The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

U.S. government agency drops RIM for Apple

Pouria

U.S. government agency drops RIM for Apple

The U.S. National Transportation Safety Board is dropping Research In Motion's (TSX:RIM) BlackBerry smartphone in favour of the new iPhone 5.

The U.S. National Transportation Safety Board is dropping Research In Motion's (TSX:RIM) BlackBerry smartphone in favour of the new iPhone 5.

The board says existing Blackberry devices have been failing both at "inopportune times" and at an unacceptable rate.

The Washington-based National Transportation Safety Board also says in a document that the iPhone 5 will be compatible with Apple iPad tablets already in use by its employees.

The safety board says it requires effective, reliable and stable communications to ensure employee safety in remote locations.

Waterloo, Ont.,-based RIM has lost several other U.S. departments and agencies as clients, including the Defence Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, have also chosen the iPhone.

The news comes before the launch of RIM's new BlackBerry 10 operating system in early 2013, which RIM hopes will enable it to better compete against the iPHone and smartphones with the Android operating system.

No real surprise that America would drop RIM (A Canadian company) for Apple (An American company)

I've never really had an issue with my Blackberry, but then again I basically just use it as a phone and schedule keeper.

in terms of stock price and market shares, its been doing very very well the last week. It's shares are going up like mad. That being said, last week, Apple has made a huge comeback.

But to be honest, its quite sad to see rim getting dropped like that.... sigh.... But rim can only hang on for that much longer... Android really killed em.

I think Blackberry's fate is almost sealed with all these companies and government agencies dumping them for the competition. Blackberry 10 is their last shot and it will be tough to succeed with the market saturated with Android, Apple and Windows phone. It seems the only people who will get Blackberry are the ones that prefer physical keyboard.

Archived