2774 replies to this topic

#2731 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:12 AM

What can you do.. Spott has a hard-on for his prized junior player.

Terrible coach that looks like he's about to cry every time the cameras on him.

I don't know much about him. I've never even heard of him until about December. Why did he get the job? Because Kitchener is a better than a middle of the pack team? It seems like he's a product of the team more than the team is a product of his coaching. Kitchener has always been one of the top OHL teams.
Posted Image

#2732 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:12 AM

I wouldnt even say Russia had "chemistry."

They just had more speed and more reason to win the game.

You have to admit though, their passing was not the same calibre as Team Canada. There were a lot of outlet passes Russia made that were near-suicidal, and I am surprised Canada didn't get more turnovers. The Canadian team is more skilled, I really think the early deficit hurt them. Four powerplay goals and they still lose, they needed better goaltending from Binnington. (I know he was cold going in, relief duty doesn't really count mentally)
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#2733 Please Call 911

Please Call 911

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

Actually I wanted Brossoit to make the team instead of Binnington, but oh well.

While Binnington got lit up tonight, Brossoit had already posted a 45 save shutout for Edmonton. Ooops.

Lol, Binnington got lit up by the Russian national Junior team at the World Junior Championships...

Broissoit posted a shutout against a WHL team the Lethbridge Hurricanes in a WHL regular season game

Two completely different levels, how can you even compare them this way...

Posted Image

Please Call 911

Thanks Mash!

#2734 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:15 AM

I wouldnt even say Russia had "chemistry."

They just had more speed and more reason to win the game.

Probably. But their team work was evidently better than ours. We couldn't stop bleeding goals against to save our lives. 11 goals against in two games on a team that should finish first tells you that there is something seriously wrong.
Posted Image

#2735 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,727 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:15 AM

Lol. Don't let Ryan Murphy fool you. The reason he has 'so much offensive upside' because more than any defender out there or in recent draft history, he neglects like ALL defensive play. It is entirely the reason he has offensive upside. Because there is no redeeming defensive qualities to him. He looks more like a bad defensive forward trying to backcheck. On that last goal he pulled like a Raymond just letting the guy more or less skate by.

I don't even think 'bad' begins to describe Murphy defensively this tournament. It was less than that. I have never seen a defender, let alone even a forward, have so many costly turnovers and bad defensive habits. And he's a frigging defender.

#2736 marinated.pea

marinated.pea

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,561 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:16 AM

Surprised that Bobbo himself is bringing up the goaltending. Subban was the 2nd best goalie at the tournament, and his abilities, good or bad, did not decide the fate of this team. It was the ultimately the mental breakdown, like he said. Goaltending had nothing to do with it. I disagree that the team with the BEST goalie always wins - the best team wins, period. The team that shows up when it counts wins. The team that can handle the pressure wins.

I know it's dumb to speculate now but I can't help but think back to the bye - it really slowed the momentum for us and inversely greatly built up the American momentum. It'll be better and more fair for all teams next year without them.
Posted Image

#2737 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:19 AM

Lol. Don't let Ryan Murphy fool you. The reason he has 'so much offensive upside' because more than any defender out there or in recent draft history, he neglects like ALL defensive play. It is entirely the reason he has offensive upside. Because there is no redeeming defensive qualities to him. He looks more like a bad defensive forward trying to backcheck. On that last goal he pulled like a Raymond just letting the guy more or less skate by.

I don't even think 'bad' begins to describe Murphy defensively this tournament. It was less than that. I have never seen a defender, let alone even a forward, have so many costly turnovers and bad defensive habits. And he's a frigging defender.

I only watched him closely for the final ten minutes of this game including overtime and he was atrocious in that very small sample. It sounds like that is the norm for him though regardless if it's the WJ or the OHL.

Anyway, goodnight chaps.
Posted Image

#2738 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:27 AM

Lol, Binnington got lit up by the Russian national Junior team at the World Junior Championships...

Broissoit posted a shutout against a WHL team the Lethbridge Hurricanes in a WHL regular season game

Two completely different levels, how can you even compare them this way...

