The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2013 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships

AriGold

Watching Ryan Murphy skate the puck up the ice only to fire a worthless, weak shot from far out and then subsequently leaving his D-partner out to dry all tournament was painful.

Sure looked like leaving Corrado off was a mistake.

The mystery for me, is why the coach continued to play Murphy in such key situations when clearly he wasn't producing offensively and he was a defensive liability every time he was on the ice.

Goalies got hung out to dry.

The coach of Canada is his coach on the team he plays on. He played favourites. Think of it like AV and Rome, or Raymond.

Every time Murphy fracked up, which was often, the coach just gave him more and more time. It seemed like he was out there for 40 minutes. And he didn't earn it at all. The whole tournament he has sucked. And he kept getting played.. over.. and over.

Honestly I have no issue with Gaudreau but I think JS has a better chance than Johnny Hockey.

Comparing where Schroeder was at the age Gaudreau currently is, he was stronger and better defensively, if Gaudreau can follow along those lines he can make it too but he isn't a sure thing, niether is JS but I would give the edge to JS.

Um, BC plays on 200x85 ice aka NHL ice. Get your facts straight

And you seem to be underestimating the strength of NCAA players, basically men and Johnny seem to be doing fine.

By your standards Schroeder won't make the NHL either, sorry to break it to ya bud

This score almost flatters Canada. The goal they got shouldn't even have counted.

Scheifele, Huberdeau and Strome are just brutal if the aren't producing offence. Sadly I think Nuge sort of covered for their poor play. Those guys do so little else on the ice that they need to be scoring to justify all the ice time they are getting. Granted the depth players could have buried a goal or two more than they did.

Hamilton was a total disappointment.

Subban was probably the wrong choice but he wasn't terrible.

MacKinnon wasn't to good but he also didn't get much of a shot. I would have like to see him get a shot with Nuge.

I didn't like the line combos at all. The top 2 lines were so soft. It's fine to try and see if it works, but once you see it wasn't working they needed to switch it up. I would have like to have seen Mackinnon, Camara or Jenner play with Nuge and keep Ritchie with Strome. Scheifele and Huberdeau got more ice time then they deserved and Rattie didn't fit in with the scoring lines.

The defence seemed to be missing that number one guy. I think if Hamilton was as good as people expected the Defence would have been fine.

It's funny but the lockout may have actually hurt this team in the long run. They wouldn't have had the talent but they probably would have been a harder working more physical team and that may have gotten them father then this. One thing is for sure, this was no dream team.

Half of the league plays on rinks bigger than the standard NHL sized rinks. They don't only play at home you know ;) My facts are fine.

He's doing fine, but not great. A small player needs to be great to make it over a bigger player. It's just the way it goes.

Schroeder has a better skill set than Gaudreau and he's got about 20 pounds of muscle on him. The odds are stacked against Schroeder too, but I think he's definitely got a better chance than a one dimensional player like Gaudreau.

Schroeder was on the top PK unit for the US in the WJ, correct me if I am wrong but I don't think Gaudreau was on the PK all that often in this tourney.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue's with Gaudreau but he isn't a sure thing, and Schroeder has alot more of the tools it takes for small players to succeed than Gaudreau does.

He is better down low, better defensively, is stronger, stronger on his skates and otherwise, and I think he is faster too, offensively they are a bit different but the same IMO in there own ways, but the other areas do favour Schroeder.

For your (Flames fans) sake hopefully he can over come these things and work hard at it like Schroeder did and continues too, but I wouldn't treat it like he is a sure thing.

The problem is the team has to many "locks" even before camp starts. Funny, most of the D locks were terrible.

To political.

To much NHL influence.

Worry about things like amount of sunshine and not on ice chemistry or product.

Basically we're a stuck up country and have forgotten the basics of winning.

Being a high pick doesn't mean you're a winner. Tangibles.

Schroeder lead his team in points in both years in college. And was named assistant Captain. I'd say he did pretty good.

He's playing in the AHL now anyways, so what he did in college doesn't mean much. He's showing now that he can play against men, and go toe to toe with other teams top prospects.

In goal its like arguing whether Lou let us down in the final. Well the team got outplayed, but we all know teams rally around their goalie when he saves their bacon a few times!.

The real truth is the team was flat. If guys win a spot playing their press clippings and hearing scouts espouse their size and athleticism instead of hustling, outhitting, outworking and earning your spot in camp and prelim games??? it's logical there will be games where those same players get outplayed in the tourney. Ryan Murphy got walked around by Goudreau embarassingly for a goal tonight, and was never effective. Reinhart did not play well all tourney, and Subban himself was hot and cold.

I put this on Sprott; there was no accountability to make guys earn their role and ice time. Where was the fore check and the pressure we saw that caused Jones to cough it up for 2 goals in the earlier game? Instead the US defence was allowed to walk out of their end and join the rush. The game plan was allowed to go walkabouts here, nobody got their feet moving!

For a team this stacked, a bronze (if that) isn't going to look so pretty.

I'll say it again about the goaltending, yes Subban had a great game vs Russia, yes the first 2 goals tonight were impossible to stop, but the kid hasn't looked all that sharp all tourny. 3 GA from Germany, 3 GA from Slovakia, losing to U of A and Finland, these should have given the coach a better indication of what kind of goaltending Subban offers. Binnington on the otherhand was solid in the pre-tourny games, and made a series of big saves to keep the team in it tonight. I hope Binnington gets the start for the bronze game.

He wasn't because Trocheck, Biggs, Bardreau, and Hartman are all better than him in that department. Doesn't mean he's bad defensively by default.

We shall see when he turns pro next year

I'm not saying he's a sure thing, but seems like pro scout DeNiro thinks he's nothing but a sack of shjt

Archived