laxgoalie

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

Sorry if this has been posted already, couldn't find it anywhere
http://www.thehockey...-seriously.html

VANCOUVER - Cory Schneider's patience is starting to wear out.
The Vancouver Canucks goaltender said Monday he will look to play in Europe if the NHL lockout lasts much longer. Schneider plans to go home to the Boston area for American Thanksgiving and then explore his options in Switzerland, where he would be considered a domestic player because his grandfather was born there.

"It'll be another week, so we'll see if the talks have gone anywhere, and if not we'll have to open the door to that possibility again," he said Monday after skating with some of his teammates at the University of British Columbia.

Players have been locked out since the previous deal expired Sept. 15.

Schneider, who displaced Roberto Luongo as Vancouver's starter in the Stanley Cup playoffs, said a couple of Swiss clubs have expressed interest, based on his dual citizenship.

Like most of the Canucks' core players, he has waited to see how negotiations on a new collective bargaining agreement played out rather than head overseas. While some players, such as Daniel and Henrik Sedin, have chosen to stay in Vancouver because they have children in school and do not want to disrupt their routines, Schneider remained on the West Coast even though he had more flexibility.

But as the lockout period lengthens, the Marblehead, Mass., native is becoming more anxious to stay in top form by playing meaningful games rather than working out informally with his teammates.
"If the season's cancelled, then it's hugely important, because I'm at a point in my career where I can't really sit around for 18 months and not play any games," he said. "Just as an athlete and as a professional, you want to compete and do your job. If that's the only available option, then I think you have to take it pretty seriously before (the collective bargaining agreement) gets fixed."

Schneider, a member of the NHL Players Association's bargaining committee, made the comments before league and union representatives were to meet in New York City later Monday. He was glad to see the discussions being held after the NHL had proposed a two-week moratorium on talks, but he was not overly optimistic that the latest negotiations would produce meaningful results.

Noting the final version of the deal won't be much different than what's been proposed thus far, he said progress must be made "before it's too late" and a full NHL season is scrapped for the second time since 2004-05.

"It's fun being around your teammates," he said. "That's what a lot of guys miss the most, being in the locker-room, being with your friends and teammates, and having a big group like we have here makes it easier to motivate yourself and push and get better. But at the same time, I think we're all going a little mad doing these scrimmages and practices. We want to get back to competing."

Edited by laxgoalie, 19 November 2012 - 09:21 PM.

6104d373-1a23-4efe-aa1c-cc63679010d4_zps716fa427-d766-42cf-a22d-90b1f8e9d39e_zps

#2 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

I think this was posted somewhere already. Because I remember asking....

How much $ will Schneider make playing hockey in Switzerland?

#3 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,386 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

I think this was posted somewhere already. Because I remember asking....

How much $ will Schneider make playing hockey in Switzerland?

Probably next to nothing.

*usually* the players (locked-out players) going to play in European leagues make enough to cover their insurance, but not much more than that.

Edited by Squeak, 19 November 2012 - 10:41 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

Clearly showing more dedication to the game than Luongo.

I think what needs to happen is very clear.

Edit: I thought my sarcasm would be apparent, so for those who don't get it :rolleyes:

Edited by Caboose, 20 November 2012 - 08:51 AM.

Posted Image

Vintage Canuck's #1 Supporter

#5 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

Probably next to nothing.

*usually* the players (locked-out players) going to play in European leagues make enough to cover their insurance, but not much more than that.

Oh I see. Which means they should consider themselves lucky to be making millions of $ in the NHL.

#6 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,386 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

Oh I see. Which means they should consider themselves lucky to be making millions of $ in the NHL.

Yeah - that is a fair point.

Now a player that goes and plays in the Euro leagues that does NOT have a NHL contract (i.e. Tim Stapleton, Sopel etc.), will make money from playing in Europe. But not to the same degree as the NHL, and the amenities of the team are nowhere near the same.

Edited by Squeak, 19 November 2012 - 11:10 PM.

Posted Image

#7 MikeyBoy44

MikeyBoy44

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

Is it really that clear, or are we just looking for reasons for it to be that clear?
Posted Image

#8 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

Is it really that clear, or are we just looking for reasons for it to be that clear?

Using that same logic, we should trade the twins and give Weise their ice time.
Posted Image

#9 nuckZ#1

nuckZ#1

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:03 AM

Why would a veteran and proven goaltender leave his family which includes 2 children to play in Europe with the possibility of there still being an NHL season...

CANUCKS!!

#10 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,812 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:11 AM

If I'm not mistaken Luongo has a family and kids. Not the best thing for a father to do is pack up and leave them to go play hockey. Schnieder has a lot more flexibity in playing oversea's, he doesn't have kids or anything as far as I'm aware. And may I just point out the Sedins are staying put at the moment, do they not have dedication then.....

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#11 Qanux

Qanux

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:16 AM

I can see the article title now: "LUON-GONE". Kudos to the franchise record holder in total wins, wins per season, season winning percentage, shutout streak, total shutouts, shutouts per season, and the most accomplished goalie that this franchise ever had.

#12 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:09 AM

Cory still has a lot to prove, I could see why he would want to stay focused. Luongo on the other hand has nothing left to prove to the sell out fans of Vancouver. I wish him the best, hope he gets moved very soon so he doesn't have to deal with some of you.

