The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Political Science/Economics Degree

KoreanHockeyFan

I know a lot of these questions pop up on these boards but I'm just trying to get a rough idea of where my potential degree can lead me to in terms of a job.

I'm hoping to double major in the two fields, but other than trying to become a civil servant, I can't figure out any other possible careers. Perhaps the political science/economic degree holders out there on the board can give me an idea? I'm in the co-op program, so I'll have some opportunities to go and find some jobs later in the summer, but I want to get some responses from absolute strangers who are already out working.

Perhaps I'll end up with a job completely unrelated to my degree? Or, seeing as how undergraduate degrees are being handed out left and right these days, maybe graduate school would have to be a possible option.

Oh, and law school is pretty much out of the question for me due to my lack of interest in it :)

and finally, please don't derail the thread with typical and unhelpful comments like "arts degrees are useless."

Thanks once again guys.

I know a lot of these questions pop up on these boards but I'm just trying to get a rough idea of where my potential degree can lead me to in terms of a job.

I'm hoping to double major in the two fields, but other than trying to become a civil servant, I can't figure out any other possible careers. Perhaps the political science/economic degree holders out there on the board can give me an idea? I'm in the co-op program, so I'll have some opportunities to go and find some jobs later in the summer, but I want to get some responses from absolute strangers who are already out working.

Perhaps I'll end up with a job completely unrelated to my degree? Or, seeing as how undergraduate degrees are being handed out left and right these days, maybe graduate school would have to be a possible option.

Oh, and law school is pretty much out of the question for me due to my lack of interest in it :)

and finally, please don't derail the thread with typical and unhelpful comments like "arts degrees are useless."

Thanks once again guys.

Everyone says "study what interests you" Thats wrong. Find the job that interest you ( not something unreasonable like rock star or sports agent) and follow the course of study that will get you there.

That way your not standing there after 4 years of hard work and student loans wondering what to do.

Theres a great line in the book Closing Time by Joseph Heller about law school: "The more I learn about being a lawyer the more sure I am that it should be illegal"

Political Science ... ZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZ

Took that first semester in first year ... Fully regret every minute I spent in that class ...

Economics was pretty interesting ... but then I really enjoy math, so ...

Can't really help you since I didn't major in either.

Poly Sci is too focused and narrow as far as jobs are concerned. I'd pick something slightly more broadened (after four major changes long ago I finally went with and completed my Business Administration and Economics degree) so you don't find yourself back in college. Even if it's in a general field like communications, or English, that will still give you a foot up on the job -- minus technical jobs that require specific knowledge like engineering, most places of employment (especially decent companies to work for like Google) like seeing degrees due to the fact that most jobs can be trained for as far as knowledge is concerned, the degree is an intangible element of a drive to finish what you start which obviously is something you either possess or don't.

Honestly a poli sci and econ degree can only be applied to a job in the government. An econ degree by itself with either a minor or double major in another field would broaden your potential opportunities while still allowing you to work for the gov if nothing else

Honestly a poli sci and econ degree can only be applied to a job in the government. An econ degree by itself with either a minor or double major in another field would broaden your potential opportunities while still allowing you to work for the gov if nothing else

Econ takes a crap-load of math and calculus. A lot of opportuntiies with the degree though. You can also use it for a lot of post-grad stuff, like accounting, law, etc (well you can use any degree for law).

With a poly-sci degree, you are probably going to defeinitely need a post-grad degree of some kind. There are a fair number of streams in areas like civil planning, etc... that will set you up for a career in government. I'd spend some time thinking about what you actually want to do but at the same time don't limit yourself to one career path.

So what, political science is just going to be four useless years? It sucks how a field I'm really interested in will get me practically nowhere outside the government (according to you guys). Anyone here actually have a poli sci degree?

Haha, and yeah I was worried about becoming a "pretentious asshole" when I began taking these course, but as of now, I'm not that bad yet!

So what, political science is just going to be four useless years? It sucks how a field I'm really interested in will get me practically nowhere outside the government (according to you guys). Anyone here actually have a poli sci degree?

Haha, and yeah I was worried about becoming a "pretentious asshole" when I began taking these course, but as of now, I'm not that bad yet!

Sure I can. I meant it was a cop-out last resort by the way. Like for example, I can say that an Engineering degree teaches you math and physics and gets you a good job as an engineer. But in absence of something better, you always hear the answer you gave above. You may not agree with the assessment (for example I don't agree with yours) but you sure can say it! Otherwise people who do useless degrees might get very sad.

Archived