Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Should Unions be made to publish and disclose their expenditures?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

A bill snaking it's way through the House is trying to do just that. Is this something that needs to be done or is there some ulterior motive behind the bill? If you agree with it, would you also agree that any other Private group of corporation must do the same thing?

Here is a link to the proposed Bill.

http://parl.gc.ca/Ho...03183&File=24#1

Edited by Harbinger, 24 November 2012 - 01:54 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

That's a tough one. If everyone has to disclose spending does that necessarily make it equal? Corporations have it a lot easier, they just need the approval of a board. A union? There are always going to be people that disagree with spending.

#3 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

To their union membership who pays dues? YES

To the general public? No.
Posted Image

#4 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

To their union membership who pays dues? YES

To the general public? No.

Agreed .. business' should to their shareholders ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#5 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,861 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

Shouldn't all businesses make all it's expenditures and financials public?

I don't understand why companies now get better treatment and rights than individuals do.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#6 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,980 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

I don't understand why companies now get better treatment and rights than individuals do.

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I don't believe any individual is required to make their financial information public. An individual has to submit that information to the government, but the government doesn't make that information public as far as I'm aware.

#7 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,630 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

They should publish those sorts of things to me and only me because I said so.
Posted Image

#8 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

All public companies do have their financials open. Anyone can just download their quarterly or annual statements, just analyze them year to year and reading all the notes for their expenses. Mind you, they're not written for Joe and Jane Average.... hence a lot of people just simply ignore them.

Private companies are different, hence they're private. But they do still file taxes that will be audited by the government (making sure someone don't just claim buying a Ferrari as a "business expense" when they're a grocery chain or something) which may or may not be open for the public.

Unions should make their finances transparent. If their union head and reps are raking in way too much money, they'll be losing the PR battle with their members and the public.
Same goes for government officials/bureaucrats, aboriginal leaders, etc.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.