The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2013 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships

AriGold

If it was not a suspend able hit; it should be.

We need to get to respect the head and hold up.

Happy Canada did not get the big suspension, but...

Yeah that's true.

The thing with this hit is it isn't a charge, Camara is engaged into the hit in advance.

The issue I have is he should have held up, the guy was in a vulnerable spot, no issue with hitting him there but he didn't need to explode through the hit like that and the target was "upper body" lets say, IMO he hit just as much of the head as the body but that sometimes happens in hockey.

I don't think it was 100% clean but it wasn't a bad hit, he just should have held up and stood him up rather than exploding through the hit like he did, he knew the Slovkian was vulnerable and to me the fact that he didn't hold up proves that he wanted to do that to the guy.

Exactly, I think they got the suspension right on this. But Camara still should have held up a bit.

For anyone thinking Camara was going to let up, that's not what you do when your opponents are going for knee on knee hits on your top players. Your job is to hit them so hard that they don't dare try that crap.

Refs were the only reason that hit happened. Had they called the game tighter at the start instead of letting the Slovaks get away with a bunch of dirty plays, then the PK would have let them reconsider their play style.

For anyone thinking Camara was going to let up, that's not what you do when your opponents are going for knee on knee hits on your top players. Your job is to hit them so hard that they don't dare try that crap.

Refs were the only reason that hit happened. Had they called the game tighter at the start instead of letting the Slovaks get away with a bunch of dirty plays, then the PK would have let them reconsider their play style.

At 1:32 you can clearly see Camara's shoulder go into the slovak's chin. I'm not saying it deserves 5 games, but its not a clean hit.

The argument of people needing to keep their head up doesn't work with officials or organizers, all they see is a guy hitting a guy in the head, and will penalize the hitter

Its incidental contact because the Slovak was not only crouching but had his head down. Your gonna get lit up each and every time your head is down. And since experts like McKenzie and even the on-ice officials said it was clean, you're beating a dead horse here.

Also listen to what Gord Miller says at 1:35: No contact to the head

At 1:32 you can clearly see Camara's shoulder go into the slovak's chin. I'm not saying it deserves 5 games, but its not a clean hit.

The argument of people needing to keep their head up doesn't work with officials or organizers, all they see is a guy hitting a guy in the head, and will penalize the hitter

There are two ways of looking at this hit: (1) Is it illegal under IIHF rules, and (2) is it illegal in North America?

I think the reason for disagreement is that people aren't necessarily looking at the hit from the same perspective. Did he deserve the penalty in the WJC tournament under IIHF rules? Maybe. Did he deserve the penalty if we take the North American perspective? No, I don't think so.

In the NHL/AHL/CHL, incidental contact to the head is not considered illegal. By incidental, the leagues mean 'did not target the head'. The only reason the shoulder makes contact with the head is because the Slovak was bent over. There was no intent to 'target the head'. When your head is down like that, it is pretty much impossible NOT to make contact with the head.

Similar to the Kronwall hit on Kesler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKSoNMIIcWY

Kesler in a vulnerable position, Kronwall buries him, no penalty.

IMO, Bob Mckenzie is the leading expert when it comes to analysis on whether a hit is clean or not, as well as understanding how different leagues will view the hit. Bob Mckenzie talked about the hit being clean in the NHL/CHL.

Archived