The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

VAN - FLA

1st; Lou > Lecavalier this is 2012 not 2006 when Vinny was at the top nor 2002 when he was a washout as first overall pick.

2knd; Lecavalier is owed fifty million over 5 years, Lou over ten (a fair distinction).

3rd; Hodgson & Jensen > Kadri and Biggs (Hodgson may have attitude issues, but he's overcoming them by outworking guys not showing up fat).

So we could say no and have it reflect Notta thing on the discussion

You are aware that that would've been a similar offer to Vancouver trading Cody Hodgson + Nicklas Jensen for a guy like Vincent Lecavalier in the summer of 2011, right?

Would you have made that deal?

In your eyes, maybe. But again, you show an inability to remove yourself from the situation and look at it from the other side.

TB just gave 2 2nds and a 3rd for Lindback. That's not a price to pay for someone who's going to backup Luongo and play 20 games per year.

I would point out that there are folks who are concerned about Schneider's youth and inexperience. If I recall correctly, you would prefer that the Canucks kept Luongo rather than Schneider, as Luongo is the better goalie.

So what is your opinion of Lindback? He is younger than Schneider and has played only as many games in the NHL as Schneider has wins. Why wouldn't TB want Luongo to act as the starter and mentor to Lindback as he did with Schneider? And can you come up with anything other than Luongo's age and the length of his contract? TB is a team which could go far in the playoffs with a goaltender. Heck, they got to game 7 of the conference finals against the Bruins a couple of years ago with Roloson.

If you believe that the Canucks should be okay with keeping Luongo, why wouldn't another team want to acquire him?

regards,

G.

I think I know where you are coming from, but who would Tampa Bay give us that would be worth our while? If they are a Contender for the cup they will not be willing to trade away people we need for our run now as well. If we trade for prospects that doesn't do us very much if we want the cup now as well. As much as I'd like to admit it would be good to trade with Tampa Bay but they wouldn't really have much to offer us.

I would point out that there are folks who are concerned about Schneider's youth and inexperience. If I recall correctly, you would prefer that the Canucks kept Luongo rather than Schneider, as Luongo is the better goalie.

So what is your opinion of Lindback? He is younger than Schneider and has played only as many games in the NHL as Schneider has wins. Why wouldn't TB want Luongo to act as the starter and mentor to Lindback as he did with Schneider? And can you come up with anything other than Luongo's age and the length of his contract? TB is a team which could go far in the playoffs with a goaltender. Heck, they got to game 7 of the conference finals against the Bruins a couple of years ago with Roloson.

If you believe that the Canucks should be okay with keeping Luongo, why wouldn't another team want to acquire him?

I don't know much about Lindback at all. But TB sure seems to like him, based on what they paid to acquire him. Makes you wonder why they'd want Luongo. 2 2nds and a 3rd to pick up a backup goaltender? Not likely.

EDIT: to your last question, the answer is because of the high degree of risk in the acquisition. High potential for it to be a flop, which will then cost the GM his job. I don't think many GMs are all that eager to stick their necks on the line for something like this. Lu's almost 34 years old and is under contract until 2022. Some of you have suggested that he'll be retiring in 3 - 4 years, and simply walking away from ~$20M of guaranteed money. I'd call that not very likely.

Yeah, so if you're Yzerman you're comfortable going forward with a 22 year old goalie (for whom you traded away two 2nd's and a 3rd), who has only 38 games worth of NHL experience, and who has a medical condition which could have an impact on his future playing career, rather than trading for Luongo because of the high potential for that trade to be a flop?

I think I know where you are coming from, but who would Tampa Bay give us that would be worth our while? If they are a Contender for the cup they will not be willing to trade away people we need for our run now as well. If we trade for prospects that doesn't do us very much if we want the cup now as well. As much as I'd like to admit it would be good to trade with Tampa Bay but they wouldn't really have much to offer us.

Lindback isn't going to be the starter for the Lightning anyways, him and Garon are going to be 1A 1B goalies.

Lindback will probably play about 40-45 games next year, and get a few more each year as time goes on.

If it was the case that Lu could be the starter for 2 or 3 more years then hand the reigns over to Lindback then maybe I could see Tampa going for it, but because of his contract that just isn't possible. If Tampa got Luongo they would likely no longer need him in a few years, and would be stuck in a situation similar to ours.

I can't see Tampa going for Lu right now, but that being said in terms of pure value, he's worth more than just Purcell.

Lindback isn't going to be the starter for the Lightning anyways, him and Garon are going to be 1A 1B goalies.

Lindback will probably play about 40-45 games next year, and get a few more each year as time goes on.

If it was the case that Lu could be the starter for 2 or 3 more years then hand the reigns over to Lindback then maybe I could see Tampa going for it, but because of his contract that just isn't possible. If Tampa got Luongo they would likely no longer need him in a few years, and would be stuck in a situation similar to ours.

Archived