm hoping to double major in the two fields, but other than trying to become a civil servant, I can't figure out any other possible careers. Perhaps the political science/economic degree holders out there on the board can give me an idea? I'm in the co-op program, so I'll have some opportunities to go and find some jobs later in the summer, but I want to get some responses from absolute strangers who are already out working.

Perhaps I'll end up with a job completely unrelated to my degree? Or, seeing as how undergraduate degrees are being handed out left and right these days, maybe graduate school would have to be a possible option.

Oh, and law school is pretty much out of the question for me due to my lack of interest in it :)

and finally, please don't derail the thread with typical and unhelpful comments like "arts degrees are useless."

Thanks once again guys.

#2 Connauton

Connauton

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:45 AM

Did you see those drumming guys on campus friday?

#3 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,239 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:52 AM

I know a lot of these questions pop up on these boards but I'm just trying to get a rough idea of where my potential degree can lead me to in terms of a job.

I'm hoping to double major in the two fields, but other than trying to become a civil servant, I can't figure out any other possible careers. Perhaps the political science/economic degree holders out there on the board can give me an idea? I'm in the co-op program, so I'll have some opportunities to go and find some jobs later in the summer, but I want to get some responses from absolute strangers who are already out working.

Perhaps I'll end up with a job completely unrelated to my degree? Or, seeing as how undergraduate degrees are being handed out left and right these days, maybe graduate school would have to be a possible option.

Oh, and law school is pretty much out of the question for me due to my lack of interest in it :)

and finally, please don't derail the thread with typical and unhelpful comments like "arts degrees are useless."

Thanks once again guys.

You're doing poli sci. You're going to law school.

#4 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,794 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:05 AM

You're doing poli sci. You're going to law school.

Yeah, uhhh probably won't even get in even if I wanted to.

#5 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,328 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:28 AM

Everyone says "study what interests you" Thats wrong. Find the job that interest you ( not something unreasonable like rock star or sports agent) and follow the course of study that will get you there.

That way your not standing there after 4 years of hard work and student loans wondering what to do.

Theres a great line in the book Closing Time by Joseph Heller about law school: "The more I learn about being a lawyer the more sure I am that it should be illegal"

Posted Image

#6 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,000 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:33 AM

Political Science ... ZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZ

Took that first semester in first year ... Fully regret every minute I spent in that class ...

Economics was pretty interesting ... but then I really enjoy math, so ...

Can't really help you since I didn't major in either.

Edited by n00bxQb, 15 November 2012 - 03:35 AM.

#7 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,769 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

Poly Sci is too focused and narrow as far as jobs are concerned. I'd pick something slightly more broadened (after four major changes long ago I finally went with and completed my Business Administration and Economics degree) so you don't find yourself back in college. Even if it's in a general field like communications, or English, that will still give you a foot up on the job -- minus technical jobs that require specific knowledge like engineering, most places of employment (especially decent companies to work for like Google) like seeing degrees due to the fact that most jobs can be trained for as far as knowledge is concerned, the degree is an intangible element of a drive to finish what you start which obviously is something you either possess or don't.

Edited by zaibatsu, 15 November 2012 - 11:03 AM.

jDWeuKR.png

#8 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,939 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

All a poli sci degree is good for is turning you into a pretentious asshole with a loud opinion on everything but who has no idea how the world actually works.

Edited by Columbo, 15 November 2012 - 01:47 PM.

#9 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

All a poli sci degree is good for is turning you into a pretentious asshole with a loud opinion on everything but who has no idea how the world actually works.

Actually not... it teaches critical thinking and hones research and writing skills to be able to effectively argue a position and provide support for the position.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#10 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,939 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

Actually not... it teaches critical thinking and hones research and writing skills to be able to effectively argue a position and provide support for the position.

Yeah yeah, I can say that about virtually every single university degree. It's the cop-out "here's why your degree wasn't a waste of time and money" answer.

#11 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

Honestly a poli sci and econ degree can only be applied to a job in the government. An econ degree by itself with either a minor or double major in another field would broaden your potential opportunities while still allowing you to work for the gov if nothing else

Bring Back the Totems!

