The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fugitive McAfee Blogs On The Run From Belize Police

dudeone

Fugitive McAfee Blogs On The Run From Belize Police

http://updatednews.c...-belize-police/

The founder of anti-virus software maker McAfee has gone on the run in Belize following a police investigation into the murder of his neighbour.

Protesting his innocence, Mr McAfee said via his blog that he had gone into hiding following police “harassment”.

Belize police said Mr McAfee was a “person of interest” in the murder of Florida businessman Gregory Faull.

The authorities said they wanted to talk to him to help investigate the circumstances surrounding the death.

Mr Faull was found dead of a single gunshot to the head on 11 November. His Belize home sits next to the compound Mr McAfee maintains, on a tropical island. Mr Faull is known to have had a long-running row with Mr McAfee about the multi-millionaire fugitive’s dogs.

On his blog, Mr McAfee said he was writing to publicise the treatment he had received at the hands of the police in Belize. Mr McAfee said he had nothing to do with the death of Mr Faull. Belize police said he should come forward to help them track down the killer.

Mr McAfee said he was hiding so he could keep an eye on his home and what the police did to investigate Mr Faull’s death.

To go unnoticed, Mr McAfee revealed that he had changed his appearance by dying his hair and beard, stuck chewed bubble gum to his upper gums to fatten his face and stained his teeth.

He said he took these steps so he could stay close to his Belize home and conduct his own investigation into Mr Faull’s death, adding that he had little faith that the island’s police would find the murderer.

“My safety is contingent on the truth being discovered,” he wrote.

In an interview with US TV station NBC, Mr McAfee offered a reward of $25,000 (£15,700) for the capture of the “person or persons” behind the killing.

On his blog, Mr McAfee said the blog would continue if he was captured as he had pre-written enough material for about 12 months of entries. In addition, he said, the blog was maintained by a friend, Chad Essley, who is writing and drawing a graphic novel about Mr McAfee’s life.

(BBC | Technology)

• 2 weeks later...
McAfee’s time in Belize has been nothing like the paradise you would imagine. He attempted to launch a new age pharmaceutical company but at some point local police began to suspect that the former dotcom king was actually manufacturing methamphetamine and an ultra potent strand of bath salts. When police raided his house in May 2012 they found dozens of guns and threw McAfee in jail for a night. Fast forward five months to today when authorities in Belize announced that John McAfee is the prime suspect in the murder of a fellow expat named Gregory Faull. McAfee is now on the run from police, but with limited access to resources and lack of passport (it was confiscated during his May arrest), McAfee faces a monumental challenge. We’ll keep you posted as new information comes in but this truly is one of the most shocking and sad stories of a man who by all means should be a billionaire king of the world today. Not a nearly broke fugitive murder suspect in Belize.

***Update*** McAfee professed his innocence when he was reached via cell phone for comment today. He claims that the he is being set up by the Prime Minister and police of Belize who want him dead: “They’ve been trying to get me for months. They want to silence me. I am not well liked by the prime minister. I am just a thorn in everybody’s side. They mistook him [Gregory Faull] for me. They got the wrong house. He’s dead. They killed him.”

Archived