240 replies to this topic

#1 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:26 AM

Faith McGregor requested a haircut at the Terminal Barber Shop in Toronto. She was refused. The co-owner Omar Mahrouk, a Muslim, said he could not cut the hair of a woman who was not related to him.
She is taking the case to the Human Rights Commission claiming discrimination.

http://www.ctvnews.c...laint-1.1040609

#2 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:35 AM

Classic!

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#3 That's What She Said

That's What She Said

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

Can the owners file a counter-complaint against the woman for not respecting their religious customs?
Why not Zoidberg? (\/)(°,,,°)(\/)

#4 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

Can the owners file a counter-complaint against the woman for not respecting their religious customs?

So why do they have a business for cutting hair to the public than?
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#5 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:39 AM

I'm a dog person, but you're sig bothers me.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#6 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

Faith McGregor requested a haircut at the Terminal Barber Shop in Toronto. She was refused. The co-owner Omar Mahrouk, a Muslim, said he could not cut the hair of a woman who was not related to him.
She is taking the case to the Human Rights Commission claiming discrimination.

http://www.ctvnews.c...laint-1.1040609

Its ridiculous from a practical standpoint. However, their religion forbids this, and as nuts as it sounds she should respect his right to believe whatever he wants .

She doesnt have to respect HIM for his arcane belief system. I certainly wouldnt. But to SUE the guy over it?

Where does all this end? Sue everyone for everything . Sue feminist groups for not allowing men. Sue the black caucus or refusing white people. Sue Chinese people for not teaching everyone else Cantonese for free. They teach their children Cantonese for free.

At some point we have to call it what it is. An excuse to try to feel important via victimization for any reason whether it be reasonable or not.
Posted Image

#7 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,260 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

I went into a dog groomers the other day and asked to have my nails trimmed, they told me they only did dogs. Guess I should whip out a lawsuit, I feel discriminated against.

:picard:

2yyb7lj.jpg

#8 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:11 AM

Ok, but at what point should religion be curbed within a business. Aren't we talking about a city that wouldn't allow cabbies to have religious items within view inside their vehicles?

Denying someone from a service you provide to the public because of your religious beliefs is crazy. This madness needs to end and soon!
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#9 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:12 AM

I went into a dog groomers the other day and asked to have my nails trimmed, they told me they only did dogs. Guess I should whip out a lawsuit, I feel discriminated against.

:picard:

Apples and orangutans.

If services are offered to persons then they must not be discriminatory as set out in the Ontario Human Rights Code:

PART I
FREEDOM FROM DISCRIMINATION

Services

1. Every person has a right to equal treatment with respect to services, goods and facilities, without discrimination because of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status or disability.

We had recent case in BC where an evangelical Christian couple were running a bed and breakfast and refused accommodation to a same sex couple and were found in breach of the BC Human Rights Code.

http://www.bchrt.bc....2_BCHRT_247.pdf
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#10 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,593 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:24 AM

POPULAR

The real question is:
Why is a man opening a barber shop when he can't cut womens hair?
Posted Image

#11 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:31 AM

The real question is:

Guys get haircuts too?
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#12 Twilight Sparkle

Twilight Sparkle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,049 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:33 AM

great business model

15fitjt.jpg

who was fitted with collar and chain

who was given a pat on the back

who was breaking away from the pack

#13 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:44 AM

We should all complain about women-only gyms...but that's already been tried and failed.

Vancouver-area man loses human rights case against female-only gym

A Burnaby man who complained he was discriminated against when a female-only gym refused to let him join has lost his case before the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal. In a written decision released yesterday, tribunal member Judy Parrack said women should have the option of working out in a space "free of the male gaze" and that men have many co-ed gyms to choose from instead. But Ms. Parrack said the main reason she was dismissing the case by Gordon Stopps, pictured, against Just Ladies Fitness was that she thinks Mr. Stopps never really wanted to join the gym in the first place. "He wanted to make a point," she wrote...

http://www.canada.co...01-201c3431de8a

Edited by DarthNinja_S19Blade, 16 November 2012 - 01:47 AM.

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

rsz_theylive.jpg 11477626583_2368927097.jpg  7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#14 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:46 AM

We should all sue women-only gyms...but that's already been tried and failed.

http://en.wikipedia...._Ladies_Fitness

Some dudes just want to sneak into their locker rooms, I just want to do yoga with them.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#15 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:57 AM

I am ALL for people moving here, but these 3rd world views MUST be left in their home countries. No disrespect, but there is a reason you left the country you were born.

This is like those Vietnamese born people petitioning to keep a hospice out of their area, because their culture says 'it's bad luck to have sick people near them'.

#16 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:26 AM

It's religion, nothing she can do
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#17 BananaMash

BananaMash

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,079 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:34 AM

Her name is Faith and she didn't get a haircut because of religious beliefs, part of me finds that absolutely hilarious. Probably because it's almost 2am, but still. Lmao.

