Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

-Vintage Canuck-

2 killed in 100-vehicle pileup on Texas highway

27 posts in this topic

There was a pileup of 80 to 100 vehicles on a foggy Texas interstate near Beaumon:

BEAUMONT, Texas — Two people died and dozens were hurt Thursday when at least 100 vehicles collided on a Texas highway in dense fog, leaving trucks twisted on top of each other and authorities rushing to pull survivors from the wreckage.

“It is catastrophic,” said Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Rod Carroll. “I’ve got cars on top of cars.”

The Thanksgiving holiday morning crash happened on Interstate 10 about 128 kilometres east of Houston.

At least 51 people had been taken to area hospitals, and at least eight were critically hurt, officials at Acadian Ambulance service told KFDM-TV.

It wasn’t immediately clear how the pileup began, but Carroll said the fog was so thick that officers didn’t immediately realize they were dealing with multiple accidents.

I-10’s eastbound lanes were expected to remain closed for most of Thursday.

Texas Department of Public Safety trooper Stephanie Davis told KFDM that two people were killed in an SUV crushed by a tractor trailer. She said at least 100 cars and trucks were involved in the accident.

Carroll said uninjured drivers tried to help as authorities sorted through the wreckage.

“It’s just people helping people,” Carroll said. “The foremost thing in this holiday season is how other travellers were helping us when we were overwhelmed, sitting and holding, putting pressure on people that were injured.”

http://www.theprovince.com/killed+vehicle+pileup+Texas+highway/7596709/story.html#axzz2CzmEGutA

crash2.jpgcrash1.jpgcrash5.jpgcrash4.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PmkbyHKZFY

Those FedEx drivers were maybe a tad too relaxed?

People probably driving way to close to the guy ahead of them. If they gotta slam on their breaks, you're in trouble. I see it all the time on the freeway.

How many drunk rednecks driving at 150 mph were involved?

I've driven through dense fog in California before, maybe 10 ft visability of the tail lights in front of you, maybe less. I slowed down to 60 km/h which is still fast considering. Others wizzed by at their usual 70-80 mph, which is insane. You might as well be driving blind in those conditions and speed. Also daytime running lights are not mandatory, there are some completely invisible mofos out there.

The only time I had even close to this in BC was the section of highway by revelstoke, we were crawling at 40 kmh, which was reasonable.

....is it wrong of me to say those trucks piled up look kind of cool?

I'm honestly surprised this doesn't happen more often, I'm on the freeway all day for work and people follow WAY too closely behind eachother.

Fast lane can being going like 110/120 with 20 cars in a row all leaving 1 car length between them.

I'm honestly surprised this doesn't happen more often, I'm on the freeway all day for work and people follow WAY too closely behind eachother.

Fast lane can being going like 110/120 with 20 cars in a row all leaving 1 car length between them.

This is similar to that huge crash on I-70 in LA in Nov 2002 . 216 cars involved. Same thing, Dense fog and tailgating, was to blame. Mother nature doesnt even have to raise a sweat to mess us up.

This is similar to that huge crash on I-70 in LA in Nov 2002 . 216 cars involved. Same thing, Dense fog and tailgating, was to blame. Mother nature doesnt even have to raise a sweat to mess us up.

I see they have the motorcyclist decapitators for guard rails as well....

I see they have the motorcyclist decapitators for guard rails as well....

How does this even happen?