Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Should the NHL consider replacement players?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Replacement players to save the season. (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Should owners consider hiring replacement players for the 12/13 season?

1. Yes (6 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. No (11 votes [40.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.74%

3. Undecided (1 votes [3.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

4. I'd rather watch paint dry (9 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

Don Brennan in his article in the Ottawa Sun yesterday posted this question, and so far 67% (766 votes) of respondents have said yes and 31% (347 votes) have said no.

http://www.ottawasun...acement-players

I voted a resounding no, as AHL and WHL teams are located within close proximity of most major Canadian cities anyways, so hockey is still available to an extent.

#2 AriGold

AriGold

Hairy Old

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293,205 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

Imagine if they did that and owners made seasons ticket holders tickets start. All to watch Jason Krog be the captain of the canucks lol..

Just saying of course as an example.

Posted Image

#3 Bombastik der Teutone

Bombastik der Teutone

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,005 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

um...no

#4 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,644 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

Where would the players come from?!? Wouldn't they to be unsigned by all the other leagues? (ie. suck ballz)

#5 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,933 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

I have a better question:

Would you pay regular ticket prices to see replacement players? I'm sure the answer would be a resounding no.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#6 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,849 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

Here's the issue with using replacement players:
- The quality of NHL players would drop so that the AHL, KHL and probably the SEL would have better hockey.
- The NHL wouldn't be able to charge the prices they do so the owners wouldn't make near the money they could by just giving players a better deal.
- Also, since the NHL doesn't own the Stanley Cup, the trustees who control it would likely award it to another league.

Now here's where some speculation comes in:
- That other league (probably the AHL) would become the premier league in the world with the chance to play for the Stanley Cup and they'd be able to charge more for tickets and gain more sponsorship and TV deals.
- Since the AHL has it's own union, and since most players have played in the AHL at one point or another, they'd already be a part of that union and likely look to join the new best league in the world.
- Player's salaries would increase as a result, and the AHL would effectively become the old NHL.

Edited by elvis15, 24 November 2012 - 11:14 AM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#7 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,265 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

2012/13 season? Well if it goes through next season, find replacement fans!
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#8 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

I think it's important to have something to look forward to in terms of pro hockey in Canada.

There are a lot of pro players out there that are very skilled. I am not advocating that the NHL charge full price for 'scabs' as it were, but each team could have 'tryout squads' similar to pre-season, and get some decent games out of it.

You never know, a 'late bloomer' might be finally discovered.

Or not, I can watch junior and be happy also.
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#9 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,612 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

I have not read the article, but here is why I would say yes, get replacement players now before the season is lost.

I have no sympathy for millionaire players, i just can't see their case, aside from the 'principle' of it..and the 'principle' is hey loser: here is a million bucks to skate around and entertain us...oh that is not enough? Well, then i will find someone else.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#10 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

I have not read the article, but here is why I would say yes, get replacement players now before the season is lost.

I have no sympathy for millionaire players, i just can't see their case, aside from the 'principle' of it..and the 'principle' is hey loser: here is a million bucks to skate around and entertain us...oh that is not enough? Well, then i will find someone else.

While I think a lot of NHL players have an exagerated idea of their worth going to replacement players would be a last ditch effort by ownership. If it came to that it would work over time. Such an effort would have a major impact on the league and throw its professionalism into question.

Even though i am against replacement players it is an ownership option. If it happens I cannot see it happening until Nov/13 at the earliest. Hopefully two rational groups will form out of this who can come to a deal.

#11 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,078 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

If they go with replacement players, I go with replacement entertainment.

#12 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

Using replacement employees is against the law in B.C. and a few other places.... that is in addition to the fact that sponsors, ticket holders, and broadcasters aren't going to go for it.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#13 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,612 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

I had a much longer thing written but at the end i deleted it and went with a glib comment.

I believe that 19 out of 23 players per team would rejoin the league, perhaps more, but Boston alone has 19 players making around 4million or less each who average 2million, or 38million total..the other 4 players cost them another 20million+...

..this 'gap' between the two sides right now is all about the 4 players per team that cost that team 20million and more. I am not sure the other 19 guys on any given team want to suffer any longer for the sake of those 4 dudes.