#12 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,939 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

Honestly a poli sci and econ degree can only be applied to a job in the government. An econ degree by itself with either a minor or double major in another field would broaden your potential opportunities while still allowing you to work for the gov if nothing else

I think you can do more with an econ degree than work for the government... like work for as a sales analyst, insurance agent, in a bank, as an investment analyst, in the budget office or financial servies for any company, etc etc.

#13 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

I think you can do more with an econ degree than work for the government... like work for as a sales analyst, insurance agent, in a bank, as an investment analyst, in the budget office or financial servies for any company, etc etc.

that's what I said, an econ degree would broaden opportunities while still allowing for a gov job if that happens

Bring Back the Totems!

#14 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,536 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

Posted ImageColumbo, on 15 November 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

Actually not... it teaches critical thinking and hones research and writing skills to be able to effectively argue a position and provide support for the position

I am having trouble figuring out if that was a counter point or just an example of what was said.

#15 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

Econ takes a crap-load of math and calculus. A lot of opportuntiies with the degree though. You can also use it for a lot of post-grad stuff, like accounting, law, etc (well you can use any degree for law).

With a poly-sci degree, you are probably going to defeinitely need a post-grad degree of some kind. There are a fair number of streams in areas like civil planning, etc... that will set you up for a career in government. I'd spend some time thinking about what you actually want to do but at the same time don't limit yourself to one career path.

#16 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

Yeah yeah, I can say that about virtually every single university degree. It's the cop-out "here's why your degree wasn't a waste of time and money" answer.

No you cannot.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#17 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,939 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

No you cannot.

Sure I can. I meant it was a cop-out last resort by the way. Like for example, I can say that an Engineering degree teaches you math and physics and gets you a good job as an engineer. But in absence of something better, you always hear the answer you gave above. You may not agree with the assessment (for example I don't agree with yours) but you sure can say it! Otherwise people who do useless degrees might get very sad.

#18 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,794 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

So what, political science is just going to be four useless years? It sucks how a field I'm really interested in will get me practically nowhere outside the government (according to you guys). Anyone here actually have a poli sci degree?

Haha, and yeah I was worried about becoming a "pretentious asshole" when I began taking these course, but as of now, I'm not that bad yet!

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan, 15 November 2012 - 09:38 PM.

#19 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

So what, political science is just going to be four useless years? It sucks how a field I'm really interested in will get me practically nowhere outside the government (according to you guys). Anyone here actually have a poli sci degree?

Haha, and yeah I was worried about becoming a "pretentious asshole" when I began taking these course, but as of now, I'm not that bad yet!

Yes, I do - a double major in Poli Sci and History.

#20 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

Sure I can. I meant it was a cop-out last resort by the way. Like for example, I can say that an Engineering degree teaches you math and physics and gets you a good job as an engineer. But in absence of something better, you always hear the answer you gave above. You may not agree with the assessment (for example I don't agree with yours) but you sure can say it! Otherwise people who do useless degrees might get very sad.

It is sad that you consider a university degree to be useless. And what is your degree?

#21 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

My body is ready.

• Members
  • 6,442 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:59 PM

While I don't think a Poli-Sci major will actually be the thing that could land you a job, if you double major in it plus Econ, it would certainly make you a more appealing candidate for jobs related to Economics.
At the very least, Poli-Sci does teach good critical thinking skills.

From what I remember about my Poli-Sci course, the pretentious assholes made their presence very apperant during the first class. If you've made it this far you should be safe.
Posted Image

#22 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,536 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

It is sad that you consider a university degree to be useless. And what is your degree?

What's worse he considers "engineer" to be a "good job". I liken it more to a disease that should only really be suggested as pennance to control freak math geeks.

Grade= (elevation one - elevation two)/distance

Now go perform that calution one million times! Bwa ha ha! Master the parking lot you are!

