The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2013 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships

AriGold

Did anyone else see the two giveaways Murphy made in the final ten minutes? I did. I said to myself I'd bench the kid because he looks like a liability. It's just one of those feelings -- when you know something is going to go wrong.

True story. Not just saying that either since he ultimately made another gaff and cost us.

Great move by the Russian player, sure, but would that have happened if it was Harrington? Doubtful.

Lol. Don't let Ryan Murphy fool you. The reason he has 'so much offensive upside' because more than any defender out there or in recent draft history, he neglects like ALL defensive play. It is entirely the reason he has offensive upside. Because there is no redeeming defensive qualities to him. He looks more like a bad defensive forward trying to backcheck. On that last goal he pulled like a Raymond just letting the guy more or less skate by.

I don't even think 'bad' begins to describe Murphy defensively this tournament. It was less than that. I have never seen a defender, let alone even a forward, have so many costly turnovers and bad defensive habits. And he's a frigging defender.

Surprised that Bobbo himself is bringing up the goaltending. Subban was the 2nd best goalie at the tournament, and his abilities, good or bad, did not decide the fate of this team. It was the ultimately the mental breakdown, like he said. Goaltending had nothing to do with it. I disagree that the team with the BEST goalie always wins - the best team wins, period. The team that shows up when it counts wins. The team that can handle the pressure wins.

I know it's dumb to speculate now but I can't help but think back to the bye - it really slowed the momentum for us and inversely greatly built up the American momentum. It'll be better and more fair for all teams next year without them.

Lol. Don't let Ryan Murphy fool you. The reason he has 'so much offensive upside' because more than any defender out there or in recent draft history, he neglects like ALL defensive play. It is entirely the reason he has offensive upside. Because there is no redeeming defensive qualities to him. He looks more like a bad defensive forward trying to backcheck. On that last goal he pulled like a Raymond just letting the guy more or less skate by.

I don't even think 'bad' begins to describe Murphy defensively this tournament. It was less than that. I have never seen a defender, let alone even a forward, have so many costly turnovers and bad defensive habits. And he's a frigging defender.

Lol, Binnington got lit up by the Russian national Junior team at the World Junior Championships...

Broissoit posted a shutout against a WHL team the Lethbridge Hurricanes in a WHL regular season game

Two completely different levels, how can you even compare them this way...

You're right. They are different levels. the CHL allows 20 year olds, so you could argue that the league is more skilled.

I was at that game. Brossoit was very good. I bet the Lethbridge Hurricanes could beat some of those WJC teams, and it's a safe bet that the Oil Kings could too.

Just because TSN isn't covering them at 3AM doesn't mean it's not a high level of amateur hockey. I have seen WHL teams that could steamroll many national WJC teams over the years.

Archived