#1 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

China arrests blogger for Twitter joke

Internet petition for Chinese blogger arrested after posting Twitter joke about Communist leadership congress

Posted Image
China has arrested a Beijing blogger for joking on Twitter about the 18th Communist party congress, suggesting a horror movie scenario involving the Great Hall of the People (pictured) collapsing on delegates.

Chinese internet users are rallying around a Beijing blogger detained by police after posting a joke on Twitter about the pivotal Communist Party congress.

Chinese authorities have been especially sensitive to dissent about the party meeting, which last week ushered in a new generation of leaders. Activists were sent out of Beijing beforehand, and police rounded up hundreds of people who tried to draw the central authorities' attention to grievances against local governments.

Zhai Xiaobing's tweet on 5 November suggested that the next "movie" in the "Final Destination" horror franchise would be about the Great Hall of the People collapsing on party delegates.
He tweeted: "An earthshaking debut will be seen at the global premiere on Nov 8!" The congress began on 8 November.

After Zhai's Twitter account fell silent for a few days, a friend of his, Liu Yanping, grew worried and visited his home in Miyun county in Beijing's north-eastern suburbs. Family members there told her that Miyun county police had taken Zhai away on 7 November and seized his computer, Liu said.
A Miyun county police officer who would only give his surname, Sun, told the Associated Press on Wednesday that Zhai was being investigated for "spreading terrorist information". The charge carries a maximum penalty of five years' imprisonment.

Zhai's supporters say the allegation is absurd and more than 400 people have signed an online petition calling on police to release him – and to have more of a sense of humour.
"I was very shocked when I realised what happened to him. I've consulted a few lawyers and I feel that it's clear his Twitter joke does not amount to spreading terrorist information," Liu said. "It's just preposterous."

Liu said she and a few other activists have been in touch with Zhai's family and would help hire a lawyer. She said state security officials had visited Zhai's wife to warn her to keep a low profile.
Zhai's wife, when reached by phone, declined to comment on her husband's situation.
The online petition, written by the outspoken blogger and free-speech advocate Wen Yunchao, urges the authorities to lighten up.

"We solemnly request that Beijing police find a little sense of humour and not make a big deal out of nothing," it said. "In particular, do not destroy the goodwill and anticipation the public has for the new office holders after the 18th party congress by limiting and persecuting an ordinary citizen's normal freedom of speech in such a groundless fashion."

Further inquiries were directed to the Beijing Public Security Bureau, which did not immediately respond to a faxed list of questions.

A rights group said Zhai's case could be seen as a test of whether China's incoming leaders will continue the recent steady crackdown authorities have imposed on the country's small community of activists, dissidents and lawyers.

"The new leadership has two choices: continue down the path of criminal prosecution to signal that they are unwilling to change, or release Zhai to show goodwill that it is responding to popular demands for greater freedom," said Maya Wang, a researcher for Human Rights Watch, based in Hong Kong.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/21/china-arrest-blogger-twitter-joke

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

Dr. Rand Paul 2016!

#2 drdeath

drdeath

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,084 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

In Soviet Russia China, joke makes you!

aXmDa9t.gif

#3 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

If they weren't so short, I might be scared of them.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#4 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,214 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

Kinda puts the haircut-related problems with our human rights into perspective, doesn't it?
Posted Image

#5 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

Dai lo is watching.
Posted Image

#6 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,348 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

Kinda puts the haircut-related problems with our human rights into perspective, doesn't it?

She could get a free buzz-cut though.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#7 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

If they weren't so short, I might be scared of them.

Posted Image

World's tallest man.

#8 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,007 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

Posted Image

World's tallest man.

World's shortest man

Posted Image

Seems like we have a bit of controversy.

Edited by Armada, 21 November 2012 - 09:30 PM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#9 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

I am unsure why anyone would be surprised by this. It is not as if China is a free and open democracy that embraces human rights and the rule of law.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#10 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

I am unsure why anyone would be surprised by this. It is not as if China is a free and open democracy that embraces human rights and the rule of law.

It's always good to bring these things to the public's attention, especially the Chinese public.

#11 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

China's not the only one..

Facebook protest: Arrested, slapped, girls still in trauma

Posted Image
Posted Image Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Puja Changoiwala, Hindustan Times
Palghar, November 20, 2012

Forget free speech. A simple comment on Facebook - and what they got was a slap in the face.

