Morgan Clark

Taylor Ellington

Dan Gendur

Michael Grabner

Evan Fuller

Matt Butcher

Andrew Sarauer

David Schulz

Over the previous 5 drafts out of the WHL/BCHL, would you keep going back to that well? I certainly wouldn't ...

I wanted the Canucks to draft Henrik Samuelsson out of the WHL, but now that I've gotten to know what kind of player Gaunce is, I realize they made the right choice.

He's the hard working two way center that we'll need in the future. And he's a natural born leader.

And the reality is, the OHL is still the top junior league in the world. They produce alot more NHLers than any junior league in the world. So the liklihood of there being a better OHL player wherever you're selecting in the draft is pretty high.

The OHL has been pretty good to the Canucks in the last few drafts, so I don't know why people would complain.

doesn't matter, take the best player available. Drafting players is always a risk anyways, I mean there have been late round picks that have become top 6 players, and top round picks who have had a lot of hype but not delivered. Draft is always a tricky thing to do, and you have got to give credit to our scouting even though a lot of people say they aren't good.

Edler, Kesler, Schnieder, Bieksa, Sedins, etc. all drafted by the Canucks, we can't have THAT bad of a scouting team if we were able to get those guys, not to mention the later pick in Hansen.

If your scouts had turned up recommendations like:

Prab Rai (5th round)

Morgan Clark (7th round)

Taylor Ellington (2nd round - clear mistake)

Dan Gendur (7th round)

Michael Grabner (1st round - good player that we clearly should not have given up on)

Evan Fuller (7th round)

Matt Butcher (5th round)

Andrew Sarauer (4th round)

David Schulz (8th round)

Over the previous 5 drafts out of the WHL/BCHL, would you keep going back to that well? I certainly wouldn't ...

Even better than this would be to go through the draft and see what could have been done better. Who could the Canucks have gotten from the WHL that was better than what he got? I'd be more interested to see what people thought about that.

I mean obviously there are players that outperform their draft position so one would hope people would take that into consideration. Pretend it's draft day of each year...who do you pick that was still available instead of the choices made by the Canucks team.

Clearly the Canucks aren't anti-WHL; and to suggest that is a little ridiculous. They simply haven't drafted much out of it.

Even better than this would be to go through the draft and see what could have been done better. Who could the Canucks have gotten from the WHL that was better than what he got? I'd be more interested to see what people thought about that.

I mean obviously there are players that outperform their draft position so one would hope people would take that into consideration. Pretend it's draft day of each year...who do you pick that was still available instead of the choices made by the Canucks team.

Clearly the Canucks aren't anti-WHL; and to suggest that is a little ridiculous. They simply haven't drafted much out of it.

Seriously though, Dan Russel has mentioned this countless times. The Canucks need defensemen and the Kelowna Rockets are a "defensemen factory" (Russel's term).

I know Edler is a WHL guy and from the Rockets, but why the hell dont the Canucks draft more of these guys? Forwards and D-men. We have missed out on a lot of really good players.

I would like to draft some local players. If it's a close call I would probably lean towards the BC boy, a Vancouver team sporting Vancouver players has a certain pride and nostalgia to it. I like a team that shows loyalty to it's draft picks and home town boys, players seem to return the favor too when contract time comes around. Having a Vancouver born player as captain would be pretty cool, especially if the team went out of it's way to draft him. It's not like we are some random wasteland where talent is few and far between. Obviously im not saying to pass on a much better player because he's foreign, but if it's a toss up, and/or in a later round then look in your own back yard.

Archived