The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To shampoo or not shampoo?

Heretic

I have had the same bottle of shampoo in the shower for years now, I use it about 4-6 times a year, usually if I get something stuck in my hair, like car grease.

I don't used conditioner, deoderant, anti-perspirant, fabric softener or name brand flouride toothpaste.

my body soap is made by hippies on Salt Spring.

I wear natural fabric and my feet don't smell if I avoid buying shoes with that aweful "man-made " fabric inside. (man that stuff reeks and leather shoes are hard to find)

I too avoid the corporate monster which is difficult as I drive for a living and it also makes being a hockey fan somewhat ironic.

Still trying to figure out how to avoid dish and laundry soap .

I also had some fun trying the 100 mile diet a couple of years ago.

when i eat out i never salt my food unless absolutely necessary. I espescially never salt it before trying some, that's just stupid. as for no shampoo or soap, i'm not buying it... or rather, I AM buying it, i'm not buying the idea that i'll be ok with just water only showers.

I use it every 2-3 days. Gotta stick to the same type because the others tend to dry my hair out.

Not using shampoo & conditioner would be disgusting. Washing your hair with just water (for females w/ long hair) leads to a weird smell. Kinda smells like your clothes after being out in the rain.

I hate soap and definitely wouldnt want soap scum on my body or scalp.

I can see why it wouldnt be much of a problem for guys to go without shampoo. It wouldnt work out for a female if she wanted her hair to smell nice.

It's usually referenced as "NoPoo" regimen.

Reddit has some helpful posts on there -- http://www.reddit.com/r/NoPoo/

Anyways, I've been experimenting it for around a month now. Overall, I've seen a vast improvement in my hair, but there were some transitional periods.

First and foremost though, you can still use conditioners, although it can be advisable to 'make your own.' One example would be apple cider vinegar diluted in water -- for the most part, your head won't smell like vinegar, but rather neutral afterwards. Alternatively, you can use a few drops of something like lemon oil to add a scent.

You -can- still use shampoo every few days, whatever is comfortable for you, but you 'really' don't have to do it everyday. Also, with your lessened dependency on shampoo, you may want to consider investing in a more natural shampoo (which may be more expensive, but you still win out financially in the end).

In terms of general smell, you'll usually be similar to your pillowcase after a few days of use -- no, I don't mean like the detergent you used to wash it.

If anyone considers giving it a try, it's almost general consensus that it sucks at first while you get used to it. Have to stick it out

Sweat is virtually odorless. BO comes from when people sweat, and don't wash for an extended period of time, or continue to wear the clothes they sweat in.

I wear deodorant, but it's more out of habit. If I forget to wear it, or am out or whatever, it doesn't make a difference. BO comes from sweat + time + lack of cleaning.

I shower obsessively, so it's never really an issue for me

Dishwasher soap: 1/2 cup borax, 1/2 cup washing soda, 1/4 cup citric acid. 1 teaspoon per load. Buy citric acid through ebay.

Rinse aid: White vinegar.

Laundry soap: 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda, 1 bar grated hand soap.

Save a mountain of cash as one box of washing soda and borax does a 4-member family's laundry and dishwashing for a whole year.

I have had the same bottle of shampoo in the shower for years now, I use it about 4-6 times a year, usually if I get something stuck in my hair, like car grease.

I don't used conditioner, deoderant, anti-perspirant, fabric softener or name brand flouride toothpaste.

my body soap is made by hippies on Salt Spring.

I wear natural fabric and my feet don't smell if I avoid buying shoes with that aweful "man-made " fabric inside. (man that stuff reeks and leather shoes are hard to find)

I too avoid the corporate monster which is difficult as I drive for a living and it also makes being a hockey fan somewhat ironic.

Still trying to figure out how to avoid dish and laundry soap .

I also had some fun trying the 100 mile diet a couple of years ago.

Archived