On Sunday evening, 20-year-old Rinu Srinivasan - who got arrested with her friend Shaheen Dhada, 21, for objecting to the bandh following Bal Thackeray's death on Facebook - was hit by an unidentified woman outside Mumbai's Palghar police station.
"I saw a huge crowd outside the police station. Suddenly, a woman slapped me twice and vanished into the crowd," said Srinivasan. "I could not complain or tell anyone, because I was the one against whom the case was being registered," she added, tears rolling down her cheeks.
The two young women have had a bitter time.
Srinivasan, a Botany graduate, who had simply "liked" Dhada's comment on Facebook, said she was traumatised.
"I have never been to a police station before. I looked around and there were so many people staring at me. The place was so intimidating. And I was put through all this only because I chose to express my opinion," she said. Timeline: Sena on a rampage

Posted Image
Shaheen Dhadha and Renu Shrinivasan, arrested for their posts on Facebook, after their release on bail by the Palghar court in Mumbai on Monday. PTI photo
And the trauma still lingers. "I am a common person, I do not have any power. The case will affect my career. But I cannot do anything," Srinivasan said.
Dhada, however, is standing strong by her Facebook post.
"Even when I gave the written apology, I did not apologise because I thought I had done something wrong. I apologised because my words had hurt a few people and I never intended to hurt anyone," she said.
"I have no political inclinations whatsoever. That was my opinion and I simply expressed it. Who expected such a reaction? I just think it was the wrong time. Something ill-fated had to happen and it did," Dhada added.
A graduate in management studies, Dhada said following the controversy, somebody created a fake Facebook account in her name on Sunday night. Her original account, from which she had made the update, has been hacked into.
Will they return to Facebook? Not in the near future, it seems. "Even if I do visit the website, I will post updates only about mundane things," said Srinivasan.
"I am not scared," Dhada said. "I believe Shaheen and I should get justice," added Srinivasan.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/Print/962062.aspx
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#12 Hat Trick Maker

Hat Trick Maker

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

I thought Twitter was banned in China.

Well, when your joke implies mass deaths of government officials, including the current and next Chinese presidents no less, you are going to draw some attention. Didn't a British man get banned from visiting the U.S. for calling Obama a "prick" a while ago?

#13 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

China's not the only one..

Facebook protest: Arrested, slapped, girls still in trauma

Posted Image
Posted Image Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Puja Changoiwala, Hindustan Times
Palghar, November 20, 2012

Forget free speech. A simple comment on Facebook - and what they got was a slap in the face.

On Sunday evening, 20-year-old Rinu Srinivasan - who got arrested with her friend Shaheen Dhada, 21, for objecting to the bandh following Bal Thackeray's death on Facebook - was hit by an unidentified woman outside Mumbai's Palghar police station.
"I saw a huge crowd outside the police station. Suddenly, a woman slapped me twice and vanished into the crowd," said Srinivasan. "I could not complain or tell anyone, because I was the one against whom the case was being registered," she added, tears rolling down her cheeks.
The two young women have had a bitter time.
Srinivasan, a Botany graduate, who had simply "liked" Dhada's comment on Facebook, said she was traumatised.
"I have never been to a police station before. I looked around and there were so many people staring at me. The place was so intimidating. And I was put through all this only because I chose to express my opinion," she said. Timeline: Sena on a rampage

Posted Image
Shaheen Dhadha and Renu Shrinivasan, arrested for their posts on Facebook, after their release on bail by the Palghar court in Mumbai on Monday. PTI photo
And the trauma still lingers. "I am a common person, I do not have any power. The case will affect my career. But I cannot do anything," Srinivasan said.
Dhada, however, is standing strong by her Facebook post.
"Even when I gave the written apology, I did not apologise because I thought I had done something wrong. I apologised because my words had hurt a few people and I never intended to hurt anyone," she said.
"I have no political inclinations whatsoever. That was my opinion and I simply expressed it. Who expected such a reaction? I just think it was the wrong time. Something ill-fated had to happen and it did," Dhada added.
A graduate in management studies, Dhada said following the controversy, somebody created a fake Facebook account in her name on Sunday night. Her original account, from which she had made the update, has been hacked into.
Will they return to Facebook? Not in the near future, it seems. "Even if I do visit the website, I will post updates only about mundane things," said Srinivasan.
"I am not scared," Dhada said. "I believe Shaheen and I should get justice," added Srinivasan.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/Print/962062.aspx

How can she slap?

Edited by JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo, 21 November 2012 - 11:35 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.