Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Article] Jim Vandermeer a fit with the Canucks?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 SOB for MVP

SOB for MVP

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

VANCOUVER — Jim Vandermeer was making final wedding plans in Vancouver three years ago when he learned of his trade from Calgary to Phoenix. When the NHL lockout ends, the unrestricted free agent defenceman would like to learn the Canucks believe the well-travelled blueliner is the right replacement for the departed Aaron Rome.

Judging by how Vandermeer warmed to the prospect of being a depth blueliner at a reasonable salary in order to play for a Stanley Cup contender, the $1 million US he earned last season in a one-year deal with San Jose could attract some local attention. There was a pre-lockout discussion between Vandermeer’s agent Brad Devine and the Canucks, but that doesn’t mean the Presidents’ Trophy winners would necessarily lean his way should a shortened season commence next month.

Kevin Connauton, Derek Joslin and Patrick Mullen are skating with the Chicago Wolves and may merit roster consideration on the back end with the loss of the skilled Sami Salo. So would unsigned AHL blueliners. The Canucks may also take a defenceman back in an eventual Roberto Luongo trade package, too, so different dynamics could play out. Vandermeer hopes the experience and toughness he brings will play out in his favour.

“It would be very attractive and work out great,” Vandermeer said Monday after skating with NHL peers and the Thunderbirds at UBC. “We’ve talked a little bit to Vancouver when we could and it was the same as when we talked to other teams. We picked the ones who would have a need for a guy like me. Hopefully, when we start talking they [Canucks] feel the same way.”

The Canucks are set with the pairings of Kevin Bieksa-Dan Hamhuis, Alex Edler-Jason Garrison, Keith Ballard-Chris Tanev and Andrew Alberts as the seventh defenceman. However, with Edler and Garrison nursing back and groin injuries respectively, there’s always the need for depth and that’s where the 32-year-old Vandermeer believes his stay-at-home game and physical play are of value. The Canucks could land a 10-year veteran in their narrowing window to win it all and the 22-year-old Connauton, who has an offensive upside but needs to play better in his own zone, would get another year to mature.

“One of the big reasons I went to San Jose was they’re right on the edge and I thought I might be a guy to help push them, but we fell short last year,” added the 6-foot-1, 214 pound Vandermeer. “The Canucks have been consistently good for a long time with the parity in the league where a power play or a blocked shot might turn the whole game around.”

Vandermeer missed 20 games last season with a broken hand after blocking a shot and played just 25 games. His 25 career goals and 105 points in 461 games with six teams are overshadowed by 664 penalty minutes. The Canucks could use that toughness, especially in the postseason. And if Vandermeer is willing to accept a one-year deal at a reasonable rate that is salary cap friendly, the Canucks will have to at least kick the tires on the Caroline, Alta, native.

“Who wouldn’t want more than a one-year deal?,” asked Vandermeer. “But sometimes, that’s just the way it is and you just work hard and play hard so they want to bring you back. I like to think I can play all aspects of the game. I can be a little offensive and be good defensively and stand up for the guys.
“I try to make it harder on the other team’s top-end guys and whoever needs a guy like that, I’ll be ready.”

Whether it’s the Canucks or not, remains to be seen. They have options. So does Vandermeer.

http://blogs.theprov...do-the-canucks/

Thoughts?

Posted Image

sig by -VC-

#2 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

Definetly wouldn't mind Vandermeer. I'd give him a PTO just to see how he does first.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#3 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

I'd give him a shot, worst thing that could happen is it doesn't work out and you deal him for peanuts/let him go through waivers/let him play in Chicago.

/=S=/

#4 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

Definetly wouldn't mind Vandermeer. I'd give him a PTO just to see how he does first.

Was going to say this.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#5 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,429 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

I didnt even read the article but my answer is yes!

Instant upgrade on Rome or Albert and add much needed toughness in our defencemen.

#6 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

Instant upgrade on Rome or Albert and add much needed toughness in our defencemen.

Pretty much this.

Jagermeister.jpg

#7 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,764 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

Can this guy throw down? sign him up :)

#8 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

Can this guy throw down? sign him up :)

Might not be the toughest, but he certainly has the technique down.
Plus he's always willing to drop 'em.

Jagermeister.jpg

#9 biznasty

biznasty

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

Ugh I hate Jack Edwards
Posted Image

#10 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,764 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

Might not be the toughest, but he certainly has the technique down.
Plus he's always willing to drop 'em.

I particularly like the 1st one. I'm sold. Sign him up.

#11 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

PTO at the very least.

RIP LB RR PD

#12 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

sure, but I don't see how he's much different from all those other guys who play physical depth roles

(PTO sounds fine but these guys are kind of a dime a dozen)

Edited by g@m3b0i, 19 November 2012 - 08:23 PM.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#13 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

This man is one tough SOB and would be a good 7th d-man. He would be a good add IMO, but definitely give him a PTO to see how he fits with the team.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#14 whysoserious

whysoserious

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

He also set up Jordan Eberle's first NHL goal if I remember correctly.
Posted Image

#15 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

Ugh I hate Jack Edwards

He has a voice in which you wish he'd never commentate for your team. Ever. And he and his partner are so biased towards Boston it's not even funny. Most biased commentators in any sport.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#16 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

I think Rome was a better player but JV brings toughness that we could definitely use. I'd be open to switching up Alberts for him to see if he can provide more edge.. I still think in hindsight Shane obrien would have been more helpful in our cup run because he plays with more of an edge than Alberts.