EDIT: and yes i get it...the idea of "And whose fault is it that 4 dudes on a team cost more than 20million dollars.."

but the thing is that under the old CBA those were legal deals, that CBA no longer exists and so frankly, the terms of a new CBA may just have to reduce the money those 4 dudes are getting.

Am I anti Player? No, i am a fan of the players, certainly, but not really Crosby, or Gretzky or Ovechhkin, I could care less about them...Burrows, now there is a guy, the Twins who right after getting their 6million each gave 1.5m of it to a local charity and another couple million of it to a charitable venture back in sweden..

I could go on, but the guys that are angling towards 'why i deserve nearly ten million a year for every year' don't have my sympathy whatsoever, and frankly i doubt they have the sympathy of any player who makes less than the league average of 2.4million dollars. The less thans more than outnumber the more thans and its those less than average paid guys who lose the most because their window of opportunity is so much smaller. Stay in Russia Ovie...lets get Burr back on the ice.

Edited by Primal Optimist, 24 November 2012 - 03:54 PM.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#14 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,612 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

Using replacement employees is against the law in B.C. and a few other places.... that is in addition to the fact that sponsors, ticket holders, and broadcasters aren't going to go for it.

I could see a scenario where the league would say "we will honour any contracted player who shows up, on a prorated basis, but going forward, any new contracts must fit under the new system, or they can not be registered" and that would open the door to both kissing off the NHLPA and allowing anyone with a contract to come play...thus no 'scab' players.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#15 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

According to a TSN tweet, the top 5 AHL scorers right now are locked out NHLers. It goes to show that the average talent level of AHLers is not yet to the level we're accustomed to seeing. Putting those players in NHL jerseys won't make them more impressive than they are now, nor will it make them true NHLers if they don't have to earn it the hard way.

Plus, taking players en masse from the AHL teams would likely only damage the revenues and reputations of 2 leagues, so I can't imagine there would be any real gains to be had (particularly for the NHL teams that own their AHL affiliate).

In short, replacement players are bad for hockey, bad for both leagues, and especially bad for fans.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#16 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,644 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

I would rather keep my money than giving it tithe owners for a sub-quality product...

#17 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,800 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

Here's a Hockeys Future thread from the last lockout discussing an interesting angle about theoretical replacement players: immigration and work visa laws. Not that I know much about it personally, but what they're arguing in the discussion is that, under American laws, no visas can be issued during a work stoppage. So the 23 American teams would not only have to cobble together a team from players willing to cross the line, they'd have to be American citizens.

http://hfboards.hock...p/t-132516.html

(note that our own Wetcoaster is in there taking on attackers from all sides like a freakin' legal ninja!)

ps I guess if you're looking for a silver lining there, it'd all but guarantee the Cup returning to Canada.

#18 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

I believe that 19 out of 23 players per team would rejoin the league, perhaps more, but Boston alone has 19 players making around 4million or less each who average 2million, or 38million total..the other 4 players cost them another 20million+...

Well it doesn't make sense from my perspective. Fehr is not the commissioner, he doesn't wield that kind of power of veto. If the majority of players 19 out of 23 players were OK with taking the deal they would take it. No need for decertification or any of that nonsense. We have not heard any real calls for a vote on any owner's offer, and they have the power to ask for that.

Why would they all become scab players rather than just simply vote to start playing as a union and not cause all sorts of issues in the dressing room? I don't see your logic.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#19 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,849 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:18 AM

I don't see the logic either. If that many players would go against the union why wouldn't the union just vote to accept the NHLs offer? Or, the union could just decertify and sue the NHL so the whole thing would shut down unless the NHL decides to put up a better offer.

I don't think there's a point where the NHL would be able to use replacement players that were comprised of even some NHL players, or even AHL players (since they have their own union). People love to ignore all of that and think there'd be any way the games would be worth watching/paying for at anywhere near the level we had been used to.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#20 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,548 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:33 AM

If they started using replacement player I would be less interested in the NHL and wouldn't be willing to pay full ticket price. The whole point of the NHL is that it's supposed to be the highest level of play in the world, filled with the best players. Lose that and it becomes just another minor pro league.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.