You're right. They are different levels. the CHL allows 20 year olds, so you could argue that the league is more skilled.

I was at that game. Brossoit was very good. I bet the Lethbridge Hurricanes could beat some of those WJC teams, and it's a safe bet that the Oil Kings could too.

Just because TSN isn't covering them at 3AM doesn't mean it's not a high level of amateur hockey. I have seen WHL teams that could steamroll many national WJC teams over the years.
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#2739 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,161 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:31 AM

Corrado wouldn't have help, so stop whining about him not making the team.

Honestly he would have, put him in the spot Murphy played and there are alot of bad plays aren't made, and there is no chance Corrado get's danced like Murphy did on the OT winner.

Don't think he would have carried us to a gold medal or anything but he would have helped us alot in crucial situations when our defense was brutal.

Broissot who didn't have a goal against in his showing for team Canada, stopping 37/37 shots faced, doesn't even make the team. Corrado, a guy who can be relied upon defensively, showcased 3 goals in pre tourny and Subway challenge games. BUT I suppose we will just play the highest draft picks... and finish 4th.

It's a common theme year to year, once we cut the political crap we will finally win again.

What can you do.. Spott has a hard-on for his prized junior player.

Terrible coach that looks like he's about to cry every time the cameras on him.

Absolutely, glad someone else sees this.

zackass.png

#2740 Kyosama

Kyosama

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:55 AM

You're right. They are different levels. the CHL allows 20 year olds, so you could argue that the league is more skilled.

I was at that game. Brossoit was very good. I bet the Lethbridge Hurricanes could beat some of those WJC teams, and it's a safe bet that the Oil Kings could too.

Just because TSN isn't covering them at 3AM doesn't mean it's not a high level of amateur hockey. I have seen WHL teams that could steamroll many national WJC teams over the years.

The league that has (mainly Canadian) talent diluted across 60 teams is superior to the 10 best under-20 national teams that hand-picked their rosters from any leagues they wanted? Is that a joke? Because in case you hadn't noticed, what was essentially the CHL All-Star team (the very best of those 60 teams [minus the 20 year olds]) plus an NHLer just came in 4th in that tournament. And you think Lethbridge is comparable to Russia? There is not a single CHL team that would hold a candle to any of the top 8 teams in this tournament, and no, Brossoit making a 45 save shutout in a mean nothing game in an inferior league is not an indication on how he would have fared in this tournament. He may have very well dominated, I have no idea. But neither do you, and this one game isn't proof of anything.

Edited by Kyosama, 05 January 2013 - 05:57 AM.

#2741 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,161 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

Holy that Gaudreau just freezes everyone.

zackass.png

#2742 mrsasaki

mrsasaki

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

Does anyone have a link to the tsn feed? I don't have cable, using first row and I hate these heavily biased nhl network commentators.
CDC Sim Connected: Nashville GM
LOB (PS3): Boston GM

#2743 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:37 AM

Corrado>Murphy
Broissott>Binnington
Sutter>Spott
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#2744 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,161 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

That Wikstrand is a gem, brilliant pick by Ottawa.

zackass.png

#2745 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

Obviously you have never watched Raymond play, he is one of the more dfensively responsible players on the Canucks..might as well get a good old Raymond bash going so you can get a green number beside your post.

#2746 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,161 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:43 AM

Obviously you have never watched Raymond play, he is one of the more dfensively responsible players on the Canucks..might as well get a good old Raymond bash going so you can get a green number beside your post.

Honestly I think he defensive game is overrated.

He doesn't block shots, doesn't hit, isn't gritty, he turns the puck over alot, all he has is speed, he uses his speed to cover the point quickly and force the defender to make quick descisions, other than that I don't think his defensive game is as good as many people think.

zackass.png

#2747 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:02 AM

Honestly I think he defensive game is overrated.

He doesn't block shots, doesn't hit, isn't gritty, he turns the puck over alot, all he has is speed, he uses his speed to cover the point quickly and force the defender to make quick descisions, other than that I don't think his defensive game is as good as many people think.

