The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

wasted talent

whytelight

Hi:

I would like to start a discussion regarding the more disappointing or surprisingly bitter outcomes in the NHL. I would like to start by discussing Jerome Iginla. I really have to feel for the guy. I’m sure we could argue that his heart, determination, talent, and competitiveness are all something that we would love on our team. However, all this is being wasted on a team like the flames.

Another player is Nolan Baumgartner. A #10 overall pick and he spent his entire career in the AHL.

What other examples can you think of where a player is wasting their talent or a highly touted player failed to live to expectations?

- Nikolay Zherdev is one that stands out for me, he had some very productive seasons, he looked like he was gunna be a star, and very well could have been. but similar to Filatov, things got rocky in Columbus, and when he left he was really never able to achieve the potential he had, and now he is in the KHL.

- There are alot of other's Pascal Leclaire is one too, a former 8th overall pick (Ironicly again from CBJ). This is a story I heard Doug MacLean tell on Hockeycentral the other day: He had a great season one year, he was 24 I think he had just come off of 9 Shutouts I believe, he looked like he was gunna be the future in between the pipes for Columbus.

He got hurt, and I forget the injury but it was something to his leg, and MacLean said that the doctor came to him and said "He will never be the same again" Kind of sad.

- The Ultimate one for me is Alex Diage, 1st overall in the Bantam draft, 1st overall in the NHL draft. Idk how he failed.

There are ton's of other's though. in pretty much every draft class there are atleast 1 or 2 players who went in the top 10 or 15, that just became big busts, and never could even manage a decent NHL career.

We should be careful in dividing out the top picks who turned out to be busts/journeymen (ie. Stepan, Brandon Reid, Daigle), from those who are indeed talent, but either didnt have the drive to succeed or the team to back them up (ie. Filatov, Zherdev, Iggy for parts of his career, Rick Nash)

One that comes to mind for me is former Giants goalie Dustin Slade. Went with the team to league tops place as well as a semifinals berth, but attitude drove him to leave the team after splitting time with Tyson Sexsmith. Of course, we know how that ended one year after.

Patrick Stephan and Pavel Brendyl come to my mind because they were do highly touted and were both expected to be drafted before the Sedins.

I think Daigle certainly takes the top spot, Pat Falloon was a big bust as well.

Would you consider Lindros to be a bust considering all the hype that came with him? Philly sure gave up a lot to get him and no cup!

We should be careful in dividing out the top picks who turned out to be busts/journeymen (ie. Stepan, Brandon Reid, Daigle), from those who are indeed talent, but either didnt have the drive to succeed or the team to back them up (ie. Filatov, Zherdev, Iggy for parts of his career, Rick Nash)

One that comes to mind for me is former Giants goalie Dustin Slade. Went with the team to league tops place as well as a semifinals berth, but attitude drove him to leave the team after splitting time with Tyson Sexsmith. Of course, we know how that ended one year after.

I like Your first reference to talent being wasted on a poor team

But if Your only asking What other examples can you think of where a player is wasting their talent or a highly touted player failed to live to expectations?

My choices of highly touted players who didnt meet their expectations in no particular order would be

Alexandre Daige

Rick Dipietro

Bryan Fogerty

Pavel Brendl

Brett Lindros

Pat Falloon

Brian Lawton

Pat Stephan

Doug Wickenheiser

? Tkacuk (not Keith)

and to add a Canuck

Alex Stojanov

I thought Nedved was a big disappointment (even though he put up some NHL points)

- Nikolay Zherdev is one that stands out for me, he had some very productive seasons, he looked like he was gunna be a star, and very well could have been. but similar to Filatov, things got rocky in Columbus, and when he left he was really never able to achieve the potential he had, and now he is in the KHL.

- There are alot of other's Pascal Leclaire is one too, a former 8th overall pick (Ironicly again from CBJ). This is a story I heard Doug MacLean tell on Hockeycentral the other day: He had a great season one year, he was 24 I think he had just come off of 9 Shutouts I believe, he looked like he was gunna be the future in between the pipes for Columbus.

He got hurt, and I forget the injury but it was something to his leg, and MacLean said that the doctor came to him and said "He will never be the same again" Kind of sad.

- The Ultimate one for me is Alex Diage, 1st overall in the Bantam draft, 1st overall in the NHL draft. Idk how he failed.

There are ton's of other's though. in pretty much every draft class there are atleast 1 or 2 players who went in the top 10 or 15, that just became big busts, and never could even manage a decent NHL career.

Archived