The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Spengler Cup - Canada Wins!

Snake Doctor

If you did not know the Spengler Cup was first held in 1923 and is often cited as the oldest invitational ice hockey tournament in the world. Every year a handful of Canadian Players who are not currently playing in the NHL form Team Canada for this tournament. A few ex-Canuck noteables would be Brad Isbister and Biron Richie. Also former first overal draft pick Alexander Daigle played in the tornament a few years back.

Since we have a lockout I'm wondering what Team Canada will look like this year and what NHL Players would want to play for Team Canada. If we have a stacked Canadian team I feel we could win the tornament and TSN will make a lot of money from advertisers in their TV deal.

Anyways, let me know what you think about the tournament and possible players on Team Canada.

Someone from the Switzerland bobsleigh team was mentioning this to me the other day. I was chatting with them when I was up in Whistler. There was a World Cup bobsleigh event last week. He was saying that the Canadian team dominates that tournament and have been winning it the past few years. He seemed to have high regards for the Canadian team. I asked him about the American team...he didn't have much to say about them. Apparently it's a pretty exclusive event. You can't get tickets. It's mostly just corporate people.

Someone from the Switzerland bobsleigh team was mentioning this to me the other day. I was chatting with them when I was up in Whistler. There was a World Cup bobsleigh event last week. He was saying that the Canadian team dominates that tournament and have been winning it the past few years. He seemed to have high regards for the Canadian team. I asked him about the American team...he didn't have much to say about them. Apparently it's a pretty exclusive event. You can't get tickets. It's mostly just corporate people.

I have watched the Spengler Cup and it is fun to watch. I have a feeling if there is no CBA in the next week you will see a few notables play in the tournament. Luongo needs some game time. He would be unreal to see play for team canada in the spengler cup. Put Crosby and Stamkos on the first line and this would be even more exciting than the world junior championships.

• 2 weeks later...

Also in order to be eligible to play you have to be playing for an European team. However there is some AHL loophole. Depending if the team who holds your rights allows you to play in teh cup or not. Regardless some of out eligible players would be Tyler Seguin, Jason Spezza, Patrice Bergeron, John Tavares, Matt Duchene, Brooks Laich and Michael Del Zotto. Now as for Rick Nash and Joe Thornton I do not think they are able to play for team Canada as they are playing for HC Davos who is hosting the tournament and I believe cannot leave to play for Canada. Needless to say it will be fun to watch with some higher-end talent on a bigger ice surface.

Also in order to be eligible to play you have to be playing for an European team. However there is some AHL loophole. Depending if the team who holds your rights allows you to play in teh cup or not. Regardless some of out eligible players would be Tyler Seguin, Jason Spezza, Patrice Bergeron, John Tavares, Matt Duchene, Brooks Laich and Michael Del Zotto. Now as for Rick Nash and Joe Thornton I do not think they are able to play for team Canada as they are playing for HC Davos who is hosting the tournament and I believe cannot leave to play for Canada. Needless to say it will be fun to watch with some higher-end talent on a bigger ice surface.

Spengler update...

TORONTO -- Jason Spezza and John Tavares will lead a beefed-up Canada at the Spengler Cup.

Hockey Canada has taken full advantage of the lockout, choosing NHLers who have gone to Europe to get a game. The Edmonton Oilers have a healthy presence on the Spengler team, with Devan Dubnyk, Sam Gagner, Ben Eager and Ryan Smith all wearing Canadian colours.

Canada opens Boxing Day against German club side Adler Mannheim at the annual tournament in Davos, Switzerland.

Archived