The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Trudeau - Suffering from Foot in Mouth - Canadian Style

Wetcoaster

Anyway, the point of this thread ought to be:

Are there any high school teachers out there that, however “good-looking, charismatic, and great with ordinary people,” could ever dream of being in Trudeau’s position if they only had a different name? And that’s the maddening thing about all this. Everybody knows to what he owes his present standing. The problem is that this is now accepted as something perfectly natural and inevitable.

This may be apropos: People Aren't Smart Enough for Democracy to Flourish, Scientists Say

http://news.yahoo.co...-185601411.html

Ancient Greeks, US founding fathers, and others who have given the matter an ounce of honest thought have said or hinted at much the same. Doubly worth thinking about whenever there is agitation, usually from the left, to expand the voting base.

I disagree.

I don't know that to be so. I judge people on their own merits. I find it sad that a number of people here seem to think that a person has to somehow overcome a famous last name in order to be recognized in their own right. Will Justin Trudeau forever be measured against his father and his father's accomplishments? No doubt he will...... but to claim, erroneously and with no proof, that he is riding his father's coattails and the Trudeau name into leadership of the Liberal party is just plain ignorant and stupid.

Anyway, the point of this thread ought to be:

Are there any high school teachers out there that, however “good-looking, charismatic, and great with ordinary people,” could ever dream of being in Trudeau’s position if they only had a different name? And that’s the maddening thing about all this. Everybody knows to what he owes his present standing. The problem is that this is now accepted as something perfectly natural and inevitable.

This may be apropos: People Aren't Smart Enough for Democracy to Flourish, Scientists Say

http://news.yahoo.co...-185601411.html

Ancient Greeks, US founding fathers, and others who have given the matter an ounce of honest thought have said or hinted at much the same. Doubly worth thinking about whenever there is agitation, usually from the left, to expand the voting base.

Liberal MP Marc Garneau makes it official... he is in the leadership race.

Former astronaut and Montreal MP Marc Garneau launched his Liberal leadership bid Wednesday, joining an already crowded field of those hoping to win the party's top job.

Garneau made the announcement Wednesday morning in his riding of Westmount-Ville-Marie. Alternating between French and English, a fiery Garneau said it's time for the Liberal party to set aside issues that divide and focus on those that unite.

"As leader, I will focus on the issues that matter to Quebecers and indeed to all Canadians. I will do this by making the economy my number one priority because I have to say it, how we propose as Liberals to deal with the economy will be crucial not only to our fortunes but to our country," Garneau said.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/garneau-s-liberal-leadership-campaign-officially-blasts-off-1.1056701#ixzz2DYm8eWop

Former astronaut and Montreal MP Marc Garneau launched his Liberal leadership bid Wednesday, joining an already crowded field of those hoping to win the party's top job.

Garneau made the announcement Wednesday morning in his riding of Westmount-Ville-Marie. Alternating between French and English, a fiery Garneau said it's time for the Liberal party to set aside issues that divide and focus on those that unite.

"As leader, I will focus on the issues that matter to Quebecers and indeed to all Canadians. I will do this by making the economy my number one priority because I have to say it, how we propose as Liberals to deal with the economy will be crucial not only to our fortunes but to our country," Garneau said.

http://www.ctvnews.c...1#ixzz2DYm8eWop

Garneau made the announcement Wednesday morning in his riding of Westmount-Ville-Marie. Alternating between French and English, a fiery Garneau said
it's time for the Liberal party to
set aside issues that divide
and focus on those that unite

"As leader,
I will focus on the issues that matter to
Quebecers
and indeed to all Canadians. I will do this by making the economy my number one priority because I have to say it, how we propose as Liberals to deal with the economy will be crucial not only to our fortunes but to our country," Garneau said.

http://www.ctvnews.c...1#ixzz2DYm8eWop

Just what we need, more slush funds and entitlements.

How about we put the money towards paying off the 600 billion or so we owe already instead of drowning deeper in debt.

Even to maintain the so called lousy status-quo with regards to our apparently insufficient food quality, environmental protection, struggling lower and middle classes, and large deficit budgets would require significant tax increases and cuts to other programs.

If not at the end of the day all those things as well as anything you might feel is going to subsidies the wealthy and foreign (with a knock on effect to investment and jobs which will hit everyone) are in serious risk of getting devastated.

What money? We're massively in debt and that situation is getting worse.

What money is being given to foreign billionaires? This isn't the states, high income earners pay lots of taxes.

We could invest in the country for sure but we have no money to invest atm and the future projection doesn't exactly look bright for having more.

I don't disagree that we need to concern ourselves first with the budget/debt/deficit.

But like I said, if we're getting f'd...I'd rather that money be going to farmers, keeping the resource jobs and money here and going to the middle class etc than overpriced jets and prisons we don't need.

Archived