#17 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,487 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

For sure, would like a PTO first but if he doesn't accept I would be fine a bringing him in on a 1 year, one-way deal for less than 1 Mill.

zackass.png

#18 SOB for MVP

SOB for MVP

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

I personally think he brings more to the table than Alberts

Posted Image

sig by -VC-

#19 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

I personally think he brings more to the table than Alberts

I agree. Hits as good, fights better and can't be any slower.
1 year 1 way deal sounds good. At the very worst, Aquilini eats another salary (under current CBA cap rules)

#20 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,324 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

I think Rome was a better player but JV brings toughness that we could definitely use. I'd be open to switching up Alberts for him to see if he can provide more edge.. I still think in hindsight Shane obrien would have been more helpful in our cup run because he plays with more of an edge than Alberts.

I don't think Aaron Rome got enough credit for what he brought. He had a better game than Alberts but neither were confident enough in their game to play physical enough. I am surprised to see your props to SOB's physical game as it pretty much had disappeared by the time he was dealt. The real issue might be that AV didn't want his 5 and 6 dmen taking penalties. Fear of riding the bench might have been a problem.

JV might have more luck in that department because of his experience. Absolutely a must that Van gets a physical component back on the d-line.

#21 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

<p><p>Upgrade over Rome/Alberts...any SC Rings/experience? If so,may be a decent 1 year pickup - especially since this Joslin guy in the minors is wretched (awful signing)...

Edited by Here's Johnny, 22 November 2012 - 01:05 PM.

#22 laxgoalie

laxgoalie

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6i9eq4I6_M

Love that smile he keeps on his face while he fights Lucic. I wouldn't mind having him as a depth player.

And on a side note. I hate when they try to commentate the fights. "Oh and he lands a right... Oh and he lands another..." I wouldnt mind if they just let us watch it... But i guess thats what mute is for.

6104d373-1a23-4efe-aa1c-cc63679010d4_zps716fa427-d766-42cf-a22d-90b1f8e9d39e_zps

#23 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:41 AM

Jeez!.........at last, someone who can handle himself. I wouldn't even mention Joslin and Mullen in the same breath as this guy. Come on get him in the green and blue now. It will give this lock-out disaster a silver lining for Canucks fans.

Yeh! I like him.

PS Not sure about him being an upgrade on Rome. I thought Rome was very solid for us and was a bit sad to see him leave.

Edited by Bodee, 23 November 2012 - 03:42 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#24 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,942 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

So in the middle of this crappy lockout all you give us is Jim freakin' Vandermeer?

Get lost.
Posted Image

#25 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

What's his MO? Flaws?

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#26 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

If there aren't any other better options why not. He gives us a little tougher look for games when we need it. We can swap out Ballard or Tanev when there may be need for less skill and more punching.

On the other hand, I think there are probably guys who hit a lot more than Vandermeer does, and that is really what we need from a 6/7th tough guy. There are only so many fights, but if you can paste an opposing forward a few times a game and make them worried about coming into the offensive zone... that is worth a lot more.

Of this exact ilk I would probably take Shaone Morrison over Vandermeer actually.

Edited by Provost, 28 November 2012 - 10:10 AM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#27 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,775 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

I'm not sold on the idea. It's not that I don't appreciate JV - it is that I don't see it as an optimal situation to have a guy on the 3rd pairing providing this role. I like the makeup of the Canucks blueline - I think the emphasis on mobility makes perfect sense - and I agree with Provost - would prefer to have a hard-nosed shut down guy who hits and can handle giants in front of the net whether he fights or not. A little harder to acquire, but perhaps worth it. If Vandermeer were a fourth line forward I think he'd be a better fit - as it is, I'd rather see the Canucks give up an asset/prospect/pick to get a guy like Chris Neil instead - imo it is preferable to have a depth forward providing deterrence - and if he is a skilled wrecking ball like Neil who can play third line minutes, even better. I'd pay the price in assets.

#28 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

don't know too much about the guy, but based on how he talks in that article it sounds like he has a passion and goal for playing on this team. If you have a guy thats wants to be here, chances are he is going to play well. Must be an upgrade over Rome from what I've seen at least.

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#29 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:55 AM

Kevin Connauton, Derek Joslin and Patrick Mullen are skating with the Chicago Wolves and may merit roster consideration on the back end with the loss of the skilled Sami Salo.

Connauton - Want him to develop more plus we need guys who aren't waiver eligible for call-ups.
Joslin - Please god no
Mullen - No NHL experience as a journeyman is probably not a good sign. Very small for a defenseman (5'10", 184 lbs).

Not that Vandermeer is great, but I think he's a better option than the above 3.

#30 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:01 AM

If there aren't any other better options why not. He gives us a little tougher look for games when we need it. We can swap out Ballard or Tanev when there may be need for less skill and more punching.

On the other hand, I think there are probably guys who hit a lot more than Vandermeer does, and that is really what we need from a 6/7th tough guy. There are only so many fights, but if you can paste an opposing forward a few times a game and make them worried about coming into the offensive zone... that is worth a lot more.

Of this exact ilk I would probably take Shaone Morrison over Vandermeer actually.

Morrisonn couldn't even crack Buffalo's weak defense as a depth dman and has been placed on waivers TWICE (2010-2011 season and 2011-2012 season) without ANYONE picking him up ... Also, he's under contract in the KHL and doesn't have an out clause, so he's not even an option, anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.