The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Woman Denied Haircut, Files Human Right Complaint

DonLever

Your analysis does not explain a whole laundry list of gender biased organizations or minority only special groups.

And further to this, the fact that this woman is so bent out of shape about this guys arcane religion is what the real humor is.

Who does she have representing this earth shattering lawsuit? ACLU ? Are they doing the pro bono ?

Really? Then why can't my son say the Lord's prayer in the public school?

Sorry, this "barbershop" is open to the public.

I said before - all he needs to do is hire a female barber and/or have a sign clearly stating that it is a Men's only barbershop.

Why do I say that? The barber I used to go to in Calgary (before I recently moved back to BC) is a Muslim and that's what he did.

I went into McDonalds and asked for a Prime Rib yesterday. They turned me down! What the hell!

The Keg was across the street so I just went there instead, but still, what an outrage.

They make all sorts of beef products in there I don't see why I couldn't just get the Prime Rib.

Class action suit anyone?

The bottom line is that every business on the planet specializes in specific things. If a business chooses to serve one sort of clientele over another, that should be their prerogative. There is no unhealthy discrimination against women in this case. He gave a religious reason for not cutting the woman's hair, but there are also several other reasons he could have denied her service.

Either way you look at it this is bogus to the power of eleven.

You're probably right. I would most likely be demonized for my efforts.

BUT if I were to switch to the Ladies Gym...the benefits to me would be...

1. Can walk instead of driving. Save $ on gas and less pollution to the environment.

2. Frees up the car so my wife can use it if need be.

3. I'm walking which helps cuz I need to get more exercise (as per doctor's orders).

I see no reason why I should be denied joining the Ladies gym.

^

Unless the barbershop says 'unisex' on the front sign, then it is a male barbershop. This is the precident that has been set for decades.

Did we want to reset precedence that 'women's only' fitness clubs now have to allow men? Nope.

This case is absurd and is a prime example of human rights abuse/misuse. I feel for the people with legitimate human rights issues who are not getting this kind of attention.

If this women is successful in winning her lawsuit and gets $$ out of it. I'll be wanting to join a Ladies only gym that is only a 5 minute walk away from my place instead of a Steve Nash Fitness Club (that I currently go to) that is a 5 minute drive from my place.

Prices are about the same but the Ladies Gym is close and in walking distance.

Fair is fair.

Archived