The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dirtiest Player Ever

RUPERTKBD

Dirtiest Player  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"Marchment has been suspended for deliberate attempts to injure other players numerous times throughout his playing career. He was suspended 13 times by the league in his first 12 NHL seasons and his hits were blamed for injuries suffered by Mike Modano, Joe Nieuwendyk, Greg Adams, Mike Gartner, Kevin Dineen, Peter Zezel, Pavel Bure, Sami Salo, Paul Kariya, Wendel Clark and Martin Ručínský. On February 3, 1995, while the Toronto Maple Leafs were visiting Marchment's Oilers, a hit by Marchment partially collapsed one of Gartner's lungs; the severely injured Gartner had to return to Toronto by train.

Marchment always stuck in my mind as someone who was out to injure the other team's best players. Just look at the list of names mentioned above. His hits were always like a high-speed stealth attack. His victims rarely even knew he was coming.

Simon was certainly dirty, but his deeds seemed to be more of a retaliatory nature. He gets checked hard, so he swings back etc.

Carcillo has potential. I think it's just a matter of time before he ends someone's career.

"Marchment has been suspended for deliberate attempts to injure other players numerous times throughout his playing career. He was suspended 13 times by the league in his first 12 NHL seasons and his hits were blamed for injuries suffered by Mike Modano, Joe Nieuwendyk, Greg Adams, Mike Gartner, Kevin Dineen, Peter Zezel, Pavel Bure, Sami Salo, Paul Kariya, Wendel Clark and Martin Ručínský. On February 3, 1995, while the Toronto Maple Leafs were visiting Marchment's Oilers, a hit by Marchment partially collapsed one of Gartner's lungs; the severely injured Gartner had to return to Toronto by train.

Marchment always stuck in my mind as someone who was out to injure the other team's best players. Just look at the list of names mentioned above. His hits were always like a high-speed stealth attack. His victims rarely even knew he was coming.

Simon was certainly dirty, but his deeds seemed to be more of a retaliatory nature. He gets checked hard, so he swings back etc.

Carcillo has potential. I think it's just a matter of time before he ends someone's career.

I agree with many choices, so I'll add a few that seem conspicuous by their absence

Glen Anderson one of the most vicious stick men ever

Ron Hextall

Chris Chelios (anyone who recalls Hextalls 89 attack on Chelios knows why he did it)

Craig Luwig could have made a living as a lumberjack

Dale Hunter

Derion Hatcher

Boris Mikhilov how dirty do you have to be to have Phil Esposito, Gary Bergman and Yvon Cournvyer wanting to fight you

Petr Svoboda king of the slew foot

I don't generally consider the "Enforcers" dirty as they rarely are trying to hurt star players, dirty players IMO are the cheap shot artists who try to injure players, often with the stick or with dirty hits (from behind or at the knees or head).

I hereby withhold my vote and instead offer the title to Chris Pronger.

Even though he's always been one of the best D-men on the ice during his career, come playoffs time he resorts to throwing out his elbows at opposing players' heads like he's a giant chicken taking flight, and it's a shame - a damn dirty shame.

Enjoy that well-earned concussion, Chris - you've always been so generous handing out the pain, some of it was bound to come back around sooner or later...

Archived