The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Trudeau - Suffering from Foot in Mouth - Canadian Style

Wetcoaster

In some cases that may be the case. So far that doesn't seem to be the case with the young Trudeau. The party seems very squarely behind him at this point.

I still find it funny that anyone would proclaim that a riding that has been held by conservatives for 4 decades in Alberta could be considered a litmus test for Trudeau. Any pundit who said anything like that should be ridiculed and flogged for that kind of idiocy.

The Liberal leadership race has yet to really start and then even if Trudeau wins he has to contend with being the third party behind the NDP. If he wins the leadership Mulcair and the NDP are more of an issue than Harper and the Conservatives. Also it remains to be seen how the other leadership candidates and their supporters choose their strategy and if they choose to attack Trudeau as Justin did on behalf of Dion when he went after Ignatieff. The Conservatives made good use of Justin's anti-Ignatieff comments (he had intelligence but Justin questioned his wisdom and political savvy) when Ignatieff became Liberal leader.

The polls in Calgary Centre were suggesting a dead heat between the Conservatives and Liberals but it was not near as close in the final result. Several pundits suggested that Liberal support was bled off due to the McGuinty and trudeau comments and parked with the Greens and NDP. Traditionally by-elections have results with voters sending a message to government - that does not seem to have occurred here and Crockatt was a fairly weak candidate.

It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

- DouglasAdams

But loud, profane and a pain in the butt at times.

Here is how his son Phil described him - “Even my dad’s virtues could be his vices. He could be overbearing, arrogant, egotistical.”

Or Mike Harcourt (whom Harry thought was an egghead dilettante) wrote of Harry in his 1996 autobiography - Rankin “practiced what I used to call the ‘Stalinist approach’ on council: If I cannot out-argue you, I will out-shout you. If I cannot out-shout you, I will assassinate your character.”

If you get a chance read his autobiography - “Harry’s Law: Recollections of a Radical.”

According to WAC Bennett.

However what was being predicted as a dead heat between the Conservatives and Liberals before the Trudeau and McGuinty comments ended up being not all that close. That will be part of the post election grist for the mill by political pundits and analysts.

Were the polls wrong or did the comments and the use of said comments by the Conservatives stop the Liberal momentum? Strategists form all federal parties will be reading the tea leaves to try to discern the real meaning and if it holds lessons for the future.

In the past such Conservative strategy has proved successful and the Liberals have employed a similar strategy in the past to try to brand Harper as too dangerous to lead Canada.

The point is that in several other threads you've blown off polls as irrelevant, yet use them for your argument here. You may find that irrelevant, so be it.

This whole thread is just an excuse to bash someone you clearly don't like. That's fine, but at least call a spade a spade.

Archived