The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Jim Vandermeer a fit with the Canucks?

SOB for MVP

Jeez!.........at last, someone who can handle himself. I wouldn't even mention Joslin and Mullen in the same breath as this guy. Come on get him in the green and blue now. It will give this lock-out disaster a silver lining for Canucks fans.

Yeh! I like him.

PS Not sure about him being an upgrade on Rome. I thought Rome was very solid for us and was a bit sad to see him leave.

If there aren't any other better options why not. He gives us a little tougher look for games when we need it. We can swap out Ballard or Tanev when there may be need for less skill and more punching.

On the other hand, I think there are probably guys who hit a lot more than Vandermeer does, and that is really what we need from a 6/7th tough guy. There are only so many fights, but if you can paste an opposing forward a few times a game and make them worried about coming into the offensive zone... that is worth a lot more.

Of this exact ilk I would probably take Shaone Morrison over Vandermeer actually.

I'm not sold on the idea. It's not that I don't appreciate JV - it is that I don't see it as an optimal situation to have a guy on the 3rd pairing providing this role. I like the makeup of the Canucks blueline - I think the emphasis on mobility makes perfect sense - and I agree with Provost - would prefer to have a hard-nosed shut down guy who hits and can handle giants in front of the net whether he fights or not. A little harder to acquire, but perhaps worth it. If Vandermeer were a fourth line forward I think he'd be a better fit - as it is, I'd rather see the Canucks give up an asset/prospect/pick to get a guy like Chris Neil instead - imo it is preferable to have a depth forward providing deterrence - and if he is a skilled wrecking ball like Neil who can play third line minutes, even better. I'd pay the price in assets.

don't know too much about the guy, but based on how he talks in that article it sounds like he has a passion and goal for playing on this team. If you have a guy thats wants to be here, chances are he is going to play well. Must be an upgrade over Rome from what I've seen at least.

If there aren't any other better options why not. He gives us a little tougher look for games when we need it. We can swap out Ballard or Tanev when there may be need for less skill and more punching.

On the other hand, I think there are probably guys who hit a lot more than Vandermeer does, and that is really what we need from a 6/7th tough guy. There are only so many fights, but if you can paste an opposing forward a few times a game and make them worried about coming into the offensive zone... that is worth a lot more.

Of this exact ilk I would probably take Shaone Morrison over Vandermeer actually.

Vandermeer > Alberts

Alberts can lay the odd heavy hit, but he has zero edge, can't fight for sh*t, and is inconsistent with his hits. I'm always rooting for the guy, but Vandermeer is an obvious upgrade over him.

PTO at the very LEAST. I say bring him in as our 7th defenseman on a 1 year. That's assuming we don't get any D back in a Lou trade or whatever ends up happening with that ridiculous situation.

Stay away from him he would not help us in the playoffs.. Guy is to slow and a pylon he's the type of defenseman that could cause that brutal turnover or take a dumb penalty. Also during the charity game The thunder birds made him look like a snail to slow for the game I'm sure there is better options out there for toughness.

We need a big, physical shutdown stay at home defenceman, especially for our bottom-half and that is what Vandermeer is. He's also capable of playing 20+ minutes in case we have an injury to our top-4, something Ballard and Tanev weren't capable of during the last two post season runs.

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Vandermeer

Tanev

Alberts

We desperately need defensive depth, especially seeing as Alberts' size is rarely being used, and I've been saying that guys like Vandermeer or Jurcina would fill that role perfectly.

Stay away from him he would not help us in the playoffs.. Guy is to slow and a pylon he's the type of defenseman that could cause that brutal turnover or take a dumb penalty. Also during the charity game The thunder birds made him look like a snail to slow for the game I'm sure there is better options out there for toughness.

• 5 weeks later...

We need a big, physical shutdown stay at home defenceman, especially for our bottom-half and that is what Vandermeer is. He's also capable of playing 20+ minutes in case we have an injury to our top-4, something Ballard and Tanev weren't capable of during the last two post season runs.

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Vandermeer

Tanev

Alberts

We desperately need defensive depth, especially seeing as Alberts' size is rarely being used, and I've been saying that guys like Vandermeer or Jurcina would fill that role perfectly.

Archived