2774 replies to this topic

#2371 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,165 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

Oh wow what a goal! Now Russia must score...

Wow what a game!! And we will see Canada/Russia once again, Can't wait, this will be 2 exciting games.

darnit.

I'm going to sleep, nice watching game with you Smassian

Me too, nice watching with you aswell WHL.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 03 January 2013 - 08:30 AM.

zackass.png

#2372 Canuck or Die

Canuck or Die

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

YES!!!! SUCK IT, RUSSIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We WILL be drinking from Lord Stanley's Cup soon, Canucks Nation!

Posted Image

#2373 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,752 posts

Great now we probably won't even get a bronze because Russia will be mad.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#2374 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

darnit.

I'm going to sleep, nice watching game with you Smassian

#2375 mrsasaki

mrsasaki

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

Well looks like all the awards are coming to America

Best goalie: John Gibson
Best defenseman: Jacob Trouba
Best forward: Jonny Gaudreau

Wouldn't be surprised if most of the all-star team is American too. Probably something like:

Gaudreau - Nugent-Hopkins - Granlund
Jones - Trouba
Gibson

Unless someone does something amazing in the medal/relegation games
CDC Sim Connected: Nashville GM
LOB (PS3): Boston GM

#2376 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

Wow can't believe Canada could actually finish without a medal which would break the streak of how many years?

#2377 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,316 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

Knew this team would struggle in big games from the beginning. No real impact players on this team that can take a team over. Hopkins doesnt have it in him to step up like a john tavares.

Subbancopy.jpg

#2378 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,316 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

This will end up being the best game of the year, NHL or no NHL.

Unless the Canucks win the cup then the deciding game would be better.....

If the NHL comes back nobody will even remember this tournament. Schneider gets a shutout best game of the Century!!!

Subbancopy.jpg

#2379 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

Didn't think it would happen because of how we played Russia but I did have a hunch that something like this could happen because of Team Canada's extra day off.

#2380 4four4

4four4

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

If the NHL comes back nobody will even remember this tournament.

If that is what makes you feel better after a loss.
"It was the 500th game in franchise history for the Wild, who began play in 2000. With a total record of 215-194-90 record (.521), the Wild have the seventh-best win percentage of any active franchise after its first 500 games.

'We should acknowledge the debt the world owes to the United States for its leadership in this fight against international terrorism.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown

#2381 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,316 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

If that is what makes you feel better after a loss.

I'm neutral, wasn't emotionally invested in this from the beginning. After Corrado was shafted for the Coaches guy and a high 1st rounder who he outplayed.
So I feel no better, no worse from this loss.

Subbancopy.jpg

#2382 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

Never been more disappointed in a Canadian Team. It's not that they lost, because everyone does at one point. It's how they had no heart. Even when we lost last year to Russia we fought to the very last second. This team seemed to give up as soon as they scored their first goal. Subban was awful and everyone else followed him. i don't know how players such as Murphy, Reinhart, Ritchie, McNiel, Lipon got on this team. They are horrible. Corrado and Sproul should have easily made this team. The coach had already made his team before the try outs and he gave the benefit to the doubt that Murphy would play good. But he didn't he was awful the whole tournament. Canada has to re-think how they make their teams. I don't care if we win or lose. I just want to see effort and passion. This team has none of it. With RNH this team probably wouldn't of even made it to semis. Pathetic.

/End of Rant

Edited by Garrison, 03 January 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#2383 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Well, I called it. Subban's top shelf would come back to haunt us in an elimination game. The team may have played like crap but we could have used a couple big saves to keep this a 2 goal game.

There was no question who the better goalie was after pre tournament and spott decided to go with His Subban hunch anyways.

When goaltending has been our biggest issue over the past few years why would he go with the guy letting in every high wrist shot from the slot.

Edited by thad, 03 January 2013 - 12:28 PM.

#2384 pibroch

pibroch

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

i'm sure someone already said this but, they should have taken Corrado...

#2385 pibroch

pibroch

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

I'm neutral, wasn't emotionally invested in this from the beginning. After Corrado was shafted for the Coaches guy and a high 1st rounder who he outplayed.
So I feel no better, no worse from this loss.

Same.

#2386 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

Being the best team in the tournament means nothing when it gets down to 1 game elimination. Just like being the best team in the regular season in the NHL means nothing come playoff time

#2387 puckluv

puckluv

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

what bugs me is how the coach pushed his players under the bus. if they were flat that is his fault, his job is to inspire, to give them the tools to have impact. i don't know anything about the coach but my impression is he is a turd....just sayin'

and as for subban, he made some good saves and he was screened on the first two (i went to sleep after the first period) the canadian team was chasing their tail from the first puck drop, maybe nerves? why nerves when they had already won some key games? it was vigilante hockey, no coordinated break out, it looked like lunch time hockey from the canadian team.

the coach needed to call a time out in the first period to regroup his team.

It is one thing to lose but to lose in that fashion was just embarassing, we should have been playing for gold.

thanks for letting me rant. i know they are just kids, i don't blame them for being human, but i do blame the coaching staff cuz fans don't want bronze, we want gold and to say oooh we can go for the bronze now, whoop de do... who cares? i say fire that coach, get some new blood in there ;)

Always turn a negative situation into a positive situation. Michael Jordon

#2388 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,078 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

LP
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#2389 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,386 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

Well........that sucks.

2qn360i.jpg

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2390 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,135 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

I hate to dwell on it but, Sproul and Corrado would have been much better for Canada's defense.

Even Dumba would have been a better choice than Murphy, he looked horrible.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#2391 Intoewsables

Intoewsables

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,989 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Really tough game to watch. TSN can try to blame it on rust or whatever, but Sweden looked fantastic in the exact same position as us. No excuses for that kind of performance.

