26 replies to this topic

#1 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69,210 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

There was a pileup of 80 to 100 vehicles on a foggy Texas interstate near Beaumon:

BEAUMONT, Texas — Two people died and dozens were hurt Thursday when at least 100 vehicles collided on a Texas highway in dense fog, leaving trucks twisted on top of each other and authorities rushing to pull survivors from the wreckage.

“It is catastrophic,” said Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Rod Carroll. “I’ve got cars on top of cars.”

The Thanksgiving holiday morning crash happened on Interstate 10 about 128 kilometres east of Houston.

At least 51 people had been taken to area hospitals, and at least eight were critically hurt, officials at Acadian Ambulance service told KFDM-TV.

It wasn’t immediately clear how the pileup began, but Carroll said the fog was so thick that officers didn’t immediately realize they were dealing with multiple accidents.

I-10’s eastbound lanes were expected to remain closed for most of Thursday.

Texas Department of Public Safety trooper Stephanie Davis told KFDM that two people were killed in an SUV crushed by a tractor trailer. She said at least 100 cars and trucks were involved in the accident.

Carroll said uninjured drivers tried to help as authorities sorted through the wreckage.

“It’s just people helping people,” Carroll said. “The foremost thing in this holiday season is how other travellers were helping us when we were overwhelmed, sitting and holding, putting pressure on people that were injured.”

http://www.theprovin...l#axzz2CzmEGutA

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

307mg00.jpg

#2 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

POPULAR

Everything's bigger in Texas...

...too soon?
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#3 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

Whoa is that like a world record? 100 car pile up!? I thought Richmond had bad drivers
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#4 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Those FedEx drivers were maybe a tad too relaxed?
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#5 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

People probably driving way to close to the guy ahead of them. If they gotta slam on their breaks, you're in trouble. I see it all the time on the freeway.
Posted Image

#6 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,848 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

Everything's bigger in Texas...

...too soon?

Way

People probably driving way to close to the guy ahead of them. If they gotta slam on their breaks, you're in trouble. I see it all the time on the freeway.

Ya I always see that too, people tailgate each other like crazy even though it barely makes there trip any faster. And most people's brake arne't even 100%, so you have 2ft of stopping distance to go 100-0.

Edited by key2thecup, 22 November 2012 - 05:01 PM.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#7 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

I bet Romo caused all those cars to turnover

#8 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

How many drunk rednecks driving at 150 mph were involved?

#9 vavoom

vavoom

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

I've driven through dense fog in California before, maybe 10 ft visability of the tail lights in front of you, maybe less. I slowed down to 60 km/h which is still fast considering. Others wizzed by at their usual 70-80 mph, which is insane. You might as well be driving blind in those conditions and speed. Also daytime running lights are not mandatory, there are some completely invisible mofos out there.

The only time I had even close to this in BC was the section of highway by revelstoke, we were crawling at 40 kmh, which was reasonable.

#10 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

....is it wrong of me to say those trucks piled up look kind of cool?

/=S=/

#11 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

How does this even happen?
Posted Image

#12 BurnabyJoe

BurnabyJoe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

I'm honestly surprised this doesn't happen more often, I'm on the freeway all day for work and people follow WAY too closely behind eachother.

Fast lane can being going like 110/120 with 20 cars in a row all leaving 1 car length between them.

Edited by BurnabyJoe, 22 November 2012 - 06:52 PM.

http://i8.photobucke...e/canucks40.jpg <- Jim Robson's 40th Anniversary Team.

#13 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

I'm honestly surprised this doesn't happen more often, I'm on the freeway all day for work and people follow WAY too closely behind eachother.

Fast lane can being going like 110/120 with 20 cars in a row all leaving 1 car length between them.

I totally agree with you. I don't know how do they do this, or why they are so damn close to me. Freaks me out. I take the highway home every day after work, way too many tail gaters and i'm going around 90km.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#14 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:48 AM

This is similar to that huge crash on I-70 in LA in Nov 2002 . 216 cars involved. Same thing, Dense fog and tailgating, was to blame. Mother nature doesnt even have to raise a sweat to mess us up.

