The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Woman Denied Haircut, Files Human Right Complaint

DonLever

Apples and orangutans.

If services are offered to persons then they must not be discriminatory as set out in the Ontario Human Rights Code:

PART I

FREEDOM FROM DISCRIMINATION

Services

1. Every person has a right to equal treatment with respect to services, goods and facilities, without discrimination because of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status or disability.

We had recent case in BC where an evangelical Christian couple were running a bed and breakfast and refused accommodation to a same sex couple and were found in breach of the BC Human Rights Code.

http://www.bchrt.bc....2_BCHRT_247.pdf

I hope the shop fails too just because of the stupidity of religion but successfully suing this barber shop (which I fear will be the result) is ridiculous and I hope against all odds the lawsuit fails. Theoretically, maybe they are bad at cutting women's hair, maybe they have gynophobia, maybe they're religious.. whatever the reason, theoretical and otherwise, by today's standards that type of discrimination is a threat to business all by itself as very few people want to be involved in that type of volatility over getting a friggen hair cut... limiting who their business tailors to can only hurt their own bottom line. I've never agreed that access to non-essential private services is considered a right. I also shake my head as to how one "right" supersedes another. There's a pretty obvious conflict and favouritism of rights even though the one given such favouritism shouldn't even be a right. Forced political correctness is bad enough but extending it this far is almost as stupid as religion is.

Ok, but at what point should religion be curbed within a business. Aren't we talking about a city that wouldn't allow cabbies to have religious items within view inside their vehicles?

Denying someone from a service you provide to the public because of your religious beliefs is crazy. This madness needs to end and soon!

I went into McDonalds and asked for a Prime Rib yesterday. They turned me down! What the hell!

The Keg was across the street so I just went there instead, but still, what an outrage.

They make all sorts of beef products in there I don't see why I couldn't just get the Prime Rib.

Class action suit anyone?

The bottom line is that every business on the planet specializes in specific things. If a business chooses to serve one sort of clientele over another, that should be their prerogative. There is no unhealthy discrimination against women in this case. He gave a religious reason for not cutting the woman's hair, but there are also several other reasons he could have denied her service.

Either way you look at it this is bogus to the power of eleven.

he's not preventing the woman from getting a haircut, he's just not doing them there because they don't have the skills required.

Why aren't Ferrari dealerships required to service construction vehicles? It's an easy solution, they just need to hire at least one heavy machinery mechanic. Right?

she clearly went there on purpose looking for a lawsuit.

he's not preventing the woman from getting a haircut, he's just not doing them there because they don't have the skills required.

Why aren't Ferrari dealerships required to service construction vehicles? It's an easy solution, they just need to hire at least one heavy machinery mechanic. Right?

she clearly went there on purpose looking for a lawsuit.

Archived