He does block shots he also uses that speed to back check as well as being a pretty good player on the PK. You dont get on Mr Gants PK unless you are a resposible player. Murpy on the other hand tried to play like forward and forgot what position he plays with what seems like the green light from his coatch. Over all the the team defence looked like a fire drill and the forwards were not much better in their defensive coverage.

#2748 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,161 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

He does block shots he also uses that speed to back check as well as being a pretty good player on the PK. You dont get on Mr Gants PK unless you are a resposible player. Murpy on the other hand tried to play like forward and forgot what position he plays with what seems like the green light from his coatch. Over all the the team defence looked like a fire drill and the forwards were not much better in their defensive coverage.

I'm not defending Murphy, the guy has been brutal and I knew he would be from the moment we picked him.

I just continue to maintain Raymond is an overrated defensive player, his speed is his main advantage but aside from that everything is average, somethings below average.

We can just agree to disagree though, having different opinion is no problem.

zackass.png

#2749 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,161 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

Wow the officiating in that last few minutes was brutal.

The refs missed a few clear holding calls on the States IMO, oh well congrats to the States, When I heard Jones make that comment about them being the best team & once I heard all the criticism he was taking for it, I kinda got a weird feeling that they would end up winning it, then after the 1st period against us I knew they would win. Well deserved they played great.

And Gibson is easily the MVP of the tournament, Anaheim has got a keeper there.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 05 January 2013 - 08:13 AM.

zackass.png

#2750 drdeath

drdeath

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,076 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

Good for the Americans. Those loveable little guys have come a long way from almost getting relegated last year.

aXmDa9t.gif

#2751 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

Hate to see the loss but it does = one thing, redemption for Frankie Corrado.

Perhaps if this team hadn't been chosen on paper before the tryouts even happened (based on where players were drafted, politics) vs. who was playing the best in the CHL, Canada would have had a better result.

Oh well...perhaps team Cda will learn - pretty embarrasing not to be in the medal group when you have 4-5 guys on your team with NHL experience

Edited by BuretoMogilny, 05 January 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#2752 Wesker

Wesker

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

What an awesome tournament for USA Hockey, we are the best when we play our game based on speed and skill. We absolutely dominated it and no valid excuses from Canada this time about not having the best players or fluke goals.

Note to Canada: next time you guys play in Europe bring some speed and skill and leave the goon show at home.

BTW Canada congrats on the 4th place finish you guys earned it. :)

#2753 Wesker

Wesker

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Congrats to Sweden on a well played game and a well deserved silver medal, the were clearly the best team the USA faced this tournament.

Very classy people the Swedes. :)

Edited by Wesker, 05 January 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#2754 van_ws

van_ws

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

Hope this will be a lesson learned for Team Canada, though it is clear that they were not good enough. I am very disappointed that they couldn't even bring home a medal, even with several NHL'ers on the roster.

#2755 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

Hate to see the loss but it does = one thing, redemption for Frankie Corrado.

Perhaps if this team hadn't been chosen on paper before the tryouts even happened (based on where players were drafted, politics) vs. who was playing the best in the CHL, Canada would have had a better result.

Oh well...perhaps team Cda will learn - pretty embarrasing not to be in the medal group when you have 4-5 guys on your team with NHL experience

maybe Canada needs to take a page out of Herb Brooks' coaching/player selection playbook. Not looking for the best players, look for the right players.

#2756 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,692 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Sadly that's two out of three predictions I'm right in.

Canada wins Spengler Cup. Check.
Canada would be lucky to get a bronze in the World Juniors. Sadly, Check.
For the Trifecta, the NHL will have to lose the season.

Man, I'm sure hope I'm wrong.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#2757 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,295 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

The Corrado Curse.

Subbancopy.jpg

#2758 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 68,453 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

"There's always next year!"

307mg00.jpg

#2759 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,489 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

i hope next year players make it based on the evaluation camp i have a feeling a lot of players made it based on favoritism

#2760 kurtis

kurtis

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

I hear our goalies ain't that good this year???
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.