Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Presenting Hizzoner Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

#31 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

And tomorrow at 7:30am PST the decision comes down from the three judge panel - here are five possible outcomes:

Tomorrow is judgment day for Toronto Mayor Rob Ford.

After a tumultuous two years in office and a court challenge to his leadership that began 10 months ago, Ford and the rest of the city will find out at 10:30 a.m. ET Friday whether he can keep his job.

Here are five possible outcomes for Canada's most well known mayor:

Outcome 1: Ford keeps his job

Ford is appealing a judicial order to remove him from office after Ontario Superior Court Justice Charles T. Hackland ruled in November that he had violated conflict-of-interest rules during a council vote last year.

A three-judge panel of the Ontario Divisional Court heard the appeal, during which Ford's lawyer, Alan Lenczner, argued that forcing Ford to relinquish the Toronto mayoralty is a "draconian" punishment for an honest error in judgment in his interpretation of conflict-of-interest rules.

Lenczner argued that the mayor misinterpreted the law when he voted in favour of a council motion that would have absolved him from an earlier council directive to repay $3,150 in donations made by lobbyists to his football charity.

The panel could side with Lenczner, overturn the decision, and secure Ford's job until the next election in the fall of 2014.

Outcome 2: The case is sent back for a new trial

A little-discussed outcome, but possible according the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act, is that the court could send the case back for a new trial, resetting the process to square one.

Outcome 3: Ford loses his job, council appoints a replacement

If the appeal panel upholds Hackland's decision, Ford will be forced to vacate his seat and city councillors will have three ways forward: appoint a new mayor, re-appoint Ford, or call a byelection. Their next scheduled meeting is Feb. 20, though a special meeting could be convened sooner.

Coun. Adam Vaughan, a frequent critic of the mayor, has said that the public may need to look to someone new to take the lead at city hall.

"While the mayor has been eager to sort of play out his political career in the court chamber, we actually need him in the council chamber," he said. "And if we can’t get him, it's probably time for Toronto to look towards stronger leadership from somebody else."

The replacement could be a councillor or a citizen of the city, needing a 23-vote majority of council.

However, CBC reporter Jamie Strashin said this option does not seem likely, based on his discussions with councillors at City Hall, including Coun. Janet Davis.

"I have concern about an appointment process," she said. "I think that the back hall arm-twisting and deal making will start, because any councillor who wants to be an interim mayor through appointment will be looking for 23 votes."

Option 4: Ford loses his job, council re-appoints him

Council could decide to simply put Ford back in the mayor's chair.

Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday is a Ford ally who is considered a prime candidate to be voted to the chair through appointment, but he'd prefer council give it back to Ford.

"I think it's a matter of justice and fairness and if councillors will set politics aside for a moment, I think that they will see what I’m talking about it," Holyday has said. "The fact is the judge said that the law is a blunt instrument in this case, which means that the penalty doesn’t fit what’s happened. It’s far too severe."

Holyday said two weeks ago that he thinks 12 to 15 councillors would vote to a reappoint Ford, but he would have to round up 23 votes in order to secure a majority that would allow for Ford to be reappointed.

Option 5: The city goes to the polls

Council could also decide to hold a byelection.

The mayor's brother and political ally, Coun. Doug Ford, said at the time of the appeal that a byelection should be called to let voters decide the issue — a contest that would cost the city millions of dollars.

"What price do you put on democracy?" Doug Ford has said.

The mayor has said he would run in any byelection. Potential opponents bandied about by the media and other political watchers have included councillors Adam Vaughan, Shelley Carroll, Denzil Minnan-Wong and Karen Stintz, as well as Trinity-Spadina MP Olivia Chow.

"We believe in democracy, that the people elect our leaders," Doug Ford said in early January. "Judges do not elect our leaders and we’re going to bring it to the people if this appeal doesn’t go through and that's it, folks."

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/5-possible-outcomes-for-rob-ford
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#32 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

And the decision is in...

Hizzonner Rob Ford lives... verdict overturned on appeal.

http://www.ontarioco...013ONSC0263.htm

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#33 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

Hizzonner is not out of the woods yet. A forensic audit of his campaign financial practices is expected to be released next week. If the audit finds violations of elections law, Ford faces possible penalties that include fines and, once more, removal from office.