Posted Image

#18 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,227 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:12 AM

This story is going worldwide. Even some Islamic news outlets are going with it.

http://english.alara.../16/249931.html

#19 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:09 AM

Oh, Skycake. Why are you so deliciouusssssssss

RIP LB RR PD

#20 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:43 AM

been to lots of barber shops that seem to cater only to men and never seen a woman at these places unless it was the stylist or a mom etc,

BTW, I hope the shop fails as it seems to me that they only hire male Muslim (fundamentalist?) barbers.

Edited by hudson bay rules, 16 November 2012 - 05:59 AM.

I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#21 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:59 AM

Apples and orangutans.

If services are offered to persons then they must not be discriminatory as set out in the Ontario Human Rights Code:

PART I
FREEDOM FROM DISCRIMINATION

Services
1. Every person has a right to equal treatment with respect to services, goods and facilities, without discrimination because of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status or disability.

We had recent case in BC where an evangelical Christian couple were running a bed and breakfast and refused accommodation to a same sex couple and were found in breach of the BC Human Rights Code.

http://www.bchrt.bc....2_BCHRT_247.pdf

Your analysis does not explain a whole laundry list of gender biased organizations or minority only special groups.

And further to this, the fact that this woman is so bent out of shape about this guys arcane religion is what the real humor is.

Who does she have representing this earth shattering lawsuit? ACLU ? Are they doing the pro bono ?
Posted Image

#22 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:07 AM

I hope the shop fails too just because of the stupidity of religion but successfully suing this barber shop (which I fear will be the result) is ridiculous and I hope against all odds the lawsuit fails. Theoretically, maybe they are bad at cutting women's hair, maybe they have gynophobia, maybe they're religious.. whatever the reason, theoretical and otherwise, by today's standards that type of discrimination is a threat to business all by itself as very few people want to be involved in that type of volatility over getting a friggen hair cut... limiting who their business tailors to can only hurt their own bottom line. I've never agreed that access to non-essential private services is considered a right. I also shake my head as to how one "right" supersedes another. There's a pretty obvious conflict and favouritism of rights even though the one given such favouritism shouldn't even be a right. Forced political correctness is bad enough but extending it this far is almost as stupid as religion is.

Edited by zaibatsu, 16 November 2012 - 06:13 AM.

#23 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,705 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:24 AM

Don't businesses have the right to refuse service?
If he just said, "No, I don't want to cut your hair. Find another place."

Would this have been an issue?

#24 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:44 AM

Don't businesses have the right to refuse service?
If he just said, "No, I don't want to cut your hair. Find another place."

Would this have been an issue?

Yes, one can still easily find patterns that put two and two together as far as discrimination is concerned even without someone actually saying why the service was denied. Observation alone of who goes in and comes out with a hair cut (or woman after woman going in for a hair cut, coming out 30 seconds later without one) is sufficient.

Someone that pissed off, and with no life, to avoid simply going to another barber shop depriving religious clowns of revenue (women tend to be better revenue than men in this regard) and voicing their displeasure so that business can be deprived more money, can waste court time with pointless litigation in these regards, thanks to nanny behaviour modification rules ignore freedom of choice for consumer and puts women on a pedestal as if she is weak, inferior, and should be given special treatment. A second example of this, are female-only taxi services, which somehow interpretations of the charter just conveniently overlook. There's no logic in political correctness like this.

Edited by zaibatsu, 16 November 2012 - 07:49 AM.

#25 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,037 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

Ok, but at what point should religion be curbed within a business. Aren't we talking about a city that wouldn't allow cabbies to have religious items within view inside their vehicles?

Denying someone from a service you provide to the public because of your religious beliefs is crazy. This madness needs to end and soon!

a woman going to a men's barbershop is insane. the barbers, for one, have no clue how to cut female styles. that's like taking a bulldozer to a porsche dealership and asking them to fix the hydraulics. they just have no clue how to do it.

and there are thousands of men only/women only barbershops/salons in Canada and the USA, and they are clearly marked, why did she NEED to go to that one and demand service?

Edited by avelanch, 16 November 2012 - 08:48 AM.

#26 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

did she tr going to another barber to get her hair cut?

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#27 Blame Obama

Blame Obama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

The real question is:

barber is for guys salon is for girls!!

10f3wcl.jpg

sig made by: -Vintage Canuck-

#28 bjh

bjh

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

I went into McDonalds and asked for a Prime Rib yesterday. They turned me down! What the hell!
The Keg was across the street so I just went there instead, but still, what an outrage.

They make all sorts of beef products in there I don't see why I couldn't just get the Prime Rib.

Class action suit anyone?

The bottom line is that every business on the planet specializes in specific things. If a business chooses to serve one sort of clientele over another, that should be their prerogative. There is no unhealthy discrimination against women in this case. He gave a religious reason for not cutting the woman's hair, but there are also several other reasons he could have denied her service.

Either way you look at it this is bogus to the power of eleven.

Edited by bjh, 16 November 2012 - 08:58 AM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#29 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,037 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

The real question is:

Posted Image

#30 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,372 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

Easy solution - the owner of the barbershop should hire at least one woman.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.