2774 replies to this topic

#271 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,275 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:49 AM

Finland is looking like the team to beat so far. I know it's early, but you can tell this is one of the better teams Finland has iced.

They're tenacious fore-checkers and they've got a surprising amount of skill. Barkov is also a great player.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#272 vv2

vv2

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:52 AM

Finland is looking like the team to beat so far. I know it's early, but you can tell this is one of the better teams Finland has iced.

They're tenacious fore-checkers and they've got a surprising amount of skill. Barkov is also a great player.

yeah agree with you 100% some people were laughing at me when I told them that Finland will beat Canada in the game they had couple of days ago
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#273 Kyosama

Kyosama

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:15 AM

It's pre-tournament. They've also been on home ice for both games. They have a great team and I'll be happy for them if they place, but if I were a betting man I wouldn't bet on them winning a medal.

Biggest surprise for me this game is how invisible Galchenyuk has been. US as a whole hasn't been great but my expectations were highest for him.

#274 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

North Dakota feeling is fully erased.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#275 Hedman

Hedman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

I love Jenners type of game, but seriously, he should stop doing such stupid things. I hope he gets suspended and doesn't return.

#276 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

We did not appear dynamic in an underwhelming win; but some positives.

Better goaltending by Binnington.
Huberdeau and Scheifele both looked like they could steal the puck anytime they hounded a Swedish D with the puck.
Pretty goal by Drouin.
Strome looked more active, maybe he will improve again when line mate Ritchie comes back from injury...

And the wonder as to whether Jenner will be suspended, or whether they bring up someone else in case he does? It was certainly a late play, but I am curious what broke his ribs. Did he hit him with his stick?

#277 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

The game was again disappointing. Far to many penalties and the team looked flat again. To be fair they played the whole game with less than 11 forwards and a period and a bit with just 10 forwards. Binnington looked pretty solid but how did Wotherspoon get on this team?????????? He's awful. The whole Jenner incident was just bizarre. The hit was late but not overly violent. The Swedish player had a lot of time to prepare for the hit but just looked out of it before he even got hit. There must not be enough hitting in European leagues. In North America you'd be expecting that hit.

#278 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

Lp
Posted Image

#279 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

Nice statement hit by Jenner there.

Medal game? No hit. (At least i think he's smart enough.)

Same thing every year. Big bad Canadians bullying impish euros in a penalty-fest. Yawn.
Posted Image

#280 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

I`m going to say this now, before the actual tournament starts...but I think the Canucks should try and trade for some of the boys on Team FINLAND. Ristolainen looks like he would be a perfect future d-partner with Edler. Both are big,mean and can hit. Edler is offensive, while Ristolainen is a tenacious fore-checking DFD.

Both Markus, and Mikael Granlund look to be future studs, with Markus maybe coming at a lower cost to obtain.
Joel Armia is a beasty power-forward who could really add size at Centre position in the future.

Both Barkov, and Ristolainen would be traded for as draft picks and hopefully still be available when we picked. TOR would probably be the easiest trading partner to obtain a top 5 pick. The other would proabably need to be a top 10 pick, or even top 15 to secure Ristolainen.

Long story short,
I`m hoping the Canucks snag a few of these Talented young Finn`s who I see going very far in this year`s WJC.
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#281 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

I love Jenners type of game, but seriously, he should stop doing such stupid things. I hope he gets suspended and doesn't return.

I hope he doesn't get suspended. Jenner is a tough player that can make good plays and finish. What he did was stupid for sure, but to lose Jenner would not help Canada's chances.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#282 Hedman

Hedman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

I hope he doesn't get suspended. Jenner is a tough player that can make good plays and finish. What he did was stupid for sure, but to lose Jenner would not help Canada's chances.

I agree Jenner would be very hard to replace with his good all-round game. It doesn't hurt my team though since i'm a swede ;)

But given the history of Jenner, with the spearing on Kuznetsov last year and the Maata hit, it's time for him to wake up and mature before it's too late.

Also, Pettersson out for the tournament with a dislocated shoulder and a fractured wrist. Jenner should at least get a suspension. If he doesn't get one, it would be nothing but horrible.

#283 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

I think it's clear that Drouin and Mackinnon should both be regular players in the top-six at this point. They're both playing with energy and getting results. Spott needs to stop playing favorites, stop giving minutes to players with "seniority" and give minutes to the players who are performing.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#284 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

I agree Jenner would be very hard to replace with his good all-round game. It doesn't hurt my team though since i'm a swede ;) But given the history of Jenner, with the spearing on Kuznetsov last year and the Maata hit, it's time for him to wake up and mature before it's too late. Also, Pettersson out for the tournament with a dislocated shoulder and a fractured wrist. Jenner should at least get a suspension. If he doesn't get one, it would be nothing but horrible.