Posted Image

#15 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:56 AM

Fog pretty much is mother nature raising a sweat.

#16 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:07 AM

well that's going to be a messy set of lawsuits.

horrible timing for the 2 deaths
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#17 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:03 AM

This is similar to that huge crash on I-70 in LA in Nov 2002 . 216 cars involved. Same thing, Dense fog and tailgating, was to blame. Mother nature doesnt even have to raise a sweat to mess us up.

Human stupidity triumphs again.

I remember watching a documentary about that accident about a year after it happened on the Discovery Channel (back when the Discovery Channel actually had, you know, quality content) and they did some investigation into human nature. They found people actually drove faster in foggy conditions than they did in clear conditions, at least when their speedometers were covered up. They also did a survey asking people how often they look at their speedometers when traveling on the highway and the majority responded that they seldom checked. The test drivers reported that, despite actually driving slower, it seemed to them that they were going faster in the clear conditions when the opposite was true.

The prevailing theory that was presented at the climax of the documentary was that the pile-up was due to many drivers failing to check their speedometers in combination with inability to properly gauge their speed via peripheral vision and, of course, a healthy dose of poor driving habits and a complete lack of common sense.

#18 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,384 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

I see they have the motorcyclist decapitators for guard rails as well....

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#19 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,808 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

I see they have the motorcyclist decapitators for guard rails as well....

It creates a slingshot effect. It works because it prevent rolloverss and vehicles crossing into the opposite lane of traffic.

Edited by jmfaminoff, 23 November 2012 - 10:12 AM.

#20 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,808 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

How does this even happen?

I live down here, and I have driven that stretch of highway a lot. It is the major east-west thoroughfare between East Texas and Houston. It has lots of truck and car traffic going cross country. The speed limit is 70 miles an hour, but if you do the speed limit you are getting passed. So the actual speed driven is about 80-85 miles an hour.

But here is how it happened. It is humid down here. It was cool at night, and so we had fog in the morning, which is not uncommon. But a couple of accidents happened, looky lous slowed down to take a peek, and because of the lack of visibility, people did not have enough space and/or time to stop before hitting the looky lous, and so the accidents were inevitable.

All I can say is it is going to be a mess insurance wise.

#21 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,808 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

Fog pretty much is mother nature raising a sweat.

It is humid down here and that part of the state is wetlands and swampy. It is not uncommon on a cool night to get fog in the morning. Just it was Thanksgiving Day and a major travel day, especially by car.

#22 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,384 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

It creates a slingshot effect. It works because it prevent rolloverss and vehicles crossing into the opposite lane of traffic.

Yes, but they are life threatening and dangerous to motorcyclists.

I thought the main reason they came up with them was because they are much more cheaper to have.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#23 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

I've driven through dense fog in California before, maybe 10 ft visability of the tail lights in front of you, maybe less. I slowed down to 60 km/h which is still fast considering. Others wizzed by at their usual 70-80 mph, which is insane. You might as well be driving blind in those conditions and speed. Also daytime running lights are not mandatory, there are some completely invisible mofos out there.

The only time I had even close to this in BC was the section of highway by revelstoke, we were crawling at 40 kmh, which was reasonable.

Tule fog is exactly what causes these types of pileups in California, particularly in the valley. It's just nasty, so I'm not surprised fog is the culprit here too.

#24 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

Looks like a scene from walking dead.

#25 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,808 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

Yes, but they are life threatening and dangerous to motorcyclists.

I thought the main reason they came up with them was because they are much more cheaper to have.

A lot of folks that I know that ride will not use the Interstate because of that.

#26 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,808 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

Tule fog is exactly what causes these types of pileups in California, particularly in the valley. It's just nasty, so I'm not surprised fog is the culprit here too.

Yep! Even doing 80, you get passed. But you cannot beat common sense, and choosing to drive safely.

#27 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,499 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

I beg to differ .. the cause is not the fog .. the cause is drivers over-driving the road conditions .. period .. have experienced the bumper to bumper @ 90 MPH in LA and it scared the crap out of me .. and I have dodged loaded logging trucks on single lane roads all my adult life ..

Edited by Tearloch7, 23 November 2012 - 05:37 PM.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.