The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Trudeau - Suffering from Foot in Mouth - Canadian Style

Wetcoaster

Nope. He's been kicking the can down the road with low interest rates and deficit spending. The economy hasn't tanked because Canadians keep spending like crazy not because of new wealth due to economic growth but rather by going further and further into debt from all the cheap easy credit. As a result Canadians are at their highest debt level ever and the now 160% average personal debt to earnings (it's highest level ever and similar to levels in the American, Irish, you name it economies right before they had their financial crises) which is pretty much bubble territory. Whether it goes down hard in a financial crisis or we have multiple years of high inflation "soft landing" some serious deleveraging is in store which will be putting a serious whammy on the economy.

Should the Americans go over the fiscal cliff the cons will have the boogeyman they need and the party could be over by this spring.

Trudeau is running for leadership and Alberta voters will neither decide the leadership race NOR the next Federal Election .. many folks in Eastern Canada will drink that anti-Alberta kool-aid, and having the tar sand development as your national priority ala Harper is not real popular ..

Consider Justin talking to his base .. when the Conservatives took over, the Liberals were running a surplus .. just saying

Again, polls indicate that a Trudeau-led Liberal party has a real chance of winning the next election, whether or not he is actually qualified.

This predictable revelation has the Conservatives on attack mode, hence bringing up years old talk of Alberta. Who cares?

But you wanna talk large-scale flip-flop then let's discuss how the current Conservative Party was actually a massive flip and power grab by the old Reform Party, who put aside their western-bred hatred for the east to gain a shot at the PM chair with the old PC party. Where are these 'western values' now as all Harper has done is rape and sell Albertan natural resources? (Or is that viewed as a positive? Yay.)

In the end, all parties who want power in this country have to become friends with the east. That's just the way it is.

It's... The future... And I see... A Trudeau minority... Followed by Trudeau majority.

I will give Harper one brief moment of praise. When he first took over during the financial crisis he tried to put in a conservative mini austerity budget which would have kept us if not in surplus spitting distance from it. It was the liberals and NDP that promised to bring the government down if they didn't put in a lot of stimulus (aka deficit spending).

The problem is that they quickly learned that easy money was political mana from heaven and haven't been able to get off the drug yet.

As noted above though the US might be giving a nice cop out for Christmas that would allow them to do the ultimate political move - blaming your own mistakes on someone else.

Again, polls indicate that a Trudeau-led Liberal party has a real chance of winning the next election, whether or not he is actually qualified.

This predictable revelation has the Conservatives on attack mode, hence bringing up years old talk of Alberta. Who cares?

But you wanna talk large-scale flip-flop then let's discuss how the current Conservative Party was actually a massive flip and power grab by the old Reform Party, who put aside their western-bred hatred for the east to gain a shot at the PM chair with the old PC party. Where are these 'western values' now as all Harper has done is rape and sell Albertan natural resources? (Or is that viewed as a positive? Yay.)

In the end, all parties who want power in this country have to become friends with the east. That's just the way it is.

It's... The future... And I see... A Trudeau minority... Followed by Trudeau majority.

That the Liberals are incredibly Quebec and Ontario centric, and treat the rest of the country like an exploited colony at best, was beyond Captain Obvious obvious even before the substitute drama teacher put it out there.

These are the folks who ensured that the West would be nowhere near as strong economically or politically as it would have been otherwise without their constant undermining.

It's only very recently that things are starting to change for the better.

And Justin Trudeau spin cycle goes hits full speed.

"I'm sorry I said what I did. I was wrong to relate the area of the country that Mr. Harper is from with the people who live there and the policies that he has that don't represent the values of most Canadians," Trudeau told reporters in Vancouver.

"It was wrong to use a shorthand to say Alberta, when I was really talking about Mr. Harper's government, and I'm sorry I did that."

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...rta-quebec.html

Translation - "I really meant what i said and I thought the rubes out West would not catch on as I was being interviewed in French on a Quebec program."

And seeming to not get the irony he went on to say:

"I think Canada is better off with a prime minister who chooses to bring people together and not play up insecurities and divisions and regional resentments any chance they can get, and unfortunately that's what we tend to be getting from both Mr. Harper and now Mr. Mulcair, who has now put a big X over Alberta with his 'disease' comments," Trudeau said, referring to NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair's controversial comments in the summer about Alberta's oilsands industry creating "Dutch disease" in the Canadian economy.

Actually they did seem to learn. They cut $8 billion in spending once they had a majority as reported three weeks ago.

New year-end numbers reveal the federal government quietly cut spending by $8-billion after Canadians handed the Conservatives a majority mandate.

The Conservatives fought an election over their 2011 budget plan, which was first introduced in March of that year before the opposition parties defeated the minority government. The same budget was re-introduced in June of 2011 after voters gave Prime Minister Stephen Harper a majority.

The 2011 budget was not billed as a cost-cutting budget, but the Public Accounts year-end figures, tabled Tuesday, reveal Ottawa quickly scrapped its spending script.

After winning its first majority government, the Conservative government appears to have targeted the infrastructure-heavy stimulus spending the opposition demanded during the recession.

http://www.theglobea...article4786271/

The spending cuts have not been enough to balance the budget and the revenues are artificially high due to a spending boom by Canadians fueled by cheap debt. If we have a double dip global recession (which is all but assured) the deficit will soar and this time there's no interest rates to cut or easy credit to dole out. There's a reason why you can't go five minutes without hearing an add for Alpine Credits or whoever - there's a ton of people already maxed out. Even ZIRP won't be able to re-stimulate the economy this time and if they try it we run the risk of deflation.

We didn't dodge the financial crisis unscathed. We simply delayed it. And like anything of that nature the more you put it off the worse it is.

Yes, considering he isn't even Liberal leader yet.

Trudeau is far more appealing than Ignatieff to most voters. Esp. women voters. I don't anticipate a 'short-live'd Trudeau regime, as long as he doesn't screw it all up for himself. And no, saying what's what about Alberta two years ago doesn't count. He only needs to worry about how Quebec views him and the rest will sort itself out.

It's amazing that 'Liberal party arrogance' comes into play now when the party has actually been in shambles since Chretien took off. What has there been to be arrogant about? Nothing recent.

To be focusing on Trudeau at this point when he's not even Liberal leader at this point means the Cons are really scared. But then again, they likely should be, as a lot of Canadians are going to prop up Trudeau as their white knight, regardless of what he says or does. All Trudeau has to do is apologize for ancient history remarks and keep his mouth shut from now on. We'll see.

Archived