The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2013 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships

AriGold

Really wish we, as Canadians, could just suck up the loss and move on. Losing is bad enough, why make it worse by acting like such poor losers.

Nobody complained about the tournaments format when Canada won five straight gold. In 2008 in Pardubice, Sweden beat Canada in the round robin, but Canada won gold in OT. Nobody from Sweden was up in arms, complaining that Sweden had scored more goals on aggregate.

This is the format of the tournament, it isn't a surprise. It is the responsibility of the coach to prepare his players. This was not done.

I will be cheering for Team USA. I like their approach to the game, they play fast and hard and get the job done with the skills they have. They don't have the RNH's or Huberdeau's or Scheiffle's, but they play to their strengths and do it with class. Good luck to those kids.

Honestly, I thought Subban was quite average during WJC selection camp, and although I don't think he should have been cut, I am not sure he should have been the starter. There's no doubt he can play goal, but he had some real shaky moments in this tournament.

Subban looks good when the Canada defense is playing well, but the true test of a goalie is whether or not he can make a big save during a moment of defensive weakness. There were times when the US defense broke down and Gibson bailed out his team, and looking back between the two games, Gibson had to make many more of the 'difficult' stops that Subban did. (Shot quantity doesn't always reflect shot quality)

TSN loved to make a big deal out of Subban's play when Canada was winning, but to be honest, I thought he was just average. I think Canada would be in the same spot if Binnington had played those games. Honestly, I would have liked to have seen Brossoit between the pipes, he was the goalie they shouldn't have cut IMO.

That said ,these are all tough choices, and it's easy to make the 'right' choice in hindsight. I think more people would have fun enjoying the tournament if they watched it for the great hockey as opposed to centering around only their country's team. If you don't take it too seriously, the WJC is a great tournament to watch every year no matter what.

Binnington gets the start over Subban tomorrow for the bronze medal game. Canada played a poor game in the semis. A few weak goals on Subban for sure, but the team in front of him didn't help him out at all. Wonder what kind of energy the Russians will have. They don't want to finish off the podium in front of their home fans.

Guest Gumballthechewy

he said "in the usa" not "american"

and technically I have my citizenship now...still don't self identify as american though.

Archived