Even if Mayor Rob Ford wins his conflict of interest appeal this winter, he may still face serious legal trouble: the long-awaited audit of his campaign financial practices will be released in January, the lead auditor said Friday.

The auditor, Bruce Armstrong of Froese Forensic Partners, would not reveal anything about his conclusions.

If Armstrong finds that Ford violated the Municipal Elections Act, the city’s compliance audit committee, composed of three experts in elections law, could either do nothing or pursue the possibility of non-criminal charges. Ford would face potential penalties including a fine of up to $25,000, removal from office, and — highly unlikely — prison time.

http://www.thestar.c...ming-in-january

The long-running soap opera "As the Ford Turns" continues.

#34 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Here is an image burned into my mind that is going to drive me to drink copious amounts of alcohol according to what Hizzonner's brother Councillor Doug Ford said happened when the news of the appeal win came down.

The moment they received the decision, “we jumped up and I gave him a big hug. Handshakes all around,” Councillor Ford said.

Truly scary,eh?

Posted Image

And in related news Earthquakes Canada (a division of Natural Resources Canada) reported a strong tremor with an epicentre near Toronto City Hall at approximately 1030 hours (ET) detected by the Canadian National Seismograph Network.

Edited by Wetcoaster, 25 January 2013 - 11:56 AM.

#35 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,869 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

THE BEST OF ROB FORD:

Rob Ford on...

...public health:

"If you are not doing needles and you are not gay, you wouldn't get AIDS probably, that's bottom line... those are the facts."

...urban planning:

"What I compare bike lanes to is swimming with the sharks. Sooner or later you're going to get bitten... Roads are built for buses, cars, and trucks, not for people on bikes. My heart bleeds for them when I hear someone gets killed, but it's their own fault at the end of the day."

...immigration:

"Those Oriental people work like dogs. They work their hearts out. They are workers non-stop. They sleep beside their machines. That's why they're successful in life. I went to Seoul, South Korea, I went to Taipei, Taiwan. I went to Tokyo, Japan. That's why these people are so hard workers [sic]. I'm telling you, the Oriental people, they're slowly taking over."

...diversity:

"I don't understand. Number one, I don't understand a transgender. I don't understand. Is it a guy dressed up like a girl, or a girl dressed up like a guy? And we're funding this for -– I don't know, what does it say here –- we're giving them $3,210?"

...procuring Oxycontin:

"I'll try, buddy, I'll try. I don't know this crap [Oxycontin], but I'll ???? try to find it. Why don't you go on the street and score it? frack, you know, I don't know any drug dealers at all."

...being asked to be quiet at a Maple Leafs game:

"Are you some kind of right-wing commie bastard?... Do you want your little wife to go over to Iran and get raped and shot?... Green party ???? rules."

http://gawker.com/59...dium=socialflow

Edited by Down by the River, 25 January 2013 - 12:08 PM.

Shiznak at his best: 

Considering their cap hit and age, I'd still take Bonino over Kesler. 

#36 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

THE BEST OF ROB FORD:

Rob Ford on...

...public health:

"If you are not doing needles and you are not gay, you wouldn't get AIDS probably, that's bottom line... those are the facts."

...urban planning:

"What I compare bike lanes to is swimming with the sharks. Sooner or later you're going to get bitten... Roads are built for buses, cars, and trucks, not for people on bikes. My heart bleeds for them when I hear someone gets killed, but it's their own fault at the end of the day."

...immigration:

"Those Oriental people work like dogs. They work their hearts out. They are workers non-stop. They sleep beside their machines. That's why they're successful in life. I went to Seoul, South Korea, I went to Taipei, Taiwan. I went to Tokyo, Japan. That's why these people are so hard workers [sic]. I'm telling you, the Oriental people, they're slowly taking over."

...diversity:

"I don't understand. Number one, I don't understand a transgender. I don't understand. Is it a guy dressed up like a girl, or a girl dressed up like a guy? And we're funding this for -– I don't know, what does it say here –- we're giving them $3,210?"

...procuring Oxycontin:

"I'll try, buddy, I'll try. I don't know this crap [Oxycontin], but I'll ???? try to find it. Why don't you go on the street and score it? frack, you know, I don't know any drug dealers at all."