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#13 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:35 AM

I'll be in Switzerland for a bit in December/January. Would be sweet to catch one of his games if this is all underway by then.

#14 Max-a-Million

Max-a-Million

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

Yes, lucky to be making millions in the NHL, when they aren't locked out by the billionaire owners. Both sides are making nothing right now. I wonder how hard it is to decide how to split nothing! They are in the entertainment business and they are fools.

I spend half my money on Wine, Women and Song.
The other half I waste!

#15 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

Why would a veteran and proven goaltender leave his family which includes 2 children to play in Europe with the possibility of there still being an NHL season...

Right like his family lives in Vancouver, the city he plays for? The flight time from Vancouver to Florida is seven hrs, the flight time from Florida to Europe is nine hrs. And as far as a proven goalie, he has proven a lot but mostly things he has not wanted to. It's time for him to get his sorry but on a plane to Europe and work on his game.

On another note it's a little troubling that Cory who is part of the negotiations is looking at the option of playing in Europe. Looks like he thinks there will not be a season:(

#16 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

I can see the article title now: "LUON-GONE". Kudos to the franchise record holder in total wins, wins per season, season winning percentage, shutout streak, total shutouts, shutouts per season, and the most accomplished goalie that this franchise ever had.

No it will be Lou-gone-go.

Edited by Nino, 20 November 2012 - 08:22 AM.

#17 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,979 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

Old News.

307mg00.jpg

#18 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

My bet is Schneider will play somewhere this season and Lu will not. Seems Schneider wants to do everything he can to be the best he can, and playing somewhere is better than not playing at all.
Lu was was almost the same age as Schneider is now during the last lockout, and not married nor had children in 2004 and did not play during the last lockout.
After the last lockout Lu had his worst statistical season by a large margin at age 25, so the longer he goes without playing the worse he will probably start,
Lu may possibly give Full Tilt Poker a try in his off time, so all is not lost.

#19 skates_with_a_stick

skates_with_a_stick

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

If Schneider goes to Switzerland, I will do my best to watch him play. Wish I was earning Swiss Francs.

#20 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

Schneids is probably one of the guys on the team that would benefit most from going to Europe. It would get him back into "starter" mode after having to sit behind Luongo for the last 2 seasons.

#21 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

He already said this, but he should do it.
Posted Image

#22 nuckZ#1

nuckZ#1

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

Right like his family lives in Vancouver, the city he plays for? The flight time from Vancouver to Florida is seven hrs, the flight time from Florida to Europe is nine hrs. And as far as a proven goalie, he has proven a lot but mostly things he has not wanted to. It's time for him to get his sorry but on a plane to Europe and work on his game.

On another note it's a little troubling that Cory who is part of the negotiations is looking at the option of playing in Europe. Looks like he thinks there will not be a season:(

His family lives in Vancouver with him during the season, meaning there with him all year round. As for what he's proven, lets not go there.

CANUCKS!!

#23 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

His family lives in Vancouver with him during the season, meaning there with him all year round. As for what he's proven, lets not go there.

Just so you know his family lives in Florida, his wife refused to move here when he was traded. He visits his family in Florida when the team breaks and rumor has it that all of Lou they care to have around (ps. I'm starting that rumor). What made you think his family lives in Vancouver?

#24 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

I hope he does go, and gets injured.

#25 nuckZ#1

nuckZ#1

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:01 AM

Just so you know his family lives in Florida, his wife refused to move here when he was traded. He visits his family in Florida when the team breaks and rumor has it that all of Lou they care to have around (ps. I'm starting that rumor). What made you think his family lives in Vancouver?

His wife refused to move here? LOL. The only time she was reported to be in florida was when she was about to give birth to their first child so she could get help from her family with the newborn considering Luongo would have games on the road. Also, her wife along with other wives of Canucks players have helped out the Canucks with many charity functions such as the Canucks Telethon.

Getting back on topic, I think it would be a very good idea for Schneider to go and play in Europe considering he hasn't played as the role of a starter for a couple years now and this would probably help him ease into that phase of starting every couple nights or so.

CANUCKS!!

#26 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,817 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

He should have gone two months ago, it's quite obvious there won't be any NHL hockey this season and maybe next season as well. These guys are just too far apart with neither willing to budge.

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#27 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:53 AM

Edit: I thought my sarcasm would be apparent, so for those who don't get it :rolleyes:

And I thought my sarcasm would be apparent, but it appears you didn't get it. :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#28 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:28 AM

Looks like it might have happened:

Janne Virtanen@Amateur_hockey

#Canucks goalie Cory Schneider signs with Ambri-Piotta in Switzerland #NHL #NHLLockout

Szymon Szemberg@Sz1909_Szemberg

Swiss village club Ambri-Piotta announce signing of Canucks' G Corey Schneider, a CAN-SUI dual citizen. He may play already this weekend.

Sorry, Corey Schneider is a US-SUI dual, not CAN. Still, signed with Swiss HC Ambri-Piotta, may play already next week.

This is of course a huge signing for Ambri-Piotta as with Schneider's Swiss passport Ambri's 4 imports can all still play. 4 is the quota.

Sounds like this was the team Pachioretty left?

Edited by RunningWild, 28 November 2012 - 03:47 AM.

#29 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:07 AM

Way to go Cory, glad to hear he is trying to stay on top of his game. See you next year. :(

#30 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

He needs some game action. It will be good for him.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.