33 replies to this topic

#1 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

Obvious answer is he thinks the lockout will end soon. But if the lockout is still going on after November who else really wants to see Schneider sign in a different league and be the number 1 on that team? I'd be really excited to see what numbers Schneider can put up as a starter.
Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

#2 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,102 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

POPULAR

He's a union rep. I'm sure he doesn't want to take himself away from the negotiations.
Posted Image

#3 CanuckinEdm

CanuckinEdm

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

He says that the bigger surfaces ruin your angles.

#4 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

It's different for a goalie that has the starting job already in the NHL. He has nothing to prove. Why take the risk of getting injured. Furthermore, european hockey has larger rinks which could throw off his nhl game.
Posted Image

#5 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,102 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

He's right, to a point. I'm no pro goalie, but I have played in international rinks, NHL rinks, random local rinks, and 3 on 3 rinks. They all have different angles. It can be weird for the first few shots, but you settle into it.

Once upon a time, there was no standard for NHL rinks. Many of them were different sizes.
Posted Image

#6 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

POPULAR

It's different for a goalie that has the starting job already in the NHL. He has nothing to prove. Why take the risk of getting injured. Furthermore, european hockey has larger rinks which could throw off his nhl game.

Schneider has a lot to prove.

#7 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,786 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

Schneider has a lot to prove.

He's got to stay focused on the Canucks though. No point putting his focus elsewhere until he gets his shot. Unless this thing keeps dragging on and he's worried about forgetting how to play.

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#8 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

He's got to stay focused on the Canucks though. No point putting his focus elsewhere until he gets his shot. Unless this thing keeps dragging on and he's worried about forgetting how to play.

What do you mean stay focused on the Canucks? I doubt he's going to get attached to whatever team he goes to and won't come back. He needs to focus on playing hockey.

#9 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,040 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

Same could be said for many of the Canucks

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#10 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,567 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

that's just something that someone with smaller ice surfaces say to make themselves feel better.

#11 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

He said this a couple of days age. Apparently there isn't much available in Europe right now.

Schneider, who considered signing in Switzerland to play a couple of weeks ago, is resigned now to waiting the negotiations out here in North America.

“It’s pretty quiet in Europe,” Schneider said. “Unless Europe opens up, I don’t really have a choice but to stick it out here.

http://www.sportsnet...i_disagree_cba/

#12 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

It's playing that keeps him sharp and focused, not the jersey color.

#13 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

I like that our players have mostly stayed here, shows loyalty to the team and fans rather than the guys who immediately bolted overseas to play for other teams and get paid less $ than what they're negotiating for here. Schnieds is trying to get this season on track rather than letting it be dealt by someone else.

#14 numb3r 16

numb3r 16

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

i think that he wants to stay in the negotiations

Obvious answer is he thinks the lockout will end soon. But if the lockout is still going on after November who else really wants to see Schneider sign in a different league and be the number 1 on that team? I'd be really excited to see what numbers Schneider can put up as a starter.

#15 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

To say that he has the starting job right now is kind of jumping the shark. If Luongo doesn't get traded and doesn't do a TT and out play Schnieds, they'll pay them around 50% each, just to save face and show Luongo could still handle the load of being a starter in the NHL.
Posted Image

#16 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

One thing is very clear... Luongo will not have the starting job and he will not get 50% of the starts or even close to it.

#17 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,784 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

One thing is very clear... Luongo will not have the starting job and he will not get 50% of the starts or even close to it.

Oh well, 50% of 0 is still 0.
Posted Image

#18 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

Oh well, 50% of 0 is still 0.

Haha yeah at this rate we don't have to worry about anything hockey related until next season!! I think they will get something done and get a 1995 similar season happening.

#19 Kevin-B

Kevin-B

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

Although I think its great that he and most of the team haven't jumped ship for Europe,I do wonder what impact it will have on him
as time goes by. Even with the european ice being different dimensions,I would "think" that it would still keep your skills up to par but as he stated in one of his interviews a month or so ago that playing in Europe can develop bad habits when applied to the NHL. What are most goalies/players doing during the lockout to keep up their levels?

#20 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

Lots of games, even in a potentially shortened season. Im not worried about anyone being rusty, keep in the gym and practice your stuff with some of the other guys in the mean time. They should be hittin full stride a couple weeks into the season regardless.

#21 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

OMG seriously ? He has absolutely everything to prove. To himself his team and the league . He has started a total of 56 games ? I think he is the future but he has a loooong way to go .

1987.jpg

On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami :ph34r:

#22 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

Schneider's concern: Risk of injury, different angles affecting his game, moving to a different country is actually a big change in your life even for a year, stay fresh for the season, desire to be part of the negotiations, in a good zone working out and getting prepared, dealing with insurance and other potential contractual issues etc.

Canucks' concern: Risk of injury, improper nutrition, inadequate personnel care, risk of injury, insurance, risk of injury, checking in with its players, risk of injury, risk of injury, risk of injury.

#23 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

Starting job my ass... He hasn't proved anything yet. Luongo deserves it!

#24 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,387 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

Starting job my ass... He hasn't proved anything yet. Luongo deserves it!

Don't know what you have been sniffing. Roberto Luongo is gonna be traded as soon as there is a new CBA. They need to unload that contract.

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#25 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,438 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

Don't know what you have been sniffing. Roberto Luongo is gonna be traded as soon as there is a new CBA. They need to unload that contract.

no he's not. Were you hear this from? The internet? Canucks.com?

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#26 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

So you think he is going to stay as our number 1 goalie?

#27 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,387 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

Numerous rumors from Sportsnet saying Luongo is gonna be in Toronto when the lockout is over.

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#28 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:34 AM

Need I remind anyone here about when Cloutier went to play in Austria?

#29 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

Haha yeah at this rate we don't have to worry about anything hockey related until next season!! I think they will get something done and get a 1995 similar season happening.

The more this lockout keeps dragging, the more I think it will be similar to the 2004 season.

Posted Image

#30 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

Numerous rumors from Sportsnet saying Luongo is gonna be in Toronto when the lockout is over.

If that were true, we better be getting Gardiner, 1st round pick and Van Rimsdyke or Lupul.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.