"Are you some kind of right-wing commie bastard?... Do you want your little wife to go over to Iran and get raped and shot?... Green party ???? rules."

Poor Mayor Moonbeam - he just cannot compete with such profundity.

That is why TO is the "Centre of the Universe" and Vancouver just floats out on the periphery.

#37 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,563 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#38 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ford initially denied that he acted in that way and even claimed he was not at the game in question. That did not work out so well. When all else fails - tell the truth, eh?

"This is unbelievable," he told the Star. "I wasn't even at the game, so someone's trying to do a real hatchet job on me, let me tell you."

But Tuesday, Ford made a 180-degree turn, admitting he had lied about the incident and apologizing for his behaviour at the hockey game.

"I reflected on it last night, and talked to my family. I came forward and admitted it. That's all I can do. I mean, I'm not perfect," said Ford.

"Being in politics, you're in the spotlight all the time. I made a mistake. I made a major mistake. I really regret it."

Here is another report of the incident:

An "embarrassed and humiliated" Councillor Rob Ford has apologized for causing a drunken, expletive-laced disturbance at a recent Leafs game.

Ford said yesterday he was drafting a formal letter of apology to send to Dan and Rebecca Hope, who wrote a 2 1/2-page letter to city clerk Ulli Watkiss, outlining the events they say happened at the Air Canada Centre.

When first confronted with the couple's allegations Monday, Ford said he was being slandered. In an interview with the Toronto Star, he denied he was even at the April 15 game where the Maple Leafs beat archrivals the Ottawa Senators.

Yesterday, Ford, who looked down as he spoke to reporters, said he had lied because he was "completely embarrassed and humiliated about the whole situation."

He said he decided to come clean after reading the couple's complaint letter and reflecting on it.

"After I read it, I brought it home. I discussed it with my family and the right thing to do is to admit it. Be a man about it, and go down and face the music. I'm not one to run and hide. I'm here facing the music today."

Ford, a season ticket holder, said he had been out to dinner with his wife, and had "one too many beers" before attending the game.

"I'm going through a few personal problems, but it doesn't justify, you know, getting drunk in public and pretty well acting like an idiot if you ask me."

The Hopes, of Enniskillen in Durham Region, said their night out in Toronto was ruined by a man with his shouting and tirades such as "You right-wing communist bastards and" and "Green party f---ing rules."

Their complaint has been forwarded to the city's integrity commissioner, David Mullan, who will decide whether to investigate.

Ford said he doesn't remember making the comments but "again, I was inebriated. I'm not a heavy drinker at all. I guess it hit me pretty hard and it was an unfortunate situation."

The Hopes said they were pleased to hear Ford has admitted to his bad behaviour.

"I couldn't believe he didn't confess immediately, " said Dan Hope. "We would look forward to receiving a personal apology from Mr. Ford."

Mullan sent them an email yesterday saying he would look into the matter when he returns to the office today.

"I would be extremely disappointed if he didn't pursue it, " said Hope. "It's the public who elected these officials, and (Ford) could not handle himself in public. I'll push the matter to council if I have to."

The Hopes said they took some time before deciding to send the letter to the city, and if they had to do it over again, they would.

"I would do it again in a second tomorrow. I was speaking on behalf of the 30 or 40 people who were sitting in our section."

The two-term councillor, first elected in 2000 to represent Ward 2, Etobicoke North, said he is still considering making a run for mayor in the Nov. 13 municipal elections.

So far, Mayor David Miller is facing a challenge from Councillor Jane Pitfield.

"I don't know if Jane's strong enough, " he said. "I think someone has to debate Mayor Miller one-on-one. I think I would be the person who could debate him the best."

If Ford seeks re-election in his own ward, he does not have any competition at this point. In the 2003 election, he won 79 per cent of the vote.

Ford said he can't stop his political opponents from trying to capitalize on the incident, but he doesn't believe it has any connection to his role as a city councillor.

"I don't think it has anything to do with my job or politics. This was a private situation in my private life on private time. I'm going to carry on and keep doing my job that I do at city hall."

After the apology, Miller said it was "important" that Ford had said he was sorry, acknowledging his behaviour was "completely inappropriate."

