The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Canucks: Anti-WHL?

King of the ES

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing is us picking up some Giant players with our later picks.

When it comes to the 4th or 5th round and later, why not pick a guy who already has fans in the city, and still has time to develop with Don Hay.

Its sad to see hometown favourites like Gallagher (5th round), Tvrdon (4th round), and Kulak (4th round), go by the wayside then develop into players who look like they were a steal at that point of the draft.

The Vancouver Canucks have not selected a single WHL player in the draft since 2008, when they selected Prabh Rai and Morgan Clark in the 5th and 7th rounds.

The WHL is known for its different brand of hockey vis-a-vis the OHL and the QMJHL; notably, it's a lot grittier, a lot tougher, a lot more "old time". Not surprisingly, these are characteristics missing from Canuck teams of late.

Too much GM & Coach Eastern influence? Why are they avoiding the WHL?

Yip; look at Ballard? :P

AV generally finds the right roles for guys relative to their skills and roles the team needs. For example he knew how to use Hodgson but he's not going to replace Hank... (Who is an even better example of putting someone in the right role?). That list has always rewarded your glue guys like Burrows, Hansen, Rypien and Kesler is a more talented version.

D factory? The Canucks have done a nice job of developing Bieksa and Edler who have both handsomely exceeded their draft expectations, Edler making the team ahead of a more acclaimed 1st round pick on D, Bourdon. Looking at history, even guys like Ohlund have ultimately just been effective journeyman who helped our team but did not carry it. Hamhuis and Edler, IMO are probably the best D we have had in the last twenty years (very possible to argue Ohlund over Edler, but there is an extra allure of offensive potential). But where we have Andersson and Connauton (debate ably) and Tanev as a recalmation project all coming along nicely, we also have Ballard, Joslin and Gragnani mowing the lawn outside the factory... and not yet have we ever even seen that true blue chip stud who could actually carry our team (Weber, Doughty, Niedermyer). We're OK, but factory is too generous!

Vancouver is considered a d-man factory in the nhl. Since we take crappy d-men (errorhoff) and make them good.

Didn't gillis ask Cannauton to leave college and cone to the giants who owned is rights?

That shows that Gillis values the dub over sone NCAA conferences and shows that the Canucks are not really anti-whl

The whole not drafting Russians? I think is very smart. The idiot Nonis, traded away lots of picks and used the majority of the rest to draft Russians who turned out ok but would not stay in north amaerica- kublikov, shirokov, koltsov...

Gillis did manage to convince shirokov to come over but drafting Russians is a risk.

Gillis does make some odd picks- Mallet, Honzik, Sauve come to mind but I think in 2 yrs we can make a better judgement in his drafting record.

Tanev

Jensen

Kassian

Cannaton

Lack

should all join the team by then, so it could be impressive or some of these guys could flop.

I am aware Tanev and Lack were signed not drafted.

I am still baffled at times about our prospect management and selection

Whey did Froshaug not come to NA or to any training camps?

Where is That Finnish goalie who was supposed to play got the giants last year? Ilathaji?

Whatever

I think we should take one Kelowna Rocket defenseman every year.

All former Kelowna rockets. We can't do any worse with drafting defenseman. The Canucks have drafted only two NHL defenseman in the last 14 years and one of them happened to be a Kelowna Rocket.

I have to agree somewhat. Although I don't really know what they are doing it appears they are trying to outsmart everyone and use our heavily weighted European scouting influence and then draft college players. I think taking some WHL players instead of these college guys would be wiser. Smarts only count for so much in hockey and WHL guys have so much more character than College players, plus they play more games, against better competition.

And King, Grabner sucks, really? Why do you like these guys that can't play defence to save their lives? Is it because you don't get (negative) points for defence and you can't google that? Not going to rehash that argument though, we've done it to death.

K.Conn Played for the Giants for a year. Or was it just a figment of my imagination. Tie goes to the runner.

I think we need to find the late round utility player from the Dub. The Canucks haven't done a very good job of that.

Archived