- Top line was nowhere near good enough. Nugent-Hopkins had a couple flashes of brilliance but the production needs to be there in a game like this. Drouin was good for a 17 year old but not enough. Scheifele looked more asleep than I was for most of the game and really dragged that line down IMO. Never been a huge fan.

- Not convinced Huberdeau was even dressed for tonight. Absolutely invisible.

- Boone Jenner was one of the lone bright spots for us. Fantastic penalty killer and even if his offense fails to translate at the next level, it's pretty easy to see that he'll be a useful player in the NHL.

- Thought Subban was okay. Pretty tough to blame him for some of the horrid defending in front of him (entire team collapsing right in front of him on the first goal, Ryan Murphy trying to play defense, etc.). Binnington looked very strong and I imagine he'll be getting the nod for the Bronze medal game, but who really knows with Spott.

- As mentioned, the defense was absolutely horrifying. Harrington was definitely the best of them all, but still nothing special. Reinhart/Ouellet/Wotherspoon were okay but again, nowhere near good enough to win. Hamilton looked dazed and confused all tournament long and this game was no different. Murphy's a great puck-mover but it's painfully obvious that he lacks any sort of hockey IQ, especially in the defensive end. Gotta think he's one of the final cuts if anyone else is coaching.

- Very questionable coaching decisions in this game, but we're used to that at this point. MacKinnon still stuck on the fourth line, Murphy being spoonfed as much ice-time as possible, etc. Not to use Spott as a scapegoat for such a lacklustre effort, but he certainly wasn't doing this team any favours.

- USA looked very well prepared and really played a heck of a game. Strong defensive effort and Gibson was stellar in the third period when they needed him the most. Should have had the shutout but apparently international rules allow for goals after the whistle is blown. Whatever.

All in all, probably one of the most disappointing tournaments for a Canadian WJC team. The comparisons to the last lockout team were unfair, but having an NHL-quality player in Ryan Nugent-Hopkins should have propelled us over the top. Instead, you see a team battered by injuries to top players/having players withheld in Sweden making it to the finals in impressive fashion, while the "best team on paper" will be in tough to win Bronze. Again.

Edited by Intoewsables, 03 January 2013 - 01:43 PM.

willaaaaaaah_zpse642bb0f.png

CDC Elite Hockey League // Tampa Bay Lightning

#2392 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,420 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

I'm not even sure where this Spott comes from but I was worried about his lack of credentials, and the team he selected right from the beginning.

We looked pathetic the entire game and couldn't even string a pass together, or get wihin 15 feet of there net. Saying that I saw their lack of getting around the ice with purpose a problem right from the start.

I have never turned off a a Canadian game before late, late, in the third period ... didn't even watch this one.

Our defence looked like a bunch of Marc-Andre Bergeron's out there. Damit.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#2393 Dakattack92

Dakattack92

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Any idea on how to unsubscribe? I know it's not related

#2394 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

They played with no passion or anything how embarrassing and I'm not a fan of the coach either.

I though Schieffle kept bringing down the play of the top line I don't know why the coach couldn't see this.

Corrado should have made it...

Maybe next year we can get a coach who doesn't pick his team before camp starts? He even said Drouin wasn't going to be invited untill his assistant coach convinced him. What a tool. I don't even follow the CHL barely and even I knew Drouin should have got an invite for sure.

I think Huberdeau is a little overhyped, he was outshone by a lot of players the whole tourny.

My top 2 lines would have been

Huberdeau-RNH-Rattie
Drouin-Strome-Mackinnon (I know Mackinnon is a center but his and Drouins chemistry more then make up for it.)

and Binnington would have played.

Edited by TheGame., 03 January 2013 - 02:24 PM.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2395 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

This is what I hate about these one game knockout tournaments. Canada has a better overall record than the US. Canada is .500 against the US. Canada is playing for a lesser medal than the US because Canada lost the second head to head match up against the States. The States aren't necessarily better but they advance because of when the game was played.
Posted Image

#2396 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

I also didn't like TC's slogan.

I've always liked "Strength and honor" as a slogan. Just like they used in Gladiator before entering battle. Hey, you need both to win in this tournament after all. And it sounds pretty cool if you ask me.
Posted Image

#2397 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

This is what I hate about these one game knockout tournaments. Canada has a better overall record than the US. Canada is .500 against the US. Canada is playing for a lesser medal than the US because Canada lost the second head to head match up against the States. The States aren't necessarily better but they advance because of when the game was played.

We got a bye to the semifinals, I don't know how much more help we could get. If we're not going to show up ready to play then USA is more deserving of their spot in the finals.

#2398 PlayStation

PlayStation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,240 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Canada did it in 2010, Canada got lucky they won the first meeting against the US. US deserved it plain and simple.

Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#2399 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

They played like an AV coached team, really.

#2400 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

We got a bye to the semifinals, I don't know how much more help we could get. If we're not going to show up ready to play then USA is more deserving of their spot in the finals.

Which is something they were talking about on TSN last night. If you're doing really well at something, you're in the 'groove', would you really want to stop your progress and take a break? I wouldn't. I'm not just saying that for the sake of argument. It seems like that break is taking a dump on teams because the last 5 of 7 gold medal winners didn't have a bye to the semis. But I do think it's a little 'silly' how you have a better record than a certain team and you're .500 head to head against that very team yet they're dubbed as 'better' than you are. I've never liked one game knock outs anyway. Always been a fan of at least a best of 3, 5, 7, etc. Obviously for the sake of time, only the best of 3 for the medal games would actually be feasible otherwise this tournament would last for over a month.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.