The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Class 5 Road Test in Point Grey

Kass9

Hey guys,

I have my Class 5 road test coming and I was wondering how much difference, if any, there is between the Class 7N road test and this one.

Like do they take you on bridges/highways.. anything they focus on more or less?

Thanks.

PS. Sorry if a thread already exists. Please merge or lock?

Frankly, I thought it was much easier. I took mine in Poco so the only "Highway driving" was on Lougheed at 60Km's.

Also, you never have to do any parking including parallel other then reversing in at the end (Which is how I always park). Just watch out for school zones, stay on the speed limit, do full stops and watch your shoulder checks.

It was about 10 minutes long for me. You're going to pull over once and instead of stating 5 hazards while pulled over you're just going to have too tell the examiner 5 while you're driving. Pretty easy just say hidden driveway, car can pull out of that parking spot, weather, someone can run out from behind that car, etc...

Its MUCH easier than the Class 7 especially now that you have had experience.

The only thing I was dinged on was not holding the steering wheel with two hands at times. I talked with the examiner the whole time which probably relaxed both of us. (He told me it can be pretty stressful job sometimes not knowing who's gonna be behind that wheel) :lol:

I did the Point Grey road test. The only highway they take you is the UBC highway, and that may not even happen. You will for sure be going on Broadway and be asked to do a left hand turn from Macdonald to 12th Ave.

They may take you down Crown St. and ask you to make a left hand turn onto King Edward. King Edward is split into two by a boulevard and it is very tricky. Many people choose the first road which is westward. That is an automatic fail.

They will be looking for shoulder checks, use of mirrors, coming to a complete stop at every stop sign.

Good luck.

Although I did my class 5 in Victoria, I can tell you to make sure your shoulder checks are clearly visible (I did them at all times yet got dinged for some "half assed" ones), enough time with your turn signal on before changing lanes, watch your speed, and of course your control of the road.

I never had to point out any hazards or anything like that, just make sure your focus is on the road and to have a little bit of conversation with the examiner and it'll go by super fast!

Of course, you'll still have to reverse stall park.. and if it's anything like the one in Victoria, can be a bit of a struggle.

http://goo.gl/maps/IfLL5

As you can see hopefully, the stalls are constricted in places to make a straight back in because of narrow roads, narrow parking spaces, and a curb. Of course if you have a lot of experience it's no problem, however if you don't back in far enough they can dock you or of course if you back into the cement wall you also fail. Good luck!

I did the Point Grey road test. The only highway they take you is the UBC highway, and that may not even happen. You will for sure be going on Broadway and be asked to do a left hand turn from Macdonald to 12th Ave.

They may take you down Crown St. and ask you to make a left hand turn onto King Edward. King Edward is split into two by a boulevard and it is very tricky. Many people choose the first road which is westward. That is an automatic fail.

They will be looking for shoulder checks, use of mirrors, coming to a complete stop at every stop sign.

Good luck.

Hey bud,

Funny enough, I did the class 5 test today and passed. It is 30 minutes without parking. You go on a bridge (I did langley, overpass thing) and highway. You usually go past a park/school zone and a round about as well. If you literally shoulder check everything, check mirrors and stuff.. you'll pass, easy.

Archived