The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2013 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships

AriGold

Camara's hit, although not "clean", was within the rules. The Slovak had his head down. There's going to be incidental contact. He did not target the head. Yes there is responsibility on the hitter, but the player receiving the hit needs to be aware of his surroundings, know who is on the ice and brace himself for a potential hit.

The Lipon hit was dirty and a one game suspension is fair. Unlike Camara, Lipon left his feet, hit high, got his arms up and targeted the head.

He was never going to let up, that's obvious. he wanted to do that and did it, he shouldn't have. But still he didn't want to let up and he didn't.

And putting all that aside because it has been done to death but your comment about knee on knee hits and the slovakias being dirty and stuff is kind of interesting.

There was only one play that one could think of as dirty, the knee on knee which honestly I don't think was an intentional knee on knee, & aside from that they didn't do anything dirty, the other incident with Schefiele that you might be thinking of wasn't a dirty play, the Canadian shot it from the point, the Slovakian and Schefiele both moved and reacted to the shot, Schefiele was turning akwardly and the Slovakian pushed him but honestly it was also a bit of Schefiele running into him, he lost his balance and feel akwardly, I don't see how it was dirty at all Schefiele just ran into him. and I didn't see any other dirty plays myself, so I don't really buy that it was the refs fault for the Luza thing or that you can justify him not holding up with the "getting someone back" excuse cause there wasn't anything to get back for.

(And also to back up that Slovakia isn't a dirty team, I watch the entire game against Russia and the Russian were some dirty & careless things and the Slovaks never did anything back, they never got caught up in that stuff, they just stayed resiliant and stuck to there game.)

And even if you think that hit was a knee on knee hit (Which if you watch I don't think it was, the Slovak was turning before he was close to Schefiele just could move fast enough, the camera angle on TSN is akward and tough to judge with 100% positivity but he didn't stick out his knee IMO), Lipon had already given that other guy a pretty nice headshot as retribution.

Edit: And if you think there was any other dirty plays aside from that then let me know.

Schefiele took 3 knee on knee hits himself. They tried it on Nuge but missed a couple times. Beyond that were tons of high sticks and late hits behind the play. It was not an isolated incident that led to Lipon's hit and, despite his major, Canada still feeling they needed to make more serious hits. Refs weren't doing their job.

Also for other examples of refs (and linesmen) being crap, check out goal 6 in the RUS v GER game. A Russian makes a pass from behind his blue line to 2 Russians entering the offensive zone. They would have been offside even if they received the pass because of their positions but then a German player intercepts it and it bounces into the zone a bit. Russians retrieve it INSIDE the offensive zone and a goal results. These refs are amateurs.

I can't believe you guys are still going on about the Camara hit, it was clean deal with it. At the time of the hit it absolutely warranted a penalty, but not a game misconduct. Camara is one of the guys we will need when we face the US.

Having said that, Camara is now one of my favourite players at the WJC, and I will look for him on the ice against USA. I just hate that he's a Boston pick.

Camara's hit shouldn't be up for discussion. 2 min minor charging at the very most.

The Lipon hit, I could see why it was a suspension. But I feel like it wouldn't be a suspension if it was against a Canadian, because he would've gotten right up from that. Nothing for the Slovak's knee-on-knees, I see.

Since we are a forward short vs the Americans, I think Murphy should play up front. He is brutal defensively and after his mistake last game, was only on the ice for the PP.

Might as well put him on the 4th line and then on the blue line during the PP.

Archived