#23 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,769 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

Oh there are quite a number of useless ones, particularly the kind that both cost taxpayers and are hardly, if at all, useful for job related skills. Most degrees, in fact, that don't require extensively broad knowledge (and of course are paid for by my taxes), should be slimmed down only to specific courses directly related to the target major, rather than the waste that encompasses far too much of undergrad years.

One thing to understand is being interested in something doesn't inherently make it suitable for a career, whether it be due to the leisure vs. work (or "burnout") factor, or whether the market has a need for those jobs.

That's why my piece of advice was find something more broad if you don't like the narrow amount of options that degree will give you. The advantage of going the route I did, for example, was that it didn't limit me to specific industries.

To use the Google example again I knew some guys in frontpage (the people in a very few departments who were given desks with two or three very large rotating widescreen monitors) that had English or Sociology degrees, not programming, not engineering, not comp sci. And the reason these people were hired there is the same reason they are hired elsewhere, because most job related functions can easily be taught or trained on or learned on one's own.. the reason that piece of paper is valuable in most circumstances is because of the intangible element of finishing what you start.

jDWeuKR.png

#24 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 28,546 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

Thanks once again guys.

Maybe take something that might contribute to the world like medicine or engineering or science?
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#25 bjh

bjh

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

Agree with this.

Virtually all University degrees teach "critical thinking". The ability to argue a point and write effectively come no matter what sort of argument you're taught to make in University.

I might not agree that Political Science degree is useless, but I definitely think that the above points are true.

Edited by bjh, 16 November 2012 - 06:41 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#26 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,939 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

We're living in the real world here. You may have a job and that's all well and good, but tell the hundreds of thousands of people in their 30s+ working in retail and food service, and still with thousands in student loan debt, that their English / Poli Sci / Art History / etc, degrees were totally worth it because they learned good writing skills which they haven't even used in 10+ years.

My degree is in genetics. I graduated with about 500 other people with the exact same degree, probably 100 of us have relavant jobs now, I'm one of the lucky ones. Unless you plan to go on to further education or Med school, this degree is also borderline useless, especially since in a few years I'll have forgotten everything I know.

The linear highschool -> university -> life career path is just not all it's cracked up to be for a large chunk of society, and it's a shame that it's pushed on basically all young teens as the "norm" they should strive for. Probably by people with mindsets like yours.

#27 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,939 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

What's worse he considers "engineer" to be a "good job". I liken it more to a disease that should only really be suggested as pennance to control freak math geeks.

Grade= (elevation one - elevation two)/distance

Now go perform that calution one million times! Bwa ha ha! Master the parking lot you are!

Yup you basically nailed it. Pre-built parking lots just fall out of the sky and it's the engineer's job to make sure that the ramps all comply with the building code. (I take it you don't know too many engineers?)

#28 Tru_Knyte

Tru_Knyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,355 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

We're living in the real world here. You may have a job and that's all well and good, but tell the hundreds of thousands of people in their 30s+ working in retail and food service, and still with thousands in student loan debt, that their English / Poli Sci / Art History / etc, degrees were totally worth it because they learned good writing skills which they haven't even used in 10+ years.

My degree is in genetics. I graduated with about 500 other people with the exact same degree, probably 100 of us have relavant jobs now, I'm one of the lucky ones. Unless you plan to go on to further education or Med school, this degree is also borderline useless, especially since in a few years I'll have forgotten everything I know.

The linear highschool -> university -> life career path is just not all it's cracked up to be for a large chunk of society, and it's a shame that it's pushed on basically all young teens as the "norm" they should strive for. Probably by people with mindsets like yours.

I'd say blame yourself rather than your degree if you can't get a job. If you can't convince an employer that you've developed the skills necessary to be successful in the position then you don't deserve to be hired. The only exception would be for technical jobs (e.g. engineers, doctors, etc.) that require specific content knowledge prior to employment.
Posted Image

#29 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,239 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

Yes, I do - a double major in Poli Sci and History.

I stand by my original statement. Poli sci --> law school. :)

#30 hellohello

hellohello

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

edit

Edited by hellohello, 16 November 2012 - 01:34 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.