The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Will Obama's Legacy Be?

Tearloch7

:picard:Click This Bud

If they stop fueling for war, then they would have money to pay off some of the debt, and it would be a great step in the right direction. No one wants to fight these wars and people are becoming increasingly sick of them.

If the US was going to spend imaginary money on anything, it should have been investments.

They could have easily decided to stimulate the economy rather than spend it on power and control.

The US is fighting wars that don't need to be fought, and they're wasting way to much money on this. If I was American, I wouldn't be okay with having a flag drenched in blood.

What we as people need to do is stop worrying about what will make us the quickest dollar and actually focus on fixing the issues that we're stimulating. As long as humanity is a closed-minded, egotistical, selfish race; we will always be a cancerous bacteria. Just as mold to a sandwich, we're humans to an Earth.

Fixing the issue in this case is not to "stimulate the economy", it's to stop using stimulus to keep the US economy at artificial levels, and take a necessary recession (the recession late last decade was mitigated by massive stimulus which didn't fix the problem but exacerbate it) due to so many years of reckless spending to pay off debts. Having a normal economy and spending within one's means is a fix for awful fiscal policy, and repercussions need to be met for so many years of using the US government/Fed credit card.

As I type this, Bernanke is about to inject currency and provide a near trillion dollar stimulus, which is another massive amount of debt to pretend the US economy is doing a-ok. As time goes on stimulus is having a lessening effect, which means the US will have to eat an economic crash or spend itself to the eyeballs into debt for this facade. Stimulus is supposed to be a temporary measure, much like the Bush tax cuts, but this has been used perpetually since Bush's second term. I have no faith the US has any resolve to fix it's fiscal problems before it's debt liabilities soon surpass SS/Medicare. Cutting defence spending (i.e. including war costs) will only slightly help. The fix for this problem is something the US refuses to do which is massively cut spending.

Obama's legacy (I just realised I can't even read the OP so going by the title :lol:) depends on which world one prefers to live in. In the real world, he's a fiscal Bush clone on steroids who has dangerously put the US in a significantly closer position of annihilating it's worldwide credit, losing status as reserve currency, steps closer to insolvency, and yet somehow being worldwide cowboy who should romp around the world spreading freedom and dictating to governments on the other side of the planet how they should act within their own country. For the Obama fanatics, it's still Bush's fault, and the cult of personality effect continues.

Do you realize that attempting to make silly correlations to communism with Obama actually detracts from any argument you think you're trying to make? It undermines both your credibility and the perception of your understanding of politics.

IMO, the current state of the USA is akin to a boat with a big old hole in it's hull.

The government is furiously attempting to bail water and ditch cargo in an attempt to make it back to port. It may or may not work but you're losing a LOT along the way. What they probably should be doing is running the boat aground on that nearby little island, unload the cargo and repair/rebuild the one they have. It won't be easy and there'll be some hard days on that island but it beats going under trying to make it back to port.

IMO, the current state of the USA is akin to a boat with a big old hole in it's hull.

The government is furiously attempting to bail water and ditch cargo in an attempt to make it back to port. It may or may not work but you're losing a LOT along the way. What they probably should be doing is running the boat aground on that nearby little island, unload the cargo and repair/rebuild the one they have. It won't be easy and there'll be some hard days on that island but it beats going under trying to make it back to port.

Archived