You do have a very good point. He is a repeat offender and it does seem like he hasn't learned his lesson after the first time.
I guess we will see if he gets disciplined for his actions here. I couldn't see why he wouldn't get suspended for it.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#285 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

Markus Granlund looks good even out of Mikael's shadow

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#286 Bombastik der Teutone

Bombastik der Teutone

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,623 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

26th Canada vs. Germany...i´m wondering if its anywhere on a european sports channel

hope it wont be a massacra and draisaitl , kahun and co. will play some good hockey

179zig.jpg

Credits to Discord for the Signature

iqbl75.jpgCDCGML St.Louis Blues Rosteriqbl75.jpg

"You dream to score your first goal in the NHL. You dream to be here, first of all. To score a hat-trick, that's just an added bonus.Josh Jooris"

#287 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

If Binnington isn't the starter for this tourny they've made a huge mistake.
Subban has been horribly unimpressive, and after that performance Binnington has without a doubt shown he is a better choice.

I love Jenner, and am usually one to defend borderline dirty hits, but there was nothing borderline about this one, it came way too late. However it wasn't overly malicious outside of the timing. I expect a 1 or 2 game suspension.

Edited by Jägermeister, 22 December 2012 - 01:35 PM.

Jagermeister.jpg

#288 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

Jenner is a wild dog.

#289 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,728 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Not impressed by the defense. Goaltender's going to have to steal this tournament OR offense is going to have to carry the team on it's back and win 8-7 type games.

#290 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

Binnington looked very good out there. I hope for a change Canada has good goaltending in this tourney.
Wotherspoon not looking good so far. Why him over Corrado?
Reinharrt looked really slow out there.
Scheifele and Strome drive me up the wall sometimes. Scheifele's repeated soft turnovers aren't working for me. If that line doesn't start clicking I'd like to see a more energy type player playing with Huberdeau and Nuge that can get pucks and create space for them. Same with Strome, if he doesn't start producing I'd have no problem putting MacKinnon in his spot.
Jenner shouldn't have followed through on that hit. I hope he's not out more than 2 games.
I hate when Canada are so stationary on the powerplay. They do have the skill so hopefully it's just a matter of getting use to playing with each other.

#291 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

I just noticed we haven't scored a power play goal yet. That is unacceptable as we are far too talented of a team. Remember the years with P.K. Subban when he was a force on the power play. That power play was unpredictable, something that Spott needs to match.

#292 bieksallent01

bieksallent01

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

#293 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,476 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

Yeah Finland looks really good, and I even thought Sweden looked great earlier today, were lucky they don't have Klefbom, Brodin, Zibanejad, exc. Or else they would be even better than they already are.

Our team maybe better than usual but I don't see us as clear favorites like in past lockout years, the Fins, Swedes and even the American's look good. Then you can never count the Russian's out either.

zackass.png

#294 FullMetalOilDrum

FullMetalOilDrum

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy8CmsRTmfc&feature=youtu.be

This is awesome, awesome this is awesome! :towel:
Respect my favorite team, and I will respect yours.

#295 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

I like Canada's tough game but hopefully they aren't as undisciplined as they were last year. International officials can be very touchy so discipline will be important. Jenner's hit was definitely interference, but other than it was okay (basically a lot like Rome's hit). I don't think it deserves a suspension but this is international hockey so who knows

Edited by etsen3, 22 December 2012 - 09:46 PM.

#296 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,445 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

Really unimpressed by Canada's defense. They look good on paper but aren't really living up to expectations.

-Murphy looks pretty bad positionally

-Wotherspoon looks shaky at times

-Reinhart seems slow and isn't looking very good compared to when he plays with his junior team

Sproul and Corrado should have made the team.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#297 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

The Canadian coaches do seem to get outsmarted when we go over there and play our tough-but-dumb game. We will always have a very talented team, but usually not the best coaching. It looks like Jenner will have to be sent home because of this approach.

#298 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

I hope Binnington starts he deserved it, if he doesnt, this whole selection process is a pile of crap.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#299 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,926 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:14 AM

Team USA cuts Brady Skjei and Steffan Matteau as per Mark Masters.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#300 canuktravella

canuktravella

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:58 AM

canadas coach is worse than a/v and murphy over corrado was a bad choice
team canada wont go far if they take 9 penalties a game play hard play clean

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.