The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A message to Mr.Aquilini, Mr. Bettman and Mr.Fehr

tylernorton

What everyone, including Bettman and Fehr, are forgetting is that hockey is entertainment. What good is a rock concert if no one shows up? What good is a soccer game if there are no fans?

We fans do have a say. We need to collectively band together and refuse to support the NHL form of entertainment when it does eventually come back looking for our money.

The $3.3 Billion HRR these clowns refer to comes from our pockets. I, for one, have closed my wallet for the next 2 years. Not 3 because I do enjoy the "entertainment" and I want it back. However, I do want to send a message to these clowns that what they are doing is not acceptable.

I blame the owners for offering ridiculous contracts and then locking out the players because they don't want to honour those contracts and I blame the millionaire players for asking so much for us to watch them ply their skills.

Mostly, though, I blame the fan for being such fools as to pay the exhorbitant cost of supporting this entertainment. $3.3 Billion dollars could build a lot of schools, hospitals and feed a lot of homeless people.

i support anything that will create some level of pressure to resolve these negotiations over a new collective agreement

but as we saw with the nfl referee and linesman dispute

what gets the attention of a sports league

is when it believes its major sponsors are upset

i believe the best tactic is to sign a petition to boycott the 3 largest sponsors of the nhl

send that petition to each sponsor and not to the league

the nhl does not believe fans will lose interest despite a lock out

i think the sponsors will be less skeptical and they will be heard by the nhl

can some organize a petition of this sort

While the petitions are not a bad idea, i don't think they are really effective. Especially with the terms of this petition(ignoring NHL for 3 years), the NHL and the owners are not likely to take it seriously. I'm pretty sure most of us will get over the lock-out after a month once the hockey is back.

What i propose is the following.. (1 week of the lock-out = 1 home game skipped by the fans once the season is back on) Ex. (it's day 71 of the lock out, that's a little over 10 weeks, therefore we all could skip the first 10 home games once the hockey is back on)

I think it could work if the fans in all of the 30 cities supported this. I'm not sure how it may impact the teams' earnings, but at least it will send them a message.

I realize that it may not be as effective in Canadian markets due to many season ticket holders. No point in skipping games since they already paid for all of them. However, it is much easier for non-season ticket holders to refuse to go to the first 10 or so games..

If you believe this why do you even post here discouraging others to not sign the petition.? If there was even any chance at all this might help end the lockout, why would you discourage this movement? if this petition only helped bring the lockout more negative spotlight in the media, could this not potentially help? We are the fans, we are the ones who pays the bills. the fans give 2.27 billion a year to them, and there is 21,000,000 million fans Do the math, that equates to $108 dollar per fan per year, If we can get 10000 people to sign this petition that 3million dollars of money not going to the nhl. I think if we can get a significant amount of people signing this the media will definetly cover this. If you support hockey support this

Now we have an unbinding arbitrator? Like Fehr and Bettman would take advice from anyone!

Just cancel the season already. A shortened version of the NHL will leave me feeling cheated and, even if the Canucks could somehow take the Stanley in a shortened season, the rest of the league would cry foul so it would seem to be somewhat empty.

These clowns really need to go. I'm not sure what Fehr is getting paid but Bettman at over 7 million is just a crying shame. Oh well, none of the money that supports them will come from my wallet. I'm fed up with this farce of a league. Talk about a bush league.

If your not part of the solution then your part of the problem

Good work starting a petition

Fires usually dont start themselves.

Im part of the problem however because im waiting for the season to start

cash in hand ready to park my rear end in my bigger fatter more expensive Club seat as im sure most people who say they will not be going to the games will pick up the phone when i call them ~~~~ RING RING ~~ HELLO ~~ WANNA GO TO THE CANUCKS GAME ~~~~~ UMMM YES ~~~

You have to understand that going to games and buying merchandise is only a part of the big picture. If you watch a game on TV, the NHL makes money of you, if you watch sprotsnet to see the highlights, the NHL makes money of you, if you read a newspaper to see the standings, the NHL makes money of you, if you log on this site, the NHL makes money of you. Stopping all support has to mean totally ignoring the game. Who is signing on? Really, you liars!

The fans have lost .

However, the fans do not control the league UNLESS they band together and refuse to see the games. In theory we put on a good face and try to boycott, but we love hockey so much it never lasts . We will be back The last lockout not only failed to lose fans, we ended up BOOMING in revenue.

So the owners and union do not fear permanent loss due to lock out. They fear the immediate loss in dollars . Unfortunately for the union, they dont OWN anything and thus have no leverage.

The only small bit of leverage the union has is the temp loss the owners suffer with no hockey until the union returns or the players are replaced.

And on this occasion, the union brought in a hired gun from the outside to BULLY the owners, causing them to dig in and take any losses necessary. The few owners that make money can afford to sit out 10 years or more. They will lose money but they are rich enough they are willing to get what they want in the end.

The union has 90% of their players making salaries that do NOT get affected by new CBAs or salary caps. The top 10% of players are using Fehr to FIGHT on their behalf . Unfortunately, they have a biological clock , and the owners locking them out screws them in a far more devastating way than the owners are screwed.

So in the end , the owners have all power and the union should have just have accepted what was best for the game. 50% , 5 years max contracts, age 28 UFA , and easier waivers to keep players.

They did NOT need Fehr to accomplsih this. They wanted to be GREEDY and keep all their 2005 CBA rights.

Owners put their foot down and said no. Forget it . Wont happen.

What does the union expect to do now? Whine and pout? They are dead in the water. Fire Fehr and give it up. Live to fight another day on the next cba.

If you believe this why do you even post here discouraging others to not sign the petition.? If there was even any chance at all this might help end the lockout, why would you discourage this movement? if this petition only helped bring the lockout more negative spotlight in the media, could this not potentially help? We are the fans, we are the ones who pays the bills. the fans give 2.27 billion a year to them, and there is 21,000,000 million fans Do the math, that equates to $108 dollar per fan per year, If we can get 10000 people to sign this petition that 3million dollars of money not going to the nhl. I think if we can get a significant amount of people signing this the media will definetly cover this. If you support hockey support this

Archived