"As an elected official, I take my position very seriously. I'm sure he (does) the same. I think it's important to acknowledge when you've done wrong, " Miller said.

http://www.thestar.c...t-at-leafs-game

#39 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,869 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

"After I read it, I brought it home. I discussed it with my family and the right thing to do is to admit it. Be a man about it, and go down and face the music. I'm not one to run and hide. I'm here facing the music today."

He flat out lied, I'd call that running, he just had nowhere to hide.

I don't think there is room on this planet for Rob Ford's ego, as well as his gut, to hide, as hard as he might try.

Shiznak at his best: 

#40 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

What a dirtbag ..they say you get the elected officials you deserve .. oh Toronto, you poor suffering bustards .. :picard:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#41 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

The forensic audit of Rob Ford's campaign spending has been completed and found that he breached the spending rules and numerous other violations during his 2010 mayoral campaign under the the Municipal Elections Act.

He could face prosecution (likely by a Special Prosecutor) and possible penalties include fines and (surprise) being removed from office.

"In our opinion, the candidate's campaign expenses ... exceeded the authorized limit by $40,168," said the report from the three-person audit panel.

It means Ford is in an apparent contravention of the Municipal Elections Act.

Ford ran a $1.3 million campaign — but was challenged over money loaned to his campaign by his family company, Deco Labels.

The auditors found that the $77,000 loaned by Deco broke the rules because the campaign did not pay interest on the loan.

The audit also found a number of other violations of the Act.

A special prosecutor may now be brought in to sort through the audit findings and decide if further action needs to be taken.

Ford could face penalties ranging from a fine all the way to being removed from office — though most political observers say that is unlikely.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ing-report.html

#42 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Hizzonner is seeking an order that Paul Magder be responsible for his legal costs.

And his bro is demanding that the the city's integrity commissioner to step down or apologize.

Mayor Rob Ford's lawyer says the man who brought the conflict-of-interest case against him should have to cover about $120,000 in legal costs.

The mayor's legal team has filed documents with the divisional court, and if the court rules in his favour, Paul Magder, will have to be responsible for the costs.

This comes as Toronto Coun. Doug Ford, called on the city's integrity commissioner to step down or apologize to his brother over the conflict-of-interest case.

Coun. Ford says Janet Leiper's initial report on Mayor Ford's conflict-of-interest case triggered a chain of events that almost forced the mayor out of office.

“Because of her decision, it ended up causing major hurt, not only to Rob and his family, but most of all to the city,” said Ford. “It was unstable there for a month or so because of her decision and I don’t see any apology.”

In November a divisional court ruling ordered Rob Ford removed from office for voting on a council motion that would have allowed the mayor to avoid repaying $3,150 in donations to his football charity.

An appeal court overturned that ruling in January. A three-judge panel agreed with arguments made by Ford’s lawyers that council never had the power to compel the mayor to pay back the donations.

On Thursday, Leiper told council she never sought legal advice before demanding Mayor Ford repay the money.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2013/02/22/toronto-doug-ford-leiper.html

#43 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,869 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

Some more gold from Rob Ford:

Here he is, walking into a camera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rP4yd-ysqZs

An oldie, but a goody:

Posted Image

Edited by Down by the River, 16 April 2013 - 10:59 AM.

Shiznak at his best: 

#44 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

Some more gold from Rob Ford:

Here he is, walking into a camera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rP4yd-ysqZs

That was not Rob Ford. he was not there and it did not happen... oh wait there is evidence - okay so his bro Dougie says

Pretty clearly Mayor Rob Ford was attacked by a left wing camera wielding gravy trainer, amirite!!!

At least seems to be his current version of events.

Mayor Rob Ford collided with a CityNews camera during a scrum at city hall Monday.

He bumped into the camera while speaking to reporters about the casino debate. The cameraman was pinned against a wall and could not move.

“Ah, f— man. Holy Christ,” Ford swore after he hit his head.

“Holy. Have some respect. You just hit me in the face with a camera.”

Ford was leaving the executive committee meeting and looking down when he bumped into the camera. A group of reporters and photographers were walking backwards in front of the mayor, while others were following him.

The mayor was given an ice pack after the injury.

http://www.citynews....ity-hall-scrum/

Interesting fantasy world that Mayor Rob Ford inhabits, eh?

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.