The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(proposal) Canucks-Capitals/ Canucks-Toronto

I dont think Hamrlik will be a Capital much longer, due to him being so out spoken. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410109

Van

Hamrlik

Wash

Ballard

Van

Bozak

Franson

Leafs 1st round Pick or Tyler Biggs

T.O

Luongo

Raymond

sign Arnott

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) /-------- Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) /-------- Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) /--------- Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) /-------- Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / -------Tyler Bozak ($1.500m) / ----------Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) /------ Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / ---Jason Arnott ($2.175m)

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) /--------- Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / -------------Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Roman Hamrlik ($3.500m) / ----------Cody Franson ($1.800m)

Chris Tanev ($0.900m) /-------------- Andrew Alberts ($1.225m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,870,000; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $6,330,000

theres nuthign wrong with hamrlik hes a good defenseman former 1st overal pick hes 38 chelios played til he was 46 selanne is 41 i believe now i dunno if id trade ballard for him but alberts and a 5 th rounder would be fair seeing our draft record sucks and alberts sat in press box a good portion of the yr but hamrlik makes 3.5 mill to much for a bottom pairing d man only if we grabbed him at trade deadline for some veteran playoff help id still want a sixth dmen that is gritty and young and shutdowns players for about 1.5 mill a yr

How about we get a right hand shot D in a proposal?

Ballards only problem is he ain't great on the right side; but we picked up Hamhuis a day or two later and have Edler; so no top 4 minutes! Look, at this point I don't trade Ballard until Edler's back is fine and also re-signed.

theres nuthign wrong with hamrlik hes a good defenseman former 1st overal pick hes 38 chelios played til he was 46 selanne is 41 i believe now i dunno if id trade ballard for him but alberts and a 5 th rounder would be fair seeing our draft record sucks and alberts sat in press box a good portion of the yr but hamrlik makes 3.5 mill to much for a bottom pairing d man only if we grabbed him at trade deadline for some veteran playoff help id still want a sixth dmen that is gritty and young and shutdowns players for about 1.5 mill a yr

I agree on Hamrlik. He's not a bad guy, and would help our right side if we thought we were contenders this year.

But I agree for a different reason; Ballard remains our security in questions regarding Edler's back and his contract on the left side. The reality is Ballard is a pretty good defender, just not as good as Edler or Hamhuis and... His contract itself is perfectly fine, just not for us while on the 3rd pair. But Edler is a risk and Ballard might not always be 3rd pair... I don't see us wanting to move him at all, unless we are surprised by the offer.

I'd also like to see him play with Garrison. That would be a smashing combination of size and speed; which has potential to be very good.

Again I agree on Bozak; why get a utility guy? Higgins, Lappy and Malhotra all have expiring contracts. We need a fill in who will be here till (insert name; Bjugstad, Gaunce) arrives. Would I take Huberdeau straight up for Lou? Sure, but thats a completely different ballpark and not on offer, compared to a 3rd line rental and Bigg's. Bigg's might be exciting, but is not going to replace Higgins even next year. So the guy with Bigg's needs to be a Bozak like player on a 2 or 3 year contract...

Don't care for the Ballard/Hamrlik deal. He will be a UFA after this season. It is not much of a return for Ballard. Further, any future contracts with Hamrlik will be 35+ deals (at least per the old CBA) and I see no reason that Gillis would want to take that on for a position which is already fairly sound.

If Ballard is getting moved, I suspect it will be as part of the Luongo deal, depending upon with which team Gillis deals. Assuming it is Toronto, then things dovetail nicely with your second proposal. :)

As the lock-out continues, I believe there will be less interest in players like Bozak, who would in effect be nothing more than the equivalent of a trade deadline rental, who gets perhaps a few extra weeks of playing time with the Canucks before the playoffs start. Also, if Gillis is that interested in Bozak for future years, he could likely do a side deal and pick him up by the deadline, or just wait and try to sign him on July 1.

Also, if you are going to assume that Gillis trades got Bozak, why would he sign Arnott only to see him play as a winger on the 4th line? Arnott would likely be the guy who takes over at 3C, and this assumes that Gillis just doesn't say the heck with it and decides to stick with Malhotra, Lapierre, Schroeder and Ebbett.

I suspect that Gillis will either trade for Bozak or sign Arnott, but he will not do both.

The Leafs can still use Bozak, so leaving him there helps their team. Them trading Franson weakens their defense, so the Canucks might have to send a d-man back in the trade. There are two options here: Alberts or Ballard. If Burke wants a short term fix Alberts could be a decent fill-in (he has only one year left on his deal). If Burke wants a bit more, then Ballard might be the guy to go, but if this is the case, then the Canucks will have to take back some salary.

To Toronto - Luongo, Alberts or Ballard, Rodin

To Vancouver - Colborne, Biggs, 2013 or 2014 1st (Burke's choice), rights to Franson, (Lombardi, only if the deal includes Ballard)

regards,

G.

Archived