The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

U.S. government agency drops RIM for Apple

Pouria

Well, I don't like touchscreens, so the trackball was a good fit for me. Though I can see why they'd get rid of it, it breaks way too easily. Only had it for a few months before it started having problems, and I take care of my stuff.

An upgrade for me will come when there's a phone that isn't touchscreen :P

BB10 might or might not be great but It will be too late by the time BB10 is released. You have Windows phone starting to become more relevant along with Apple and Android taking the biggest market share. By the time BB10 is released, Windows phones might have close to the same number of apps as iOS and Android. Now who will make apps for Blackberry when there are so many better choices for developers to choose from. They aren't going to waste time making apps for blackberry.

BB10 might or might not be great but It will be too late by the time BB10 is released. You have Windows phone starting to become more relevant along with Apple and Android taking the biggest market share. By the time BB10 is released, Windows phones might have close to the same number of apps as iOS and Android. Now who will make apps for Blackberry when there are so many better choices for developers to choose from. They aren't going to waste time making apps for blackberry.

Its hardware is better than both the Iphone 5 and Samsung S3.

Not to mention theres been a massive turnout for developers making apps for the Blackberry 10 as Rim is offering compensation for developing apps for their OS. Rims not done, their Stocks just jumped 15% yesterday.

In the smart phone market, the number of apps is the number one thing that the majority of people look at (at least in North America). This is the reason why playbook has flopped and it could be the reason why BB10 will flop in the future (in North America). I don't know about their situation outside of NA but it is pretty bad here. Their niche market right now is the people that like to use physical keyboard and BBM. Windows phone is gaining ground and will only gain more market share.

Nope. The reason the Playbook flopped was because it was released with an OS that was incomplete. It took RIM a full year before releasing an update to the OS. This is why BB10 was delayed, to ensure the same thing doesn't happen again.

Windows phones still have a lot of work to do to catch up to Blackberry, and the reason it won't catch up to Blackberry is the same reason no company is making money with Android phones other then Samsung, and the reason is that the OS is licensed out to other companies.

If you look at Nokia, they released their Lumia 920, and are still in worse shape then RIM who has yet to release BB10.

The reason BB10 will be a success is that RIM is targeting a specific type of person with BB10. They have gone out and researched what type of people use Blackberry's and have built a phone for those people. Anyone who has ever liked a Blackberry because of its efficiency and reliability, but has left because of its limitations is a potential buyer of a BB10 phone. That's a lot of people.

I suggest doing some research on BB10, there's a lot to be learned.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, here is a preview of the developer version of BB10:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a--JFskPL3Q&feature=related

Am not saying blackberry is bad, am just talking based on my observation of what majority of people are looking for when they buy a smart phone. Number of apps/softwares seem to be the selling point these days and that is what the majority of people want. It is also the same reason why Windows phones haven't reached the same pinnacle as Apple and Android phones even though they have the best OS in the market right now. The availability of apps are really important to most buyers and that is why Android has quickly become popular more so than Blackberry.

Fair enough to report your observations, everyone sees things differently.

In my opinion, from my research and observations, I believe that the reason Android has become more popular the Blackberry, is not because of the number of apps, but because of the quality of apps, as well as the OS itself.

Apps like Instigram, Skype, Netflix ect. not being on Blackberry is one of the main reasons people have left Blackberry.

The other reason is that, because the current Blackberry platform is over 10 years old, there are a lot of limitations that it has compared to iOS and Android. For example, it is very difficult to create an app for Blackberry phones, also, the platform was not made for a touch screen phone, it simply isn't powerful enough to run it smoothly. Because of these two things, RIM's old management tried to adapt the OS to become more app and touchscreen friendly, despite the platform not being able to handle it. This created a buggy user experience that is both slow and at times frustrating to some users.

Those same users who want a touchscreen phone that can run apps that Blackberry's can't handle, switched to iOS.

The switch to a QNX based OS was the solution RIM needed, and now that they have it, I believe there phones will succeed once again. Keep in mind that QNX (which is owned by RIM), runs in everything from cars - nuclear power plants - to the routers CISCO uses to run the interweb. So obviously it's a beast of a platform.

So your last sentence is 100% correct, but at the same time, if those apps are available when BB10 launches, I don't think people will care if there are 25K extra flashlight apps on iOS that they can't get on BB10.

It will be interesting to see what happens in 5 years if RIM is still around and has an OS which is capable of doing things that iOS can never do. That is if Apple doesn't create a platform that is able to handle the next decade.

Archived