The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would We Be Better Off Without The Royals?

TOMapleLaughs

Without getting off topic, "England" ? do you mean Great Britain? are riddled with class corruption and delusions of still being a World Power. Both are linked by the way...............and there lies the source of their fiscal ineptitude. That is one of the reasons I am such a strong Scottish Nationalist.

Even if you killed the Royals, seized all their property, and proportioned the money out as a dividend cheque (which using the rough value of 20 billion for their total land holdings, the castles, the crown jewals, etc. would be about 350 pounds sterling) for everyone in England they would still be hooped. It would cover 20% of their current budget deficit. For one year. As a nation they would still be massively in debt.

Doing the same for the Governer General in Canada might save you enough for a cup of coffee.

Even in England and even more so you're free to say bad things about the Queen or just outright ignore all the pap.

Compare that with the states where you get the same mess but with Kardashians.

Compare that with other states where the King is still very much real and not to be insulted.

Compare that even with supposedly equal societies where inevitably some sort of elite emerges.

I would say what we have no is a pretty cheap and benign placeholder for claims anyone might have regarding their moral reasoning for being the head of state.

Personally, I'll keep the Royals on the off chance someone, I don't know who maybe the big guy in the basement, decides to home invade us because he did not pay his water bill.

It's a little reassuring knowing we have historical and political ties to another strong nation.

All your egss, one basket....

Personally, I'll keep the Royals on the off chance someone, I don't know who maybe the big guy in the basement, decides to home invade us because he did not pay his water bill.

It's a little reassuring knowing we have historical and political ties to another strong nation.

All your egss, one basket....

It won't happen anytime soon...as if it really really difficult to make this happen...if you think about it there has been other similar reform like the Canadian Senate which had failed and tried to change I believe but never worked...anyone who study political science should know this wont happen with the current government or probably future government as does not seem to be willing change

The problem is getting rid of the Queen of Canada and her delegates the Governor General and Lieutenant Governors requires a unanimous amendment to the Constitution of Canada and can only be modified by a unanimous vote of all the provinces plus the two Houses of Parliament known as the "unanimity formula" per section 41 (a) of the Constitution Act, 1982:

41. An amendment to the Constitution of Canada in relation to the following matters may be made by proclamation issued by the Governor General under the Great Seal of Canada only where authorized by resolutions of the Senate and House of Commons and of the legislative assemblies of each province:

(a) the office of the Queen, the Governor General and the Lieutenant Governor of a province;

That possibility seems to be on the order of chance of slim and none... and slim has left the building. So it is pure fantasy without any real world foundation.

I feel no need to complain when this doesn't really impact me in any way. Afterall, it's not like you're doing something major like denying me a haircut.

However, i am curious as to why you cannot just answer the question? All work and no play?

I am sticking with the topic at hand. As I have pointed out it is a fantasy post.

If you think I am not "on topic" then do what the rules direct and report me rather